Print

Author Topic: BEST AND WORST IN SERIES? Week 32: 2D Game  (Read 12483 times)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2008, 07:43:45 PM »
Yoshi's Island DS... isn't exactly bad, but I majorly lost interest somewhere around world 3. Also, there is exactly one musical theme in the whole game. And it's only like 4 bars long. This makes the game seem even more boring than it is in the first place.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2008, 07:56:27 PM »
Actually, most Mario games remix the same song throughout. There was a discussion about this somewhere else a bit back...

NSMB is less good than... Super Mario Land? SML2? I think not.
Well, at least those two were semi-original.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2008, 08:46:51 PM »
Yeah, but most of those remixed songs are more than 4 bars are considerably catchier than the one in YIDS.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2008, 09:08:49 PM »
I'm pretty sure I was the one who started the discussion. Whoever did YIDS had the right idea, but failed miserably in the execution.
That was a joke.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2008, 10:09:55 PM »
This makes the game seem even more boring than it is in the first place.

If you haven't played past World 3, then I suggest you start it up again. If you say you lost interest in Yoshi's Island DS, then you must've not liked the first Yoshi's Island because both have almost identical gameplay. When you get to World 5 things start to get a lot more difficult.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2008, 10:19:49 PM »
You summed up everything I don't like about YIDS, I'm afraid. It's just YI with a bunch of unnecessary hassle.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2008, 10:31:44 PM »
No, Yoshi's Island has infinitely better level design and an overall cooler feel, along with much, much better music, and no annoying baby-switching puzzles. And Yoshi controls better in YI as well.
That was a joke.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2008, 12:02:23 AM »
Worst: SMB2j  Reasons already stated.  It didn't really introduce anything new to the series, other than maybe the Poison Mushroom.  It was basically an expansion of the first game, but with a higher difficulty.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2008, 01:21:53 AM »
I think you people don't understand that its difficulty is what makes it awesome.
That was a joke.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2008, 08:49:44 AM »
That depends on how frustratingly difficult the game is.  If they go overboard with the challenge, or if there are gameplay glitches that make the game more difficult than they were intended to be, I just can't play it for very long.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Sqrt2

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2008, 08:57:52 AM »
Best: Super Mario Bros 3

Worst: Mario is Missing! (Honestly, I can't believe that no-one else has nominated this yet!)
AA fanboy and proud!

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2008, 01:22:21 PM »
I change my "Worst" vote to Mario Is Missing. I guess it was a repressed memory. Although Luigi does go up and down streets, so it's kind of not 2D... maybe.

Mario's Time Machine wasn't -quite- as bad... you got interesting scenery and you could surf around and... uh... the time machine looked cool. And I liked the title screen music and museum music. But it was still a bad game, I don't like learning history. I eventually wrote down the answers after I finished the game so I could then finish the game fast enough to get a good ending (what's with this time limit stuff?).
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2008, 03:40:33 PM »
What? There was more than one ending in that game?? What was the best ending?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2008, 05:59:45 PM »
I think you people don't understand that its difficulty is what makes it awesome.

Don't forget Luigi Game, Poison Mushrooms and those Springboards that shoot you up off the screen. :D

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2008, 02:30:48 PM »
Week 32: 2D Game

Remember: You can vote for the WHOLE MARIOVERSE! There's no need to be picky on whether it leans towards something too much! (Unless it's a cameo...) BTW, Super Paper Mario counts, for both 2-D and 3-D. If the 3-D Nomination ever comes, you will be allowed to vote for SPM.

BEST:

Super Mario World (5)
Yoshi's Island (3)
Super Mario Bros 3 (2)
Super Paper Mario (1)
Super Mario Bros 2 (Japan) (1)

WORST:

New Super Mario Bros (3)
Super Mario Bros 2 (Japan) (3)

Mario is Missing (2)
Super Mario Land (1)
Super Paper Mario (1)
Yoshi's Island DS (1)
Mario Teaches Typing (.50)
Mario's Early Years {Any} (.50)

Ugh...Tie. Time for the cheap Tiebreaker! (Ding ding ding!)

NOMINATIONS:

Mario Sports game (8)
3D Game (1)
Nintendo System {Which system had the best/worst games?} (2)
Mario Spin-Off (1)

What? There was more than one ending in that game?? What was the best ending?

"Best" Ending: Bowser jumps into his time machine right as Mario confronts him, but the Time Machine malfunctions, and Bowser is sent to 6500000 B.C. (Or something similar to that) He is then squished by a giant Dinosaur foot.

"Worst" Ending: Bowser jumps into his time machine, and goes to Paradise 1999, where he relaxes on a beach.

Print