Print

Author Topic: super mario sunshine rant  (Read 43255 times)

« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2009, 12:45:40 PM »
He looks a little bit like the Pringles guy, so I just called him that.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2009, 02:42:45 PM »
I really doubt the exploration aspect was an innovative idea by Nintendo...collect these red coins, collect these blue coins, etc.  One could make the argument that yeah it's different and innovative, but it's not.  It's just lazy.

At this point in time I don't know what I'd rather see...Nintendo make new Mario platformers that are terrible, or just no longer try.  Galaxy was a good game, but it's getting to that point where Mario games are getting fewer and further between, and unfortunately the bad seems to be outweighing the good.

I disagree. The Blue Coins exploration aspect wasn't lazy because they took their time and effort to carefully place each one. Some of them are placed in extremely clever spots. What I think is that they didn't want the levels they made to be overlooked too much, like with Super Mario 64. The Blue Coins also gave them an opportunity to use Yoshi more because using him too much in the regular episodes would get tiresome.

Second, which Mario platformers are terrible that Nintendo made? They are trying just as hard as ever to make each Mario game fun and innovative to play. At least I'm confident that I will be waiting a few years for a good game rather than be wait 1 year for a bad one.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2009, 06:10:01 PM »
I thought Blue Coins were optional... what's the big deal?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2009, 07:18:45 PM »
They're not if you want to complete the game with all 120 shines. 

Personally, I'd rather have more levels with less exploration/tedious searching and more action.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2009, 08:37:04 PM »
well back in the 80s there were three platformers that totally refined the mario industry and were regarded as some of the best games ever...in a 5 year span.  these days it takes 12 years for 3...and one crappy one.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2009, 08:45:01 PM »
I'm assuming you meant to say "redefined" there.

I wouldn't call SMS crappy by any stretch.  It was still pretty fun.  It's just... mediocre, comparatively speaking.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2009, 10:08:00 PM »
It takes a lot less time and a lot fewer people to make a 2D platformer that you can complete in a matter of hours.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2009, 07:07:51 AM »
...Hence there being three Kirby games on the DS.

« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2009, 09:50:22 PM »
welll...why don't they make new 2D mario platformers on handheld systems.  I thought he was the mascot!  Is he?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2009, 10:37:11 PM »
I'm pretty sure Miis are.

« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2009, 06:24:19 PM »
I'm pretty sure Miis are.

Blasphemy! May you inexplicably fall through a sloped platform to your death next time you play Super Mario World.

Simply put, Bulkykoopa, Nintendo has established a certain level of standards for Mario platformers. Spewing forth a new title EVERY SIX FRIGGIN' MONTHS would diminish not only the series' games' originality and innovation, but hype and subsequently sales as well. And that just won't do.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2009, 06:26:12 PM »
I dunno, I would be fine with one a year.  And high quantity doesn't necessarily mean low quality (but it usually does).

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2009, 06:58:39 PM »
There really isn't anything wrong with recycling graphics. Banjo-Tooie and Majora's Mask did it and they were successful.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2009, 01:25:28 PM »
true, who knows what they could do if they just put their minds to it!  Bring back some old characters in 3D, have some new objectives besides just collecting 120 of something, make us work for the challenge...bazing!  I can dream can't I.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #89 on: April 19, 2009, 02:45:13 AM »
Seriously!  They do suck!

Are they colourblind or something...because maybe it's just me, but I could definately tell the difference between solid coloured Mario and see-through blue Mario.  Jebus!

Even if they did have a color vision deficiency, it still wouldn't matter because of the pattern of Mario's clothes, the color of his 'stache, etc. I'm pretty sure the Piantas could distinguish between a normal human and blue version of him that has moving patterns of water and/or changing tie dye shades of blue all over him. Oh yeah, glowing eyes might set off a red flag.

They can have a judicial system and sentence Mario, but can't figure who is actually doing it.

See, if I were Mario, I'd tell Peach to be like "um... im a friggin' princess here. im like the pope/president/dictator/commander/etc. around here get him out" and then, after getting out of jail, I'd screw cleaning paint up and go find Baby Bowser, then I'd Smash Bros. his stupid little @$$, bring him back to the judge to prove my innocence, then hire a lawyer to pinpoint exactly what laws were broken in the court of law and sue Isle Delfino/Delfino Plaza/whatever it'd be called.

EDIT: Answer this for me.... why do Piantas walk normally in SMS, but they hop in Mario Power Tennis (the intro vid)?
Formerly quite reasonable.

Print