Print

Author Topic: I would like to play an easy style RPG...  (Read 9397 times)

« on: July 18, 2008, 02:46:28 PM »
I'm looking for a laid back kind of RPG- like the Mario RPGS and games like Earthbound and Chrono Trigger. (Chrono Trigger has probably been the best yet...)

None of that hard, story lacking(Puts up flame shield)trash like Final Fantasy. (When I say story lacking, I mean there is a LOT of fighting, mostly for no reason,{like Dragon Warrior}).

Thank you for the help, and not bashing me.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 02:55:02 PM »
Classic Final Fantasy is definitely the story-as-an-excuse-for-a-game type of RPG. But the fighting is always for a reason (to gain levels).
I'm trying to think of other RPGs similar to those you mentioned but at the moment they escape me. I'm not sure how you happen to like Chrono Trigger given your criteria though.
That was a joke.

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 02:55:53 PM »
I find your post weird because

A) I wouldn't call EarthBound "laid back". It's pretty brutal, if I remember.

B) Are you talking about Final Fantasy 1 or FF in general? Because SMRPG and Chrono Trigger are very similar in overall design and story/combat balance to FFIV - FFIX.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 02:58:10 PM »
You could play this RPG I made using RPG Maker. It's pretty laid back and uncomplicated.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 04:40:57 PM »
I'd suggest De World Ends Wit Chu (although the final boss will break you on any difficulty) and, what the hey, Dead Rising (just ignore the time limit and you'll do fine).
every

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 05:17:30 PM »
What about Xenogears/saga?  I hear at least the later ones are more movie than game.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 05:19:49 PM »
I think you have the final boss and the optional boss mixed up, Glorb.

Lately I've been playing RPGs with loads of combat and either a decent story as well or no story at all (tactics games for the former, Diablo II and Dragon Quest Warrior for the latter), so I can't really say anything other than additional suggestion of The World Ends With You.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 08:03:11 AM by WarpRattler »

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 06:00:36 PM »
I think you have the final boss and the optional boss mixed up, Glorb.

Hmm? Optional boss?
every

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 08:17:55 PM »
A) I wouldn't call EarthBound "laid back". It's pretty brutal, if I remember.

Agreed. The exploding trees and 'lil ufos at the beginning of the game made my life miserable.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 09:31:54 PM »
I guess I would recommend a pokemon game.  It's fun to replay over, an over, and over... and the caves are pretty easy to navigate and everything.  I'm not sure if that qualifies it as laidback, but RPG usually aren't.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 09:33:23 PM »
To answer MB's post, Xenogears requires a fair amount of grinding and strategic equippage in its later stages. And has very few movies.
Haven't played enough Xenosaga games to know about their movie/game ratio yet.

P.S. Pokemon games are terribly boring.
That was a joke.

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 10:11:10 PM »
No they're not.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 11:14:51 PM »
Okay, how about just plain terrible.

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2008, 01:27:40 AM »
Dead Rising
Dude asks for an "easy style RPG" and you recommend a hardcore action survival game.

Lately I've been playing RPGs with loads of combat and either a decent story as well or no story at all (tactics games for the former, Diablo II and Dragon Quest for the latter)
Diablo II has a decent story.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2008, 02:56:57 AM »
Agreed. The exploding trees and 'lil ufos at the beginning of the game made my life miserable.

The best part is that that little canyon is named Peaceful Rest Valley. Aye, one of the least peaceful parts of the game...
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Print