Print

Author Topic: New Super Mario Brothers Wii  (Read 163827 times)

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #450 on: November 21, 2009, 12:56:24 AM »
NSMBW is at least SMB6 (NSMBDS being SMB5). If you count both SMB2s separately, it's SMB7. If you count SML1 and 2, it's SMB9. If you then feel obligated to count SML3, and thereby also WL2, 3, 4, and SI, it's SMB14, or 16 if you also count WMOD and VBWL. If you count YI because it's SMW2, and then also count YIDS and YS (which was originally going to be called YI64), then it's SMB17 or 19. If you figure that if you're going to include YS, you should also include its semi-sequel YTT/YUG, and also figure that if you're going to go all the way to including YS, it's only polite to also include DKC 1-3, DKL 1-3, DKJB, and SPP, it's SMB26 or 28. Anyone who understood this post wins a muffin.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #451 on: November 21, 2009, 01:10:05 AM »
Where's my muffin?

There's other gameplay stuff I'd like to mention, but they're in the later worlds so I'd want you to be like "oh hey haha that's legit" rather than being like "oh.... yeah... this is the thing Trainman was talking about....... surprise surprise...."
Formerly quite reasonable.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #452 on: November 21, 2009, 01:12:44 AM »
I'll be driving to Pennsylvania to collect my muffin shortly - but what about YT&G?

CrossEyed7

« Reply #453 on: November 21, 2009, 01:38:50 AM »
Yeah, you could throw that in too, I guess. I'll mail you guys the muffins.

Also, don't forget MB (SMB0) and DK (SMB-1), and their respective sequels. Including the G&W ones (DK, DKJ, DK3, DKC, DKH, MB, and SMB, off the top of my head). And WC (and WC98 and the Japanese cell phone version) probably goes in there somewhere too.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 01:43:37 AM by CrossEyed7 »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #454 on: November 21, 2009, 02:17:11 AM »
Sooo.... I beat the game the day it came out (haven't got all the star coins, etc. yet) and I was screwing around in World 5. Well, I went to this particular level and kept dying because I felt like trying to see if I could fly through the level and throw some tech in there... ya know, be flashy, I guess. I guess I didn't keep count (could've sworn I was at 5 deaths) and I saw the Super Guide block appear. When I saw it I was thinking "aahhhh crap" and moved my right hand like 15 feet away from the jump button because I didn't wanna even mistakenly hit the thing.

So.... is my whole save screwed now? I mean, I doubt Nintendo would blacklist you from the "5 profile stars prestige" game save select screen just because you were screwing around and died a few too many times after beating the game. Gamewinners.com indicates that one of the profile stars is: "Never unlock the Super Guide block." I'm hoping that "unlock" means "unlocking [by activating the Super Guide block]."
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 02:19:25 AM by Trainman »
Formerly quite reasonable.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #455 on: November 21, 2009, 07:41:50 AM »
I think so, I'm afraid. Myself, I used two continues earlier in the game...

Anyway, I beat it the other evening with my brother. Good stuff, all in all, though it's definitely more of a sequel to NSMB than anything else.

Also, I think the thing in the game that made me the happiest was the return of the Fuzzies.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #456 on: November 21, 2009, 09:45:14 AM »
My university actually has the game set up in the commons. I think I'll go play some since I can't actually afford it right now.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #457 on: November 21, 2009, 11:00:30 AM »
Just like how Paper Mario isn't officially "Super Mario RPG 2" anymore, despite it ONCE being called it, doesn't mean it is Super Mario RPG 2.

The same thing goes for Super Mario World.
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

CrossEyed7

« Reply #458 on: November 21, 2009, 12:26:00 PM »
Except it is and always has been called that in Japan. Besides, if NSMBW can be considered a numbered SMB despite not being given a number in its actual name, so can SMW and NSMBDS.

Quote from: Japanese Wikipedia, translated by Google
Relations with Other Mario series
This work 『Super Mario Bros. series』 Belgium represents four works, the Japanese version of the package as a subtitle to the title logo Super Mario Bros. 3 』(SUPER MARIO BROS. 4) that was in both names, the title of the official name has been 』and『 Super Mario notation only. Late that, in general the "Super Mario Bros. 3" can refer to it as this film has been said to be small.
Was released who went on to Yoshi's Island Super Mario 』contents but significantly different from what the game is positioned on the film was made about this film. In fact, the title of the North American version of "Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island" and had been released as a sequel of this work. However, this work is "Super Mario Bros. 5" is not equivalent to not ( 『Super Mario Land 3 Wario Land』 is the 『sequel to Wario Land 2 stolen treasures』 is "Super Mario Land 4" and is similar to the should there). And tell us there, five Super Mario magazine interview, called 『Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Bros. Super Mario』 in five of his past is now being produced is as widely known. More later, when the transplanted Supamarioburazazushirizu for Game Boy Advance version's 2 』abroad, on 3』, 『World (4). Has been ported, along with Super Mario and Yoshi's Island』 from 『this thing 『窺I the things that come out of Version 5. 『Yoshi's Island Yoshi's Island DS『 Super Mario 』sequel』 is the Super Mario Bros. has gone from the title character, as derived from Wario Land Super Mario Land has been deployed as its own series.
The sunken ship that appeared in this film 『Super Mario Bros. 3』 The wreckage of an airship that is set in, Mario is also one of the few works that are clearly indicated in connection with the previous work.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 12:37:03 PM by CrossEyed7 »

« Reply #459 on: November 22, 2009, 01:21:07 AM »
So.... is my whole save screwed now? I mean, I doubt Nintendo would blacklist you from the "5 profile stars prestige" game save select screen just because you were screwing around and died a few too many times after beating the game. Gamewinners.com indicates that one of the profile stars is: "Never unlock the Super Guide block." I'm hoping that "unlock" means "unlocking [by activating the Super Guide block]."

According to one GameSpot thread, revealing the Super Guide block doesn't prevent you from earning the fifth file star, although said star won't be sparkly. But besides, unlocking the Super Guide after completing the game perfectly will still make your stars lose their lustre, meaning it doesn't really matter anyway. In regards to SB's concern, I've yet to hear anything about the use of Continues disqualifying one from attaining all five stars.

Related:
-A mind-blowingly confusing, yet-unresolved debate regarding the matter
-List of five-star specifications
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 01:24:51 AM by Weegee »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #460 on: November 22, 2009, 01:32:44 AM »
I have yet to activate the Super Guide. This is because I've probably died only five times over the course of the game (I'm still in world 6 somewhere).

I don't get it, Super Guide was made because the game was "harder than Contra" and personally, I find this game easier than NSMBDS!
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

« Reply #461 on: November 22, 2009, 01:37:34 AM »
I can't wait to get this game!
Hacky, please stop teaming with the computers.

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #462 on: November 22, 2009, 04:00:08 PM »
Does anyone else think Ludwig sounds like the bullies from The Simpsons?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #463 on: November 22, 2009, 06:16:22 PM »
Yeah, I remember making a comment about Nelson Muntz when he showed up.

I don't get it, Super Guide was made because the game was "harder than Contra" and personally, I find this game easier than NSMBDS!
I've never played Contra and I think NSMB was easier, but I still see what you're saying there.

I've decided I'm just going to stop complaining about Mario games (well, most main Nintendo franchises in general, I suppose) being too easy because I think that's just become the norm at this point.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #464 on: November 22, 2009, 06:20:49 PM »
I'd rather have games that are too easy than games that are too hard.  I don't play games to put myself through Hell. 
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Print