Print

Author Topic: super mario sunshine rant  (Read 43251 times)

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2009, 03:56:12 PM »
The main problem with Sunshine was that it didn't strike the right balance between new and old. The new stuff was usually really creative and fun, but it was less Marioy than SMB2 was when it first came out. Had it been released as a new franchise, it would have been like Beyond Good And Evil.

I really don't like Electro-Koopas.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2009, 03:59:56 PM »
Electro-Koopas are probably the most Mario-y thing, besides the staple characters themselves. I didn't mind them, since there have been electrical enemies in past games (Jelectro in SMB3, for instance).

What I hated was the Stus (the little creatures with mustaches that are all over the airstrip later). Where in the heck are the Goombas?!
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2009, 04:11:15 PM »
There were only two things that truly urked me in Super Mario Sunshine:

I found the movie of Mario in court extremely misleading. When they show the map of Isle Delfino with all the areas Shadow Mario attacked, there are clearly like two dozens locations marked, but for some reason only 10 or so of those spots could be visited.

I was also extremely disappointed that the award for getting all 120 Shines was a new ending screen. It was also annoying that the news marque thing at the bottom kept shining "The Shine Gate has been opened..." or something when the Shine Gate does absolutely nothing.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2009, 04:53:37 PM »
Electro-Koopas are probably the most Mario-y thing
I think that's why they annoy me, actually. So close to being the guys that gave you magical surfboards in SM64, yet so far away. Also, the lack of the long jump is kind of lame, though Galaxy definitely made up for that. Not sure why I thought of that.

I was also extremely disappointed that the award for getting all 120 Shines was a new ending screen. It was also annoying that the news marque thing at the bottom kept shining "The Shine Gate has been opened..." or something when the Shine Gate does absolutely nothing.
The news marquee thing really annoyed me. Always. I never saw a point to it.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2009, 04:57:18 PM »
I just think the whole idea of having to clean up paint off an island is some storywriters drug fantasy.

Bowser: "I see that Mario is going on another vacation.  Haw haw haw...time to ruin it for him.............I think I shall, uh...pour paint on the island and make everyone think he did it!"

That mofe sure is an evil one!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2009, 06:44:18 PM »
The thing that annoyed me most about SMS was that a lot of your time was wasted cleaning the paint off of everything. Giving Mario a jetpack/weapon seemed like a cool idea, and for the parts that don't involve cleaning things it actually works well.

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2009, 07:04:04 PM »
Oh Bowser how dare you come up with such a dastardly plan...just for that I'm totally gonna break your hot tub!

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2009, 09:18:58 PM »
Also, the lack of the long jump is kind of lame, though Galaxy definitely made up for that.

The Hover Nozzle is better than the long jump, especially since you can combine it with the triple jump. If a long jump was in Super Mario Sunshine, the distance you could travel with both the long jump and the Hover Nozzle would simply be too far. The game would be a lot less challenging if you were able to do that.

I'd like to point out that most NPCs in this game are terribly annoying. Piantas suck.

Something being annoying is all I seem to hear about Super Mario Sunshine. What makes everything so annoying? I couldn't find one thing wrong with piantas. They are people who live in an area just like anything else. I can just as easily say Toads are annoying because they don't do their job well enough to protect Peach.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2009, 09:47:25 PM »
The Hover Nozzle was most definitely NOT better than the long jump. Mario used to be about running, maintaining momentum and not looking back. The Hover Nozzle is

All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2009, 10:20:04 PM »
I couldn't find one thing wrong with piantas. They are people who live in an area just like anything else.

They're ugly as heck and they idiotically blame Mario for polluting their island. Their judiciary system leaves a lot to be desired.

Also, their voices make me wanna kill someone.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2009, 10:21:41 PM »
Mario Sonic used to be about running, maintaining momentum and not looking back.
Anyway, there is nothing wrong with Piantas, and especially nothing wrong with Chucksters.
That was a joke.

Sqrt2

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2009, 05:46:28 AM »
and especially nothing wrong with Chucksters.

Not even when they chuck you to your death for the 500th time?
AA fanboy and proud!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2009, 03:06:24 PM »
That's technically your fault, not theirs. :P

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2009, 03:28:39 PM »
Yes, that game had problems, but I think people are way too hard on it. Either way, it's refreshing just to see someone speak their mind about a game.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2009, 04:28:15 PM »
Not even when they chuck you to your death for the 500th time?

[darn] those chucksters...It's not very inventive to have such a stupid challenge.

Print