Not really - it's a great game.
15 (32.6%)
NO, it's the best game ever!
9 (19.6%)
I've never played it.
9 (19.6%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Print

Author Topic: Is Super Mario RPG overrated?  (Read 44673 times)

« on: July 09, 2008, 04:56:59 PM »
For a while, I've honestly been wondering why Super Mario RPG has gotten so much praise. I know it has a special place in many people's hearts - especially because of the storyline and memorable characters- but I really don't see the reason for its immense popularity. I've played it - and it's really quite boring, IMO. Basically all you do is fight a ton of enemies that are all the same, and then fight a boss. Rinse, repeat - all the way to the end of the game (note - I haven't actually played the whole game - it got too boring too quickly).

So, I'm wondering if anyone else shares my opinion. Does anyone else out there think that SMRPG is not all its cracked up to be?
What is a mystery? Just go inside my head, and you'll find out.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 05:04:50 PM »
I think it's an amazing game overall, just like all the other Mario RPGs, but on some terms, overrated. For example, the special moves have very little variety, usually requiring you to simply tap A, circle the D-Pad, or hold A to charge up something. Other than that, I love it.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 05:19:29 PM »
But keep in mind that Super Mario RPG was essentially the first RPG to require you to do anything for special moves.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 05:43:17 PM »
Basically all you do is fight a ton of enemies that are all the same, and then fight a boss.
Couldn't that describe pretty much any RPG?
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 06:05:18 PM »
Mario RPG is the precursor to Kingdom Hearts. That is, it threw characters who were generally not in an RPG (the Mario crew) into a world with a very deep story. Every character had wonderful back-story, every monster had unique animations, every town was full of life.. I'm not going to go so far and say it was perfect, but it came pretty close.

It has aged very well, and I am somewhat suprised that it is not on the VC yet. Like Super Mario Kart, but that's a rant for another topic..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 06:14:54 PM »
Hm, I wouldn't say it's overrated. It had a great story, well developed characters and an awesome soundtrack. I guess that's pretty much what I ask from an RPG. It's too bad they never realesed it here in Europe though.

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 06:19:31 PM »
It's a very fun game I never beat completely.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 08:55:37 PM »
Never played all the way through
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 09:10:54 PM »
[insert variety of insults here]
SMRPG is better than you lot.
That was a joke.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 10:58:47 PM »
I've never played the game myself, but I recall enjoying the various characters' humor ("You couldn't chase down a pumpkin!").  SMRPG also brought about "Super Pipe House", one of my favorite Mario songs.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 07:30:36 AM »
Couldn't that describe pretty much any RPG?

Well, maybe somewhat. However, the Paper Mario series is totally different - there's a ton of fun puzzles in the games, and the enemy fights are a lot more fun, IMO. The main problem I have with SMRPG is that you always end up fighting one or two kinds of enemies in an area, and you fight them a ton of times. When I played the part with the shyguys invading Toad Town and Peach's castle, I fought at least 20 sets of two or three shyguys. All exactly the same - which got very boring.

Paper Mario, on the other hand, has more of variety in the enemy fights - and there aren't as much of them, which makes it less monotonous.

Insert Quote
But keep in mind that Super Mario RPG was essentially the first RPG to require you to do anything for special moves.

True. Actually, I don't really mean that SMRPG is a bad game. For its time, it was revolutionary. I just personally think that it hasn't aged as well as other mario games - with exception to the great storyline.

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 08:24:44 AM »
So is this game out for the Virtual console or what. Cause I wanna buy it.
Probably likes Sonic games better than anyone else on the fungi forums.

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 11:06:23 AM »
I actually have the original (it's pretty tough to find these days) but I don't really play it that often. I love PM:TTYD but I doubt the two are very similar.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 11:21:57 AM »
No, they're not.
You guys should never play any RPGs if you think SMRPG is monotonous. It actually has a very well crafted game engine with great control (unlike Paper Mario's sludgefest) and fighting a squad of enemies hardly takes any time anyway. If you don't fight enemies, how are you going to level up? And why complain about a Much More Fun Than Paper Mario battle system? And how does Paper Mario have a greater variety of enemies per location? (It doesn't. Fighting the same type of enemies in a given area is what happens with all RPGs.)
That was a joke.

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 01:55:47 PM »
No, they're not.
You guys should never play any RPGs if you think SMRPG is monotonous. It actually has a very well crafted game engine with great control (unlike Paper Mario's sludgefest) and fighting a squad of enemies hardly takes any time anyway. If you don't fight enemies, how are you going to level up? And why complain about a Much More Fun Than Paper Mario battle system? And how does Paper Mario have a greater variety of enemies per location? (It doesn't. Fighting the same type of enemies in a given area is what happens with all RPGs.)

Sludgefest? Much more fun than Paper Mario? Come on - Paper Mario isn't boring at all! And IMO, the battle system in Paper Mario is simply amazing - the best I've ever played in an RPG. This is partly because it relies totally on strategy and barely at all on luck (and the latter makes battles rely to much on chance and less on sound battle plans), and also because executing attacks and special moves is a lot more satisfying.

Keep in mind, this is my opinion, but I know I'm not the only one who thinks that. ;)

Print