Print

Author Topic: super mario sunshine rant  (Read 43246 times)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #135 on: June 10, 2009, 06:16:20 AM »
I just put in Sunshine for the heck of it yesterday.  It's not as bad as I had originally thought, although the blue coins are still stupid, and that giant plinko board level is still nigh-impossible.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #136 on: August 20, 2009, 04:25:16 AM »
For the record, and to avoid starting a new topic, I like the news marquee because I like the sound it makes when it appears. It could've been cooler if it had way more variety. Mario Sunshine showed us that the Mushroom Kingdom wasn't just a shroom-fest of weird places and characters by subtly painting the story that Delfino is full of relatively everyday people. Maybe that's why people didn't like it... because it was "too normal."

Delfino is apparently a tourist trap (videos of the "happenin's" of the island in flight, etc.) meaning that the people running Delfino want to make their money one way or another. They have a park, large fields with windmills, marketplace, temporary jobs (smashing boxes for that one Pianta would prolly be the same as asking to work stands at the beach for a day or two), a bar, an active volcano, harbor, plaza, hotel, and nightlife getaway (with hot tub included) to cater to everyone's interests further illustrating the tourist "trappiness" of the island. They have a news system, apparently, and keep everyone informed with the marquee.....although the player was the only person who could see it. Maybe it was a podcast or a marquee displayed on everyone's cell phones or something.

They have a judiciary system, albeit a crappy one, that operates on public opinion. Mario should've requested a change of venue, FLUDD shouldn't have been in jail with Mario (weapon), and the judge overruling Peach's objection before she could even speak (you'd think the judge would place her in contempt instead of doing that) is definitely a sign that the Delfino judiciary system is crooked... and Mario could've sued the living crap out of them (maybe he did and that's why he was capable of taking out a loan for his Mini-Mario factory?  .....and that's the reason he hasn't been back to Delfino in 7 years... only reason he was back was because he was invited temporarily in the game Mario Power Tennis).

Although.... if any court laws were applied and followed through in the game....well... we wouldn't have had Sunshine to play at all. Sunshine would've been: show up, get accused, start the trial, get change of venue, then have an Ace Attorney-esque assessment to complete, Mario would be found innocent, go home, and then the bonus level would be following through with the "MARIO MARIO v. DELFINO ISLAND" lawsuit.
Formerly quite reasonable.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #137 on: August 20, 2009, 04:36:27 AM »
Can you sue a judicial system? Seems like if they could have done anything about it, it would've just been Peach using some executive privilege on them. Unless she's just a figurehead, like most modern monarchs, and the Chancellor is the prime minister type guy who's actually in charge.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #138 on: August 20, 2009, 07:42:30 AM »
The marquee was broadcasting a message from "DEBS", some which took me forever to realize was "Delfino Emergency Broadcast System". I think it's just a scrolling, written transcript of something presumably playing from speakers about the Plaza.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #139 on: August 20, 2009, 11:09:34 AM »
Trainman's little analysis up there made me remember how much I love it when the creatures of the Mushroom World are portrayed as average people living in their own little societies. The Mario RPGs do the best job of this, and you get a pretty good glimpse of it on the city courses in Mario Kart.

All of this lends itself really well as material for a Mario TV show or movie (I've been thinking about this a lot lately, haven't I?).

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #140 on: August 20, 2009, 08:33:47 PM »
Can you sue a judicial system? Seems like if they could have done anything about it, it would've just been Peach using some executive privilege on them. Unless she's just a figurehead, like most modern monarchs, and the Chancellor is the prime minister type guy who's actually in charge.

I said Mario vs. Delfino Island, as in the island, state, territory, whatever it may be.

Yeah, I enjoy the fact that characters are just everyday people trying to make a living and not everyone is some weird-lookin' dude from a distant, far-off place that joins you for your quest for a bit (I know I was completely describing Geno there, but he's cool). I like how the Mushroom Kingdom is just like our world, development-wise, but with apparent advanced technology, i.e. floating blocks, ramps that make you get speed boosts, money that shoots up when hit from the block which then sparkles....but you still somehow obtain it!

Dude, if I could just run into money or step on it and have it magically be transfered to my bank account... then I'd have 5.7 trillion dollars in change.....although that's over half the money the U.S. has in circulation today according to the M3 statistic.

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #141 on: August 22, 2009, 03:04:52 PM »
The only things I had with Sunshine were the lack of power-ups (No, not counting F.L.U.D.D nozzles or 1-UP 'Shrooms) and the atrocious voice acting.
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #142 on: August 23, 2009, 02:38:23 PM »
Well, I believe the voice acting was a step in the right direction. Yeah, Peach sounds like an idiot, and the Pianta judge really got on my nerves... oh yeah, can't forget how stupid Bowser Jr. sounded. If the Koopa Kids made an appearance in Sunshine, that'd be a huge upset (in a probably positive way) by making it feel more at home, Mario game-wise.

Galaxy should've had the same amount of voice acting or a bit more, personally. I mean really, you know how Nintendo tries something new, and then they perfect it the next time as always (Sunshine to Galaxy or Wiimote to Motion+ Wiimote, for example). Well, Sunshine's voice acting could've been that "trying something new," then they could've perfected it in Galaxy and made it 10 times as epic...instead of text bubbles from Rosalina, then her saying "Go, Mario" towards the end of the game as her only spoken dialog as another example.

One big thing for me is that I have always believed that Mario should talk more in-game past his usual yells for maneuvers. Maybe a small comment here and there on things going on in the game. I know for sure that if I was on some type of epic adventure, I wouldn't be completely silent the whole time. Also, another small thing they could do is make Mario respond to characters explaining things in the levels or whatever. Maybe a Mario & Luigi-esque "I gotcha!" with a thumbs-up or a Mario 64 "Okie-dokie" when a character finishes talking.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #143 on: August 23, 2009, 04:42:41 PM »
Once again, I can only imagine the Koopalings with voices being seven times the Bowser Jr. style of voice everyone hates.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #144 on: August 23, 2009, 10:07:59 PM »
Well, I wasn't specifically referring to them having any spoken dialog.... just their inclusion could've been cool.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #145 on: August 24, 2009, 01:24:20 PM »
You never know BP, they could get creative with the Koopalings' personalities.

Larry = Punkish voice
Morton = Grouchy voice
Wendy = Obviously female spoiled brat voice (probably closest to Bowser Jr.)
Iggy = Nasally nerdy voice
Roy = Doesn't speak, only growls and grunts
Lemmy = Either a squeaky clowny voice or a dimwitted voice
Ludwig = Domineering German-accented voice

Trainman, your posts are making me wonder what they could've done with current-gen technology, like having Mario automatically spout comments whenever you walk near certain areas. Think of that Animal Crossing Wild World clip of Charles Martinet testing the game's online function with a fan (I know it's on the site here somewhere).

« Reply #146 on: August 24, 2009, 01:37:27 PM »
I think the voices they had in the SMB3/SMW shows would work well, but they're probably never going to happen in the games.

They all had basic grunts and such when they appeared in Superstar Saga.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #147 on: August 24, 2009, 01:50:35 PM »
The voices they had in the TV shows were indicative of the personalities they had there, which are not the same as the personalities applied to them in official material promoting the games.

Not to mentione their appearances in the TV show are drastically different from the way they look in the game anyway.

« Reply #148 on: August 24, 2009, 09:07:56 PM »
They weren't that drastically different, unless you're referring to the differences between actual game appearances and the shows (ie: Iggy and Lemmy with rainbow colored hair in the shows, but.. grey/silver hair in the games [I think])
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #149 on: August 25, 2009, 09:05:27 AM »
Their appearances were pretty similar to their official art, with some more cartoony proportions. I don't know why half of the in-game models in SMW didn't even try to have the right colors, especially since SMB3's were usually pretty close (though All-Stars didn't perfect them like it could have).
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Print