Print

Author Topic: Sometimes Nintendo makes no sense...  (Read 14528 times)

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« on: October 07, 2009, 09:16:03 PM »
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/30/dsiware-purchases-locked-to-hardware-only-nintendo-can-transfer/

This is similar to the whole complaint on how Wiiware and VC games were locked to one Wii and couldn't be transferred unless your console broke. I really don't see why Nintendo makes decisions like this. Or at least I hope these are business decisions designed to scam us out of money, because if it's not, the only other explanation is that their company is just fundamentally flawed. It's just... all these inconveniences like inferior online, friend codes, system locked downloads, they're all minor problems on their own, but together it's just a big eyesore on a company that's supposed to be making current generation video games. They already have the ability to link your Nintendo account to your downloads... why can't they link the games too? It's just insane. They're hurting themselves in the long run. A great example is the new DSi colors. I really liked the white DSi, but I got a black one when they first released. I was this close to buying a brand new white DSi, but the fact I would lose all my DSiware titles shut that possibility down instantly.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 09:18:32 PM »
You don't see why you can't transfer games over when the system doesn't require you to be online to play DSiWare games and you can back them up onto an SD card.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 09:24:49 PM »
Why would you waste money buying an identical system for something as stupid as getting a different color
That was a joke.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 10:09:22 PM »
You don't see why you can't transfer games over when the system doesn't require you to be online to play DSiWare games and you can back them up onto an SD card.

Did you actually read the article? That's the point. You can't back up your games onto an SD card. You need to purchase them all over again.
= = = = = = =

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 10:14:48 PM »
No. You can back your games from your current DSi onto an SD card, delete them from your DSi, and put them back on that same DSi later. That's a reason why you can't transfer them over to another DSi.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 09:28:55 AM »
I'm not saying you should be able to back them up on an SD card though. Like I said, they already have a system which links your Nintendo account to what you download. It's not an impossible, or even difficult task for them to modify it so that you can remove them from one game system and transfer them to a new one. Every other company in the industry has the option. This is what I'm talking about though. Nintendo just lags behind everyone in terms of technological setup.
= = = = = = =

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 10:22:16 AM »
Lagging behind everyone? Really?

If I had a PSP and several retail games I would have to buy all of those games again to play them on a PSPgo. By comparison, you should be happy you'd only need to spend a few dollars on each DSiWare game or application to replace them (not that you need another DSi just because you like the color more, seriously) rather than twenty or thirty bucks apiece.

DSiWare is coded in such a way that it is tied to the system itself upon purchase. The only change that could be made that would continue to prevent piracy would be requiring the DSi to be connected to the Internet to run DSiWare titles. Do you really want that?

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 03:58:08 PM »
Sony allows up to five PS3's to be activated on one account.  This allows people to activate each other's PS3s and share games.  It's not exactly a simple process and is primarily taken advantage of by hard core gamers that are more likely to influence others purchase games and buy more games themselves to begin with.  If Nintendo instituted such a policy it would definitely reduce their profit.  Imagine this scenario:  I buy a new pink DSi and download my games to it then sale my old black DSi with the games still on it for about the cost of the DSi without the games.  Nintendo would not be able to profit on those games.  There are other ways around this, but remember that Nintendo is first and foremost out to make profit. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 07:43:07 PM »
Lagging behind everyone? Really?

If I had a PSP and several retail games I would have to buy all of those games again to play them on a PSPgo. By comparison, you should be happy you'd only need to spend a few dollars on each DSiWare game or application to replace them (not that you need another DSi just because you like the color more, seriously) rather than twenty or thirty bucks apiece.

DSiWare is coded in such a way that it is tied to the system itself upon purchase. The only change that could be made that would continue to prevent piracy would be requiring the DSi to be connected to the Internet to run DSiWare titles. Do you really want that?

First off, Sony gives you the option of redownloading up to 3 PSP titles on the PSP Go when you purchase a new one in the UK. That's not a technological foible, it's just Sony being greedy.
Second, PSP to PSP Go is a stupid comparison since they're two vastly different systems.
Third of all, that's not the only possibility for DSiware transferral. A simple solution for DSiware would be to give you the option of deleting your DSiware titles and then connecting to Nintendo WFC which is then recorded on your account. Then when you connect your account on a new DSi, it gives you the option of downloading them on it for free. That's not a difficult task. It would only require a small firmware update, and for the customer to connect to the internet once, which isn't asking much considering you have to connect in the first place to download them.

And for the record, I wanted to buy a new DSi since I recently sold one of my old DSs and still want a third one. But people buy two handhelds frequently for other reasons. It's not like having a home console. Handheld systems get broken, lost, stolen, etc... Sometimes people give them away to friends/love ones.

Apple gives you the option to transfer apps and games on your account to other iPhones you buy. Microsoft gives you the ability to transfer arcade titles using your Live account. Those are just a few examples. If that's not a case of Nintendo lagging behind, I don't know what is.

But this isn't just about DSiware. It's other things. The drop in standard for Nintendo Seal of Approval is plain ridiculous. Online gaming is a disaster, and there's absolutely nothing you can say to defend it.
= = = = = = =

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 07:58:30 PM »
The PSP and PSP Go are not "vastly different systems". They are virtually identical.

To play downloaded 360 games on any system other than the original, you have to be online.

I'm not defending Nintendo's online multi though.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 08:36:51 PM »
The PSP and PSP Go are vastly different. Different software medium is a pretty big difference if you ask me.
= = = = = = =

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 08:48:46 PM »
The PSP Go is quite possibly the worst hardware update to a handheld in gaming history.

It is a PSP. That can't read UMDs. And has a smaller screen. And moved the analog nub to a more uncomfortable position. A more uncomfortable position than the already most horrifically hand-wrenching contortionist setup in gaming history. More uncomfortable than that.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 08:52:30 PM »
Oh yeah don't get me wrong. I think the PSP Go is stupid in every single way possible. I'm just saying there's a bigger difference between it and the PSP 3000 than the DSi is from the DS lite.
= = = = = = =

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 08:57:52 PM »
Uh.

Are you judging them just by how the new version looks?

PSP removed the UMD drive and made the controls slide out.

DS added two cameras, SD card support, and an online store.

Both are pretty ghey "upgrades", but DSi changed more. And in the positive direction. XD XD XD

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 09:00:30 PM »
The DSi also has more RAM and bigger screens, and games are being made to take advantage of that. The PSPgo, by comparison, has no games that cannot be played on a standard PSP.

Print