Print

Author Topic: Classical music  (Read 6846 times)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 10:49:03 PM »
As for the film composer, he sure has taken a lot of material from other composers. (See: Holst's The Planets, Dvorak's 9th Symphony)
That was a joke.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2008, 12:58:44 AM »
Gustav Holst! Now there's a Romantic style composer I should not have forgotten in my initial list.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2008, 09:17:05 AM »
If listening to classical music by itself a very much prefer Beethoven.  His Fur Elise and Moonlight Sonata are to of my favorites, but who can forget the 5th symphony.   

I also love to watch classic Bugs Bunny done to classical music.  The one were Elmer sings, "I killed the Wabbit" is classic.  The one with Bugs as a barber is also great. 

Classical music in movies works very well.  Sometimes I like the music better than the movie.  2001 is a perfect example of this.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2008, 07:08:55 PM »
2001 is a perfect example of many things. *Sigh* what a great, great film.
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2008, 07:31:07 PM »
This is funny because my music composition professor last semester was talking about how it was revolutionary when it came out, but considering it now it's not so amazing.
That was a joke.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2008, 08:28:40 PM »
If you are talking about 2001, that movie is great for timeless reasons, not graphix or anything.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2008, 10:39:28 PM »
I think he was mainly talking about how it gets really boring after a while. I haven't seen it in a long time so I should make a judgment for myself.
Anyway, I think TEM is right which renders Ambulance Y wrong, i.e. it's good because it's attained that place in the film pantheon, not because of intrinsic measurable goodness.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2008, 08:39:26 AM »
It's nothing short of miraculous how classical music worked in 2001 (I didn't know for a while that "Thus Sprach Zarathustra", or whatever it's called, wasn't made specifically for the film). That, and it's just a cool flick (as I understand it, there's no talking for the first and last fifteen minutes, or something). That scene where man discovers the weapon still gives me goosebumps...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2008, 09:38:32 AM »
My favorite pianist:

"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2008, 11:00:32 AM »
Heh heh, good old Schroeder. He's always playing Beethoven on his toy piano. Poor Lucy...

What's your problem, Cambodian?

Print