Print

Author Topic: Friday the 13th  (Read 17570 times)

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2008, 01:23:31 PM »
"As of October 19, 2006, the impact probability for April 13, 2036, was calculated as 1 in 45,000. An additional impact date in 2037 was also identified; the impact probability for that encounter was calculated as 1 in 12.3 million."

Good chances? I think not.

If any asteroid came near us nowdays, we'd probably have more then enough nukes to blow it up five times over, but imagine what kind of weapons technology we'll have by that time. Much more powerful. Combined with the low chances of it hitting us, and that thing might as well say it's prayers.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2008, 02:57:18 PM »
Ask any scientist and they'll tell you nuking an asteroid in space just makes lots of little tiny asteroids that'll just hit Earth over a wider area. Your best bet is to propel it away from Earth's orbit.

And about those probabilities: 1 in 12.3 million is pretty distant, but 1 in 45,000 is frighteningly plausible when you consider the fact that massively destructive cosmic events like supernovas or gamma ray bursts (when a black hole turns inside-out or whatever and destroys the crap out of everything within a hundred or so lightyears of it) are pretty common. If we see that stuff in the tiny portion of the universe we've discovered, imagine how often it happens in the whole universe. Then calculate probabilities.
every

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2008, 03:08:57 PM »
No, the best thing to do would be to put it in orbit and save it for future mining or study. Assuming of course that we would be able to work out the gravitation issues.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2008, 03:26:25 PM »
Uh...there was no need to say that. He didn't know, so there's no point in calling him crazy.

I'm sorry. (Pouts)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2008, 07:34:35 PM »
The best thing to do would be to watch Armageddon and hope for the best.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2008, 08:57:21 PM »
Because we all know it's easier to train oil drillers to be astronauts than to teach astronauts to use drills.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2008, 12:56:18 PM »
"As of October 19, 2006, the impact probability for April 13, 2036, was calculated as 1 in 45,000. An additional impact date in 2037 was also identified; the impact probability for that encounter was calculated as 1 in 12.3 million."

Good chances? I think not.
Lol, thanks. I have to remember more things when I hear them.
One Ring to rule them all. One Ring to find them. One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2008, 07:36:46 AM »
This discussion reminds me of global warming climate crisis, because there's about 1 in 12.3 million that will happen, as well.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2008, 10:29:36 AM »
Except that the amount of plastics I throw in the dump doesn't determine the likelihood of getting hit by a meteor.

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2008, 11:48:58 AM »
Is anyone else constantly surrounded by environmental hypocrites? I'm talking about the Ugg-wearing orange-colored preteen dimwits that say that they care about the environment, but drive around in big white SUVs and never take a second out of their utterly undemanding lives to recycle. What really drives me up the wall are the people who say that they care but actually don't. I'm less irritated with the people who are at least honest and say that they couldn't give a rat's ***. I bike to where I need to go, and I recycle, but I don't advertise my small sacrifice like a junior Al Gore. Sheesh I'm ashamed of my generation.
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2008, 03:24:11 PM »
This discussion reminds me of global warming climate crisis, because there's about 1 in 12.3 million that will happen, as well.

There's a 1 in 12.3 million chance that climate crisis will "happen"? Like, overnight, boom, suddenly all the polar bears are dead and the world's flooded? 'Cause that, my friend, ain't how it works. It's already "happened", has been "happening" for about forty years now, and will continue to "happen" if things continue on their current course.
every

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2008, 06:05:54 PM »
What? A 1 in 12.3 million chance global warming will happen? Those are some bad chances, but it looks like it happened anyway!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 12:03:48 AM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2008, 09:20:07 PM »
That's why The Day After Tomorrow bugged me. I mean, it was a great set-up for a movie, but I think it totally destroyed the credibility of the reality of global warming. FYI, for those unaware, when the climate does change, it's not going to happen with fuel in people's tanks freezing in ten seconds and walls of ice chasing people down corridors.

That, and the ending sucked. It's like "Oh, it was just a really, really, really bad storm...?"

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2008, 09:21:54 PM »
Haha remember when they kept calling the dog over so it wouldn't freeze? Ah what a lame movie.
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2008, 12:04:30 AM »
Actually, I enjoyed Day After Tomorrow. Bad science, but it was still pretty entertaining.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Print