Print

Author Topic: I would like to play an easy style RPG...  (Read 9396 times)

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2008, 08:02:39 AM »
The phrasing of my earlier statement was way wrong. D2 does have a decent story, but I can ignore it for long periods of time and do stuff that's technically grinding (even though the experience gains are negligible) but doesn't feel like it because I'm just having fun setting stuff on fire. I guess I can also ignore it while trying to do realm play and just keep laughing at my 1500 ping.

Main-series Pokémon is horrible. Play one of the spin-offs (even though the RPGs in that category are definitely not "laid-back") or Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker instead.

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2008, 03:41:59 PM »
Well, Secret of Mana is nice and laid-back I think. As long as you're at a good level and you know the attack patterns of your enemies (that's the only possible hangup early on, of learning when to attack enemies and how they move. You should have seen when I was getting my tail kicked by a Rabite until I finally "got" it), it will be smooth sailing. I'm a fan of its unique battle system where you fight enemies on the map in realtime. And once you get magic, bosses are trivial to beat. Combine that with beautiful locations and music, a flying dragon for transportation later in the game, and my belief that there has never been a Mana game since that could match it... you've got a winner. Secret of Evermore is very similar, with some new ideas and limited traveling through time. And Seiken Densetsu 3 is the true sequel to Secret of Mana, although I don't care that they changed the battle system there.

Final Fantasy X is a turn-based RPG with the best innovations I've seen in an RPG and a good taste of that Final Fantasy flavor. People might say to go for FF12 instead, or say that nothing matches the brilliance of FF7 or FF6 (FF3 to Americans), but FF10 was the only Final Fantasy game I've been able to stick with for the turn-based combat, appealing graphics, and cool unconventional ideas. It also seems to go on forever. Took me 60 hours to beat, and that's still not close to getting every last secret. My only big complaint with FF10 is the sometimes corny dialogue and awkward delivery, lip synching that usually doesn't sync well, some strange animations while someone's talking, and the inability for a character to stay perfectly still during a scripted sequence. So when Tidus goes to put his hand on Yuna's shoulder, it looks like Tidus's hand has a case of the jitters, and it doesn't rest comfortably on the shoulder. This is apparent in the frickin' intro, even. But in fairness, you forget and look over that stuff after a while. And the dialogue seems to get less corny as it goes on (a full playthrough might make the early dialogue make sense too).

Okami is another excellent action RPG. Get it on PS2 or Wii, doesn't matter, just play it. Might have to stick with it a while to really get into it, but it's an entertaining game and so far is the best wolf-character I've ever played as. That's really why I played it in the first place, to play as a wolf (Zelda Twilight Princess's wolf doesn't move as smoothly). It is flawed, I'll admit that. It's ridiculously easy to beat, this is the easiest RPG I've ever played, at the level of Super Mario RPG's difficulty. Combat gets monotonous real fast, but then, most RPGs have you pressing the Attack button 95% of the time anyway. No really tough puzzles to challenge the noodle. There's only a few minor parts near the end (usually optional) that honestly get tough, and man are they tough. For completionists, try getting all the Stray Beads.
You didn't say wot wot.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2008, 03:43:18 PM »
Dude asks for an "easy style RPG" and you recommend a hardcore action survival game.

...with RPG elements that's partly about shopping for clothes.
every

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2008, 10:28:02 PM »
Okami isn't an RPG; it's a Zelda game.
That was a joke.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2008, 02:28:24 AM »
And if Zelda is an RPG, so is Metroid.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2008, 03:21:50 AM »
Pokémon is only as cool as you allow it to be. I set no limit.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2008, 03:41:18 AM »
...with RPG elements that's partly about shopping for clothes.
Very extremely light RPG elements. And that's not shopping; it's called looting.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2008, 10:01:50 AM »
Details.

And if Zelda is an RPG, so is Metroid.

A Metroid RPG would rewl so hard.
every

Hacker Pikachu 25

• Technicolor nightmare
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2008, 11:14:59 PM »
Pokémon is only as cool as you allow it to be. I set no limit.
I don't get it. But yes go for Pokemon.
Klonoa is the best game I've played YET!!!

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2008, 09:26:34 PM »
lol, Super Mario Sunshine.
"it's always the present"

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2008, 09:46:17 PM »
I don't get it. But yes go for Pokemon.
The mats in that secret base of mine play the finished race theme from F-Zero GX. It's also the new victory tune for Captain Falcon in Brawl, if that's of easier access... but, I know you don't own a Wii yet.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2008, 07:49:59 PM »
Wow, I had no idea people were making music with mats.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2008, 09:27:40 PM »
I have a feeling that people tend to forget the real wonderful thing about main-series Pokémon games: exploration. The excitement of exploring new areas and encountering new Pokémon is what makes it so exciting-- which unfortunately means that to make new main-series games, they often have to develop new Pokémon. Once you've beaten the Elite Four, you're generally out of luck, and you feel that the only way to play the game is to level grind. That's what ticks people off so much, I think.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 11:12:27 PM by Suffix »

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2008, 10:02:36 PM »
G/S/C for the win--post-Elite Four, you have Kanto.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2008, 04:48:33 PM »
Contact was pretty Earthbound-like, to my knowledge....

Print