Print

Author Topic: Video Game Soundtrack thread  (Read 10288 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 05:21:41 PM »
You need to buy either the soundtrack or the game, and it's impossible to tell if anyone really has.
every

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 06:01:07 PM »
Am I the only one that hates vgcats?
Don't use real life to avoid videogames, it is not healthy to escape from problems.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 06:27:47 PM »
No.

Anyway they're not legal because you're freely distributing copyrighted material from a copyrighted game.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2008, 09:07:15 PM »
Am I the only one that hates vgcats?
In addition to CW... no.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2008, 10:37:05 PM »
I'm not a big fan of VG Cats. Sometimes there are good ones, sometimes they make me want to punch something. Usually nothing in between those two reactions. Except the Super Effective series... that one's looking okay.

Anyway... it seems like this was never a thread about video game soundtracks so much as a "looks I has vidjagem soundtrack donload." Nah, it's not legal. Also, ShadowBrian is right about OC ReMix.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2008, 03:33:52 PM »
It that's true then how come VGMs, NSFs, GBS, SPCs, USFs, PSFs, etc are all legal? It's the same thing.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2008, 05:47:12 PM »
They aren't legal.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2008, 06:27:19 PM »
Well then, how come cracking DRM-protected games and distributing them over BitTorrent is legal? It's the same thing.
every

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2008, 07:05:53 AM »
How come killing a hobo behind Wal-Mart is legal? It's the same thing.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2008, 07:14:58 AM »
How come assassinating key national leaders and starting a global thermonuclear war is legal? It's the same thing.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2008, 12:56:56 PM »
Where did all this stupidity come from on ROMs and SPCs being legal? Reminds me of the old argument that it's legal to have a ROM only if you own a copy of the original game, otherwise you must delete the ROM "within 24 hours". Not sure what the rule is on backups for personal use, I believe that's legal, although I've never had a game die out on me before I was done playing it. 24 hours, I doubt there's an actual rule along those lines, you possess something illegal and it's illegal no matter how long you have it. Unless you're doing "fair use", but people are so quick to squash that idea.

Saw an Eddie Izzard sketch on YouTube:
"I claim India for Britain."
"You can't claim us. We live here! There's five hundred million of us."
"Do you have a flag?"
"We don't need a bloody flag, this is our country you *******!"
"No flag, no country! You can't have one. That's the rules... that... I've just made up!"

I know it's scary that some people know something's illegal yet do it anyway and don't feel guilty about it... but I also feel there should be a line when something's just too much of a hassle to get legally. What do you do about really old games you want to play? Buy the videogame and console off eBay? What if it's an old computer game that won't run on Windows XP or DOSbox? This only seems to be something that companies address once a huge percentage of their customers start complaining, otherwise it's not worth the effort to do something special for the two or three people.

As for Mother 3... if it were sold in America, would it really get enough sales to justify the effort? Sure, every Starmen.net fan will pick it up, but probably not other people. Okami for PS2 sold poorly in... everywhere... and Okami for Wii sold poorly as well (being an inferior port probably didn't help). So sometimes there won't be the incentive to bring an old game back because it just wouldn't justify the effort. Bringing Super Mario Bros. back a million times, however, makes sense because we keep on buying it over and over.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 01:21:58 PM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2008, 04:04:19 PM »
POSTING ILLEGAL FILES
How come killing a hobo behind Wal-Mart is legal? It's the same thing.
How come assassinating key national leaders and starting a global thermonuclear war is legal? It's the same thing.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2008, 04:54:53 PM »
What's this nonsense about Okami Wii being an inferior port?

And while I'm not really against emulation, I do own multiple old computers and game systems because it's more fun to play on the real thing.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2008, 07:37:47 PM »
I only played a little bit of the original, but I can attest that the Wii port of Okami is better.

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2008, 02:22:31 AM »
Well, although I've never played Okami Wii, what killed all interest for me was hearing that the credits sequence was cut out. Supposedly because the "Reset" song was copyrighted or whatever. Another theory was that they just couldn't show the Clover logo, and because the credits sequence is prerendered, they decided to ditch it instead of trying to create a new one or maybe fading out before the logo shows up.

But come on, cutting out the ENTIRE credits sequence? As an article pointed out, that means the names of everyone who worked on the original game... that's gone. Plus, I thought the credits were one of the best parts of the game; a satisfying reward for all your hard work.

I guess someone who's never played the original would think the short ending was all there was. But man, they don't know what they're missing... unless they look it up on YouTube.

Other Okami Wii complaints I usually hear include shape recognition being more difficult (I know there's a button to force drawing a straight line, but I know I have a very shaky hand, and crossing a name off a list on PS2 was hard enough), waggle controls not working well (that I can live with because I don't use the dodging feature much)... and on the outside, all the hullabaloo about the IGN watermark on the Okami Wii cover art.

I almost love all the attention the IGN watermark got, though. First, it's hilarious that it happened, although someone probably got fired for it. And then the IGN watermark appeared AGAIN on one of those Okami Wii strategy guides. In a slightly different place, even. Capcom really pulled through and offered alternate cover art, including a fixed version of the original cover. But it took a while to ship out the covers. And then they still couldn't ship the covers on time. Eventually they figured "we made customers wait so long for these things... what the hey, we'll send every customer ALL THREE COVERS".

I believe for the most part that Okami Wii would control well and still be as beautiful as before, maybe more so. But it sounds like there was a lack of polish on this port. On the other hand, Ready at Dawn had to remake a lot of stuff from scratch, and yeah, they probably had to make tough decisions because they couldn't do everything exactly right as before. I still think cutting out the credits was ridiculous though.
...I really should buy Okami Wii one of these days, I'm making it sound like it's 10% of what the PS2 game was when it's more like 99%. Credits might not matter to some people, even though the credits were awesome. And since it's too much of a hassle for me to hook my PS2 up to my honking new HDTV (GameCube games look pretty ugly on that, in my opinion), I'd probably cry if I saw the PS2 version all blurred, so the Wii version would fix that.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 02:32:14 AM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

Print