Print

Author Topic: Retro Collectors  (Read 7846 times)

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2009, 01:07:58 AM »
Including handhelds, Trainman?
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2009, 03:28:46 AM »
Of course! Two GBs, one GBC, one old DS. Guess I'm gonna need a GBA.
Formerly quite reasonable.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2009, 03:33:52 AM »
I think it's great how everyone in this thread is quietly ignoring arcade games, which incidentally are what I'd probably start collecting if I had money and space.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 06:27:55 AM »
Well, not necessarily, WarpRattler, because I was saying I wanted to collect every Mario game... and of course, that includes Mario Kart GP and its sequel... so I'd have to somehow muscle those arcade cabinets in if I ever wanted to complete the collection.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2009, 11:08:48 AM »
You're forgetting Vs. Super Mario Bros.
Also Warp, you have to admit collecting arcade games is a bit pricier and more space-consuming than consoles. I wouldn't mind a few key arcade cabinets sitting around myself.
That was a joke.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2009, 11:11:30 AM »
a bit pricier and more space-consuming than consoles
what I'd probably start collecting if I had money and space

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2009, 01:20:42 PM »
Vs. Super Mario Bros., oh yeah. I wonder how much those cabinets would be...

Actually, can any TMKer explain this one:

I saw a Mario Kart... well, kart at a flea market near Dallas (Denton Flea Market). It had a Mario crudely formed out of plastic (like... it looked liked his Mario Bros. art cover days, pretty much, but in his red shirt and blue overalls), and he was smiling and jumping out of the driver's seat of his red kart from Double Dash, but for some reason it was painted gold. It looked like it could've been part of an arcade cabinet, or almost looked like it'd be perfect for a merry-go-round judging from the open rear seat behind Mario (where the co-pilot would stand in Double Dash).

I would've definitely taken a picture of it if I had a phone at the time, but I did stop and examine it; I couldn't find any information of where it came from, what it was for, etc. I could maybe draw a picture of what it looked like, basically and let you guys figure out what it could've been.

Basically, it astonished me. It felt like I found some random, unlicensed Mario toy in a 3rd world country.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2009, 01:26:20 AM »
Yeah WarpRattler, I didn't mention it here, but my ultimate goal really is to get a Donkey Kong, Space Invaders, Pac-man, or Mario Bros. arcade cabinet. Of course, as Chupperson said it's very expensive, and even more difficult to come across. Hell, if you wanted to go on eBay for them, you'd be spending upwards of $700 most likely. I think once I look at my collection and go "yep, this is pretty good.", that's when I'll start looking for arcades.

Oh and in today's news I bought a ROB and got a Comodore 64 keyboard from my friend. He works at Best Buy and said a customer brought it in trying to get a refund for it. (???)
= = = = = = =

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2009, 12:52:24 PM »
Upwards of $700? A lot of the classic PCBs cost about as much as a current-gen game, I saw a full Marvel vs. Capcom unit for $500 on eBay the other day, and a local guy is selling a Centipede unit (with original side-art, meaning it wasn't the victim of a conversion kit) for $550 (also Cruisin' USA for $600, but I don't care about racing games). It's only when you get into the rarer games (usually shmups like Ikaruga, Radiant Silvergun, and some Cave games) and newer games that you go up into the thousands.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2009, 02:13:20 PM »
also Cruisin' USA for $600, but I don't care about racing games

How can you like arcade games but not care about the Cruis'n series?
every

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2009, 05:12:05 PM »
A "sprite cutouts in a 3D space" classic.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2009, 08:14:01 PM »
Yeah, $500, $700, it doesn't matter. It's the point of spending hundreds of dollars. Once you go over $200, it's all the same ballpark.
= = = = = = =

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2009, 12:54:49 AM »
I dunno where you play ball, man.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2009, 10:21:45 AM »
Judging by his seeming indifference towards price differences in the triple-digit range, probably the Field of Dreams.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2009, 11:30:05 PM »
I bought two Sega Geneses with a handful of games and a controller. Next on the list I need to get myself a Super Scope.
= = = = = = =

Print