Print

Author Topic: Why Melee Is Better Than Brawl  (Read 57432 times)

« Reply #180 on: November 02, 2008, 01:01:44 PM »
Gamestop always slaps stickers on game cart and it really p***** me off.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #181 on: November 03, 2008, 03:33:01 PM »
I'll occasionally step into GameStop to see what they have, but I hardly ever buy anything there anymore.
I usually look through the bargain bins in various mass merchandise chains.  Most of those games suck, but you can find some good ones in there once in a while.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #182 on: November 03, 2008, 05:02:44 PM »
I hate the fact they Gamestop puts about 4500 stickers all over their games so if you decide to take them back, they'll take one look at it and say "OH SEEMS U HAVE BOUGHT IT HERE SIR I CAN GIVE YOU..... HMM 3 OR 4 STORE CREDIT DOLLARS" I usually try and peel them all off and sell it back to them for more.... which works.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 02:33:52 AM by Trainman »
Formerly quite reasonable.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #183 on: November 03, 2008, 10:41:17 PM »
Everywhere I go, used games are 99% old sports games. Hmm, I wonder why...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #184 on: November 04, 2008, 02:26:24 AM »
Everywhere I go, used games are 99% old sports games. Hmm, I wonder why...
I experienced that too. Makes me wonder what the resell value of sports games are (who wants to play a football or baseball game with an outdated roster? I guess players could create their own roster, but still...). I have a hard enough time remembering the differences between the 12 or so Final Fantasy titles, I don't know how anyone could look at "Madden (insert year here)" and know off the top of their head what was good or bad about it unless they played it a lot. Worse, the box art tends to look similar (even across sports - thanks a lot, EA, now I can't tell sports games apart from a far distance). What's the difference between Madden NFL 2002 and 2003? I don't know.

I forget what game store I was at recently (I think it was called GameCrazy), but it reminded me why used game stores rock so much: vintage games, consoles, and peripherals. Behind a glass case were a couple shelves of NES, SNES, and N64 games all neatly laid out. As I glanced through it and saw several timeless games, I was reminded how special these little cartridges were. Reminded me back when Half-Price Books inexplicably sold NES games.

And to the person who asked what the point of Falco was in Melee (that was in this thread, right?), I used Falco because he was a faster, more nimble version of Fox. I do like nimble characters. Falco also just looks better than Fox. I hate Falco in Brawl though (least of the reasons being that he's slower), particularly for that straight-up attack. I remember thinking Luigi in Super Smash Bros. was useless for his Up + B going straight up rather than at an angle, which makes it very difficult to use that move to get back on stage (in my experience). Well, I thought the same of Falco.
You didn't say wot wot.

Sqrt2

« Reply #185 on: November 04, 2008, 07:17:01 AM »
I hate Falco in Brawl though (least of the reasons being that he's slower), particularly for that straight-up attack.

Same here!

Also I hate the fact that a couple of characters that I used quite often in Melee (Peach, Sheik) got nerfed in the transition from Melee to Brawl (and the Peach Bomber is now completely useless - thanks Sakurai! *shakes fists*). And as for Mario, I sincerely hope that his FLUDD move disappears by the next installment. 
AA fanboy and proud!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #186 on: November 04, 2008, 07:41:46 AM »
Peach's recovery in Melee balanced out her character well, but I'm sure someone at HAL thought it was broken...
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #187 on: November 04, 2008, 07:50:01 AM »
And as for Mario, I sincerely hope that his FLUDD move disappears by the next installment. 

I loved using the old B-down just to get my opponent off my back! I sincerely hope that the moveset from Melee stays intact in the next instalment as well! (as well as Luigi's and Marth's)
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #188 on: November 04, 2008, 07:51:01 AM »
A happy medium might (have) be(en) better. Maybe he spins around and sprays with the FLUDD simultaneously?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #189 on: November 04, 2008, 08:14:51 AM »
...Luigi got negative changes in Brawl? I mean, I always found him unusable in Melee.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #190 on: November 04, 2008, 09:55:25 AM »
Makes me wonder what the resell value of sports games are
Where I work, we buy them for about $1. The last two years maybe a little more, but usually $1 is about right.
That was a joke.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #191 on: November 04, 2008, 12:51:01 PM »
I forget what game store I was at recently (I think it was called GameCrazy), but it reminded me why used game stores rock so much: vintage games, consoles, and peripherals. Behind a glass case were a couple shelves of NES, SNES, and N64 games all neatly laid out. As I glanced through it and saw several timeless games, I was reminded how special these little cartridges were. Reminded me back when Half-Price Books inexplicably sold NES games.
I wish there was a GameCrazy in my area.  There are two GameStops near campus, and they don't take used games for consoles older than GCN/PS2/X-Box.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #192 on: November 04, 2008, 12:55:29 PM »
I have a GameCrazy near where I live, but I don't remember the last time I went there. There was also a good store named Shakespeare's. It was the coolest store. It had mostly old games and system, but it had some new games. It's kind of unfortunate that the guy who owned it got arrested for child molestation so they had to close it down...

Edit: Gamestop is so cheap. I tried to sell a brand-new, never used, Xbox 360 game and they only gave me like, 40 cents for it. No lie.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 12:57:23 PM by Glitchy »

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #193 on: November 04, 2008, 01:07:44 PM »
Selling used games doesn't depend on whether you never opened it. It depends on how much the store is selling it for and how many they have.
That was a joke.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #194 on: November 04, 2008, 01:14:41 PM »
I sold my copy of Ping Pals at GameStop.  I don't remember how little I got for it, but I should've just thrown that game away.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Print