Print

Author Topic: Sprites  (Read 2633 times)

« on: July 26, 2001, 02:40:19 PM »
Does anyone know how to get the sprites of the games and make .gif images and animatons??
Thanks for the help.

Hey, paisano!
Hey, paisano!

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2001, 11:23:41 PM »
Hmm...I don't, but I see them so much over the net that SOMEONE here must know.  Deezer perhaps?

--Roy Koopa
--Oldest and coolest of the Seven Koopa Kids!

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2001, 11:31:27 AM »
Go to http://angelfire.com/games2/marindex/links.html.

The sites with sprites are labelled.

Lee "Mega 2" Sherman

Sneaky Lying Cheating Giant Ninja Koopa
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2001, 09:49:51 PM »
Well, I can tell you the old fashioned way to do it, because I'm a crusty old codger who wears suspenders and uses Linux!  Nyah!  On with the show!

(Ambient hikes up his pants and moves his toothpick to the side of his mouth) Back in my day, we had to hand code graphics for our oscilloscopes with ones and zeroes!  And we LIKED it too! (Ambient gets whacked in the head with a copy of Microsoft's court history, passes out)

Anyway, the best way to get sprites for games IMHO, assuming the sprites are from games like Mario Bros that you could buy in the store, is to whip out an emulator with snapshot support and rip graphics to your heart's content!  Of course, this method is slow, because you have to snap animations one frame at a time and then do some serious editing to prepare the sprites for your GIF animating thing.  Not to mention, to use the emulator you have to have (gasp!) ROM images, which some gamers have qualms over the legality thereof to the affidavit party of the second part.

You can download graphics from games at sites like TMK and vgmuseum.com, but the only way to assure that you will get what you need is to make the files yourself.
I want to be where the Yaks can run free;
Where the marmosets can attack me!

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2001, 09:59:45 AM »
Well, that was the way i didnt want to use, but i think ill need to do it this way. Only one more question: do you know a good program to edit the gif images and animations?
And thanks for the help.

Hey, paisano!
Hey, paisano!

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2001, 10:30:57 PM »
Hmm...  I think Deezer himself reccomends the Gif Construction Set in the TMK faq, but I'm not sure where you would find a copy.  I tried GCS, and it was alright, but not terribly great for making a bunch of animations.  If you plan on making more than a handful of gifs, you might try searching download.com for other gif animation progs.

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2001, 10:35:46 PM »
quick PS-

You probably already knew this, but in Gif Const. set you have to make a separate bmp for each frame in the animation, and cannot edit these frames from within the animator.  (at least that's how I remember it.)  That's why I found it a little awkward.

Print