Not really - it's a great game.
15 (32.6%)
NO, it's the best game ever!
9 (19.6%)
I've never played it.
9 (19.6%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Print

Author Topic: Is Super Mario RPG overrated?  (Read 44891 times)

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2008, 05:28:18 PM »
Nice use of alliteration, Suffix.
No! I don't want that!

« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2008, 09:12:55 PM »
Nice use of alliteration, Suffix.
I was going to say something similarly to said segment of text, but decided I would end up using alliteration in my post which would just be a pain to read after the previous reiteration of letters.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2008, 10:21:58 PM »
SMRPG is a good game, but it's way overrated.  The fans keep saying that its so superior to the Paper Mario series without any good reasons. "it has Geno" or "it was developed by Square" are not very good reasons.
Victory... is my destiny!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2008, 10:58:46 PM »
I would call Super Mario RPG better than Paper Mario because Paper Mario's plot is so uneventful. Bowser kidnaps Peach in most of the RPGs (actually not most, but he always tries and almost as often as he does, he kind of does), but he only really has her in his clutches until the end of Paper Mario. No plot twists, no shockers, nothing. Basic.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2008, 12:46:59 AM »
Super Mario RPG is also more fun to play than Paper Mario.
That was a joke.

« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2008, 01:31:29 AM »
And I already said this, but I liked Super Mario RPG more because HP values were higher, so I got a greater sense of damage and didn't feel so gypped if I was robbed of making 1HP more damage on an enemy. It's not cool to feel intimidated by a boss with 50HP. That's really the only major reason I didn't like Paper Mario, a deal-breaker for me.
You didn't say wot wot.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2008, 09:12:05 AM »
Paper Mario's plot is so uneventful. No plot twists, no shockers, nothing. Basic.

Paper Mario does have some plot twists. One of them is when you're supposed to fight the Koopa Bros. in Bowser's Castle, but Jr. Koopa hits them out of the way and fights you himself.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2008, 09:55:27 AM »
Paper Mario's plot is so uneventful. No plot twists, no shockers, nothing. Basic.

It's true that the actual plot isn't that exciting, but the characters are a lot more interesting and funny, in my opinion. I'd take characters like Tubba Blubba, Kolorardo, General Guy, Kammy Koopa, Bow, and others over a lot of the SMRPG lot - which includes a lot of boring characters like Mack, Punchinelo, and the highly overrated Geno.

Another gripe - I don't like that defense action  commands are basically pointless in SMRPG. You can get through basically the whole game without even using them at all - which is inevitable, considering that they're very hard to pull off. Paper Mario has a much greater emphasis on defense action commands, because minimizing damage with them can really make a difference in the game.
What is a mystery? Just go inside my head, and you'll find out.

« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2008, 10:16:52 AM »
I like the battle system better in Paper Mario because it was way more consistent.  You didn't randomly miss and the numbers weren't unreasonably big, so you could calculate how much damage you did to your enemy and how much they would do to you.  I also like how there is more strategy to Paper Mario's system like flipping over koopas or causing an earthquake to damage multiple enemies. 

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2008, 11:14:15 AM »
Attacks that target multiple enemies are included in both games. Whether it's an earthquake or not is irrelevant.
If you didn't bother to learn the timing of defense timed hits, that isn't the game's fault.
If you don't like the writing in SMRPG as much as PM, that's a matter of taste and not something that makes one game better than the other.
I think I've said this before, but I'm of the opinion that it's much more pleasing to do triple-digit damage than to single-digit.
Missing "randomly" in battle is based on accuracy/evade stats. It makes sense to build in a bit of this since the game isn't occurring in realtime.
That was a joke.

« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2008, 11:34:35 AM »
If you're talking about the Defense action being useless in Super Mario RPG, then yeah, pretty much. I rarely used it. It does cut damage on you in half, and combined with the timed defense, can cut damage on you to a quarter I think. That's pretty useful in matches where you'd otherwise be killed in one or two turns. But more often than not, my allies could take a beating and still keep on ticking, so it was just better to attack.

If you talking about timed defense... well, Toad taught you how to do that at the start of the game. I forget if he said anything about the timings being slightly different. Used to bug me at first because an enemy quickly races up to you and waits a second before attacking, throwing off your accuracy. But that's part of the fun y'know. Timed defense is the only way (that I remember) to avoid instant-kill attacks if you don't have the Safety Ring (although it sets your HP to 1). ...Man, that Safety Ring was awesome. And it's immensely satisfying to do a timed defense against that one boss in Monstro Town who has invisible attacks.
You didn't say wot wot.

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2008, 05:58:38 PM »
Super Mario RPG is also more fun to play than Paper Mario.
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2008, 06:23:57 PM »

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2008, 06:39:14 PM »
Is there some epidemic that prevents people from responding to the post directly above theirs without quoting it?  It's really easy to not quote the person before you.  And if someone else posts before you finish typing your own post, the computer will warn you that someone else posted something.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2008, 07:29:42 PM »
Sometimes I do it without realizing it... I can remember a few "recent" instances. It's just a bad habit... even though there was a time when I could respond to posts right above mine without even thinking about not quoting them. And I'm not talking about pre-Simple Machines forums.
I'm a horrible person.

Print