Print

Author Topic: Sometimes Nintendo makes no sense...  (Read 14530 times)

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« on: October 07, 2009, 09:16:03 PM »
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/30/dsiware-purchases-locked-to-hardware-only-nintendo-can-transfer/

This is similar to the whole complaint on how Wiiware and VC games were locked to one Wii and couldn't be transferred unless your console broke. I really don't see why Nintendo makes decisions like this. Or at least I hope these are business decisions designed to scam us out of money, because if it's not, the only other explanation is that their company is just fundamentally flawed. It's just... all these inconveniences like inferior online, friend codes, system locked downloads, they're all minor problems on their own, but together it's just a big eyesore on a company that's supposed to be making current generation video games. They already have the ability to link your Nintendo account to your downloads... why can't they link the games too? It's just insane. They're hurting themselves in the long run. A great example is the new DSi colors. I really liked the white DSi, but I got a black one when they first released. I was this close to buying a brand new white DSi, but the fact I would lose all my DSiware titles shut that possibility down instantly.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 09:18:32 PM »
You don't see why you can't transfer games over when the system doesn't require you to be online to play DSiWare games and you can back them up onto an SD card.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 09:24:49 PM »
Why would you waste money buying an identical system for something as stupid as getting a different color
That was a joke.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 10:09:22 PM »
You don't see why you can't transfer games over when the system doesn't require you to be online to play DSiWare games and you can back them up onto an SD card.

Did you actually read the article? That's the point. You can't back up your games onto an SD card. You need to purchase them all over again.
= = = = = = =

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 10:14:48 PM »
No. You can back your games from your current DSi onto an SD card, delete them from your DSi, and put them back on that same DSi later. That's a reason why you can't transfer them over to another DSi.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 09:28:55 AM »
I'm not saying you should be able to back them up on an SD card though. Like I said, they already have a system which links your Nintendo account to what you download. It's not an impossible, or even difficult task for them to modify it so that you can remove them from one game system and transfer them to a new one. Every other company in the industry has the option. This is what I'm talking about though. Nintendo just lags behind everyone in terms of technological setup.
= = = = = = =

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 10:22:16 AM »
Lagging behind everyone? Really?

If I had a PSP and several retail games I would have to buy all of those games again to play them on a PSPgo. By comparison, you should be happy you'd only need to spend a few dollars on each DSiWare game or application to replace them (not that you need another DSi just because you like the color more, seriously) rather than twenty or thirty bucks apiece.

DSiWare is coded in such a way that it is tied to the system itself upon purchase. The only change that could be made that would continue to prevent piracy would be requiring the DSi to be connected to the Internet to run DSiWare titles. Do you really want that?

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 03:58:08 PM »
Sony allows up to five PS3's to be activated on one account.  This allows people to activate each other's PS3s and share games.  It's not exactly a simple process and is primarily taken advantage of by hard core gamers that are more likely to influence others purchase games and buy more games themselves to begin with.  If Nintendo instituted such a policy it would definitely reduce their profit.  Imagine this scenario:  I buy a new pink DSi and download my games to it then sale my old black DSi with the games still on it for about the cost of the DSi without the games.  Nintendo would not be able to profit on those games.  There are other ways around this, but remember that Nintendo is first and foremost out to make profit. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 07:43:07 PM »
Lagging behind everyone? Really?

If I had a PSP and several retail games I would have to buy all of those games again to play them on a PSPgo. By comparison, you should be happy you'd only need to spend a few dollars on each DSiWare game or application to replace them (not that you need another DSi just because you like the color more, seriously) rather than twenty or thirty bucks apiece.

DSiWare is coded in such a way that it is tied to the system itself upon purchase. The only change that could be made that would continue to prevent piracy would be requiring the DSi to be connected to the Internet to run DSiWare titles. Do you really want that?

First off, Sony gives you the option of redownloading up to 3 PSP titles on the PSP Go when you purchase a new one in the UK. That's not a technological foible, it's just Sony being greedy.
Second, PSP to PSP Go is a stupid comparison since they're two vastly different systems.
Third of all, that's not the only possibility for DSiware transferral. A simple solution for DSiware would be to give you the option of deleting your DSiware titles and then connecting to Nintendo WFC which is then recorded on your account. Then when you connect your account on a new DSi, it gives you the option of downloading them on it for free. That's not a difficult task. It would only require a small firmware update, and for the customer to connect to the internet once, which isn't asking much considering you have to connect in the first place to download them.

And for the record, I wanted to buy a new DSi since I recently sold one of my old DSs and still want a third one. But people buy two handhelds frequently for other reasons. It's not like having a home console. Handheld systems get broken, lost, stolen, etc... Sometimes people give them away to friends/love ones.

Apple gives you the option to transfer apps and games on your account to other iPhones you buy. Microsoft gives you the ability to transfer arcade titles using your Live account. Those are just a few examples. If that's not a case of Nintendo lagging behind, I don't know what is.

But this isn't just about DSiware. It's other things. The drop in standard for Nintendo Seal of Approval is plain ridiculous. Online gaming is a disaster, and there's absolutely nothing you can say to defend it.
= = = = = = =

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 07:58:30 PM »
The PSP and PSP Go are not "vastly different systems". They are virtually identical.

To play downloaded 360 games on any system other than the original, you have to be online.

I'm not defending Nintendo's online multi though.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 08:36:51 PM »
The PSP and PSP Go are vastly different. Different software medium is a pretty big difference if you ask me.
= = = = = = =

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 08:48:46 PM »
The PSP Go is quite possibly the worst hardware update to a handheld in gaming history.

It is a PSP. That can't read UMDs. And has a smaller screen. And moved the analog nub to a more uncomfortable position. A more uncomfortable position than the already most horrifically hand-wrenching contortionist setup in gaming history. More uncomfortable than that.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 08:52:30 PM »
Oh yeah don't get me wrong. I think the PSP Go is stupid in every single way possible. I'm just saying there's a bigger difference between it and the PSP 3000 than the DSi is from the DS lite.
= = = = = = =

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 08:57:52 PM »
Uh.

Are you judging them just by how the new version looks?

PSP removed the UMD drive and made the controls slide out.

DS added two cameras, SD card support, and an online store.

Both are pretty ghey "upgrades", but DSi changed more. And in the positive direction. XD XD XD

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 09:00:30 PM »
The DSi also has more RAM and bigger screens, and games are being made to take advantage of that. The PSPgo, by comparison, has no games that cannot be played on a standard PSP.

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 09:08:59 PM »
Eh, neither did DSi one week after it came out. PSP Go has more RAM too, BTW.

As for the screen issue, DSi got slightly bigger ones, PSP Go got a slightly smaller one, but the resolutions are the same all around so I'd call it a toss-up.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 09:26:47 PM »
Are you implying that games are being made that will not work on a standard PSP at all? I mean full retail-price games that only work on the newer system, not little things like DSiWare and any possible PSPgo-only PSP Minis that might be made.

(Also, the DSi quadrupled the RAM of the standard DS models, so it has 16MB instead of 4MB. What was the increase with the PSPgo? I'm sort of interested, since I hadn't heard they had boosted the RAM.)

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 09:40:29 PM »
The DSi quadrupled the RAM and doubled the processor speed -- same upgrade as the Game Boy Color. Only it hasn't been pushed as much because unlike the Game Boy Color, they didn't wait ten years to make it, so it can afford to be a more gradual upgrade.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2009, 10:15:40 PM »
Are you implying

I always read that phrase in the voice of that guy from Starship Troopers who goes "OFFENSIVE!", emphasizing the "implying".
every

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2009, 01:51:18 AM »
Hmm, looks like PSP Go does have the same guts as the 2000 and 3000. My mind got warped by a widely reported misreading of a Japanese document referring to the USB transfer speed.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2009, 11:21:04 AM »
So in conclusion:

The PSPgo sucks and is almost identical to the PSP. (Everyone already knew this.)

The DSi had some massive changes made to it from the DS and DS Lite. (Everyone already knew this as well, though I seem to have forgotten about the processor upgrade with the DSi, which is the other reason we'll start seeing DSi-exclusive retail titles, and why I'm dreading trying to find homebrew software for the DS in the future. The RAM upgrade can be mimicked with a SLOT-2 RAM expansion; the processor upgrade can't.)

Meowrik doesn't know anything about programming and thinks making a change to Nintendo's DRM scheme on the DSi would be "easy" - and he doesn't realize that the only way to make what he was saying work would be to completely remove the ability to back up DSiWare to an SD card, because a firmware change isn't going to affect how the applications themselves work.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2009, 12:32:38 PM »
Yeah, I know nothing about programming, which is why I've already taken several computer science courses in the past four years. Way to go, Captain Assumption.

Regardless of what possible solution there would be, the point I originally made  was that Nintendo should have included such a feature to begin with. Afterall, the original topic of this thread was Nintendo making stupid decisions, i.e. "lets not give any features to make DSi downloads transferrable." or "let's construct a broken online system which kills any motive to play online to begin with." I don't know why you diverted it into DSi and PSP differences, even if I was wrong about those. Apparently I don't know anything about programming, but at least I know how to argue correctly.
= = = = = = =

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2009, 01:46:22 PM »
You still don't understand. If Nintendo had done it a different way to start and made it so that the consumer could transfer purchases to a different DSi, you either wouldn't be able to copy stuff onto an SD card at all, or you would have to connect to the Internet every time you wanted to run DSiWare so that it could authenticate. Nintendo would not make the DSiWare platform without a DRM scheme in place, which removes any other possibility for how it could be set up.

With how it is right now, you don't have to connect other than to download software - meaning you can actually, y'know, take advantage of the portability of a handheld - and you can back it up onto an SD card, and the tradeoff is that the software is keyed to the hardware and can only be transferred over using developer tools (and do you really expect any of the console developers to give those to the consumer? This isn't PC, after all). Stop complaining that Nintendo is somehow at fault for "making you rebuy your games" if you want to go spend $170 on a system you already have because it comes in a different color.

And last time I checked, taking computer science classes has no bearing on whether or not you know anything about programming DRM on a proprietary video game platform.

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2009, 01:47:39 PM »
Yeah, I know nothing about programming, which is why I've already taken several computer science courses in the past four years. Way to go, Captain Assumption.

Apparently I don't know anything about programming, but at least I know how to argue correctly.

As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2009, 04:14:02 PM »
While the PSP Go gets knocked by many hardcore gamers that already have a PSP collection, it is probably one of the best financial moves Sony has made as long as they don't get to much backlash from it.  With the PSP Go Sony has full control of the library and can set prices however they want thus eliminating used game sales.  I just wish that all PSP Go titles were playable on PS3. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2009, 04:51:38 PM »
The main thing I hate about digital distribution is that you have a limited amount of space on which to save your games. That is all I have to say about any of this.
That was a joke.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2009, 04:54:17 PM »
Sony can set prices how they want now, but they'll quickly find that people don't want to spend MSRP (a good chunk of which covers the costs of stocking games in a brick-and-mortar store) for digital-only games, especially when they can't resell it and get back some of what they spent. By simultaneously being more greedy than usual and attempting to single-handedly destroy a vital part of the video game industry, Sony is only demonizing themselves in the eye of the consumer.

Also, with digital distribution, you don't have prices on older games dropping as often or by as much as with their retail equivalent. I don't know anyone who would want to pay thirty dollars to download a PSP launch title they could easily find at GameStop for $10 or less.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2009, 05:00:38 PM »
Maybe everything will go the equivalent of Greatest Hits or something.
No, I don't like it either.
That was a joke.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2009, 09:23:40 PM »
Stop complaining that Nintendo is somehow at fault for "making you rebuy your games" if you want to go spend $170 on a system you already have because it comes in a different color.

And last time I checked, taking computer science classes has no bearing on whether or not you know anything about programming DRM on a proprietary video game platform.

You're oblivious. I have my own reason for wanting to buy a new DSi, but as I stated, but you fail to acknoweldge, is that we're talking about portable systems which are far easier to lose/break. Bare in mind, Nintendo is still a family company as a whole. There's dozens of realistic reasons for one to want to get a duplicate system.

And like I keep saying, this topic isn't just about DSi downloads. But apparently your rampant fanboyism prevents you from detaching yourself from a debate you're capable of winning.
= = = = = = =

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2009, 09:39:12 PM »
You're seriously calling me a fanboy now? That not only invalidates any argument you've made, it shows how ignorant you are by resorting to such name-calling with nothing to back it up. The only current Nintendo system - in fact, the only current system I own if you don't count PC - is the DS Lite sitting here. No DSi, no Wii. Explain how I'm a fanboy with such glaring evidence showing that I'm not.

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2009, 10:22:36 PM »
But apparently your rampant fanboyism prevents you from detaching yourself from a debate you're capable of winning.

So you're admitting he's right?
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2009, 10:32:44 PM »
I'm pretty sure Nintendo considers themself much more of a money-making company than a family company. I haven't seen anyone else come up with these harebrained ideas about why they're doing this wrong.
I did have to do some repair on my DS once, but seriously, explain to me why my Launch Day original DS is sitting on my shelf and still in working order if it's so easy to lose and/or break.
That was a joke.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2009, 10:54:09 PM »
Because you're a responsible 20-something who takes care of their games.

And MrWiggles, I'm admitting that I don't know anything about the inner workings of the DSi firmware, not that Nintendo doesn't make stupid decisions.
= = = = = = =

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2009, 05:25:02 PM »
So wait, you freely admit to being irresponsible and not taking care of stuff?
That was a joke.

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2009, 08:33:41 PM »
The world is nothing but a business. Once you get to be old and almost done with five years of college like me you'll come to realize that.

Nintendo is a money-making business that caters to families, much like Walt Disney or Hasbro. Instead of making movies/amusement parks or toys, they make video games. They want to make sure their product and customer service is tops for the same reason Honda always tries to beat Toyota--so that people will buy their products and keep coming back to them. They also want to go towards specific demographics that others do not. In Nintendo's case, this is easy--the Wii and DS have been selling even to non-traditional video game players thanks to the fitness/sports games and brain games, respectively. Wiis are popping up at nursing homes, are recommended by doctors, and have helped Nintendo sell more systems than they had during the past few generations. Likewise, the DS can be found in the hands of an eight year old just as frequently as it can be spotted in the possession of a 45 year old using it for sudoko (or even MarioKart--both of my parents and my uncle are approaching 60 and all of them play MarioKart and occasionally will beat their son/nephew).

With that in mind, let's talk about the games and the DRM contained within. About ten years ago people started sharing files online. Music was the biggest problem but other folks started sharing Nintendo ROMs. The problem with both is that they are copyrighted (well, most of them--there are always non-commercial/public domain files out there, but we'll ignore them for now). Apple stepped in to make the legal purchase of digital music possible when iTunes was launched six years ago. Software had been sold online since at least 1995 (one of the pioneers was a tiny company that sold Mac clip art, in fact; I bought a package of clip art from them many years ago). Nintendo realized that they had the same problem as the music industry, except the content in question was old games that hadn't been on store shelves in years. They tried re-releasing them on other systems, but some purists felt they were not true to form (i.e. the added voices in the Super Mario Advance line for GBA seemed to make some upset; I personally like the voices).

This is an area where Nintendo really catered to its customers--it made the old games available for purchase. Suddenly, the folks whose NES no longer worked could play SMB3 again for the low cost of $5 (which is actually half of what SMB3 was going for at The Exchange last week). Old games could now be played on modern hardware that was still under warranty. In fact, a "classic controller" was even released to accommodate some titles (namely SNES games). Nintendo also released Sega games, killing two birds with one stone in the process.

Just as Apple's iTunes had come up with a legal way to buy MP3s, Nintendo suddenly offered a way to get old games legally (and even supplied the emulators right inside the Wii). DRM was installed for one reason--to prevent piracy.

Piracy leads to lost sales. If everyone was pirating Wii VC games, what do you think the odds would be that Nintendo would develop more games for VC? The chances would go down because nobody would be buying anything. DRM was necessary and proper and still is despite what music companies have done (I actually get a feeling we'll be going back to DRM files within three years if the sales start to slip).

Sure, DRM has its problems, which are well-documented online, but every system has its problems. I'm a supporter of DRM because I am an aspiring writer and realize that there may be online textbooks in the future. (I hope to write mathematics textbooks specifically for gifted elementary students). If we can't control piracy, the economy will tank!!!

I've done extensive research on copyright laws due to my aspirations of publishing my works someday so if you have any questions let me know and I can see if I've got an answer.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2009, 08:49:47 PM »
I urge you to look up Gabe Newell's thoughts on piracy, DRM, and company transparency.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2009, 10:01:04 PM »
Oddly enough, piracy actually leads to more sales in some cases - oftentimes, people will try things, like a few tracks from an album or, if a game doesn't have a demo (DS games being a big thing here), the whole game, give the content in their illegal download a try, and see if it's worth buying before actually buying it.

If your DRM is restrictive to the point of ruining the user's experience, it'll likely increase piracy rather than curbing it. SecuROM is a good example. This is typically more true of PC software, where DRM is most likely to have adverse affects on paying users and therefore lead to more copies with the DRM patched out being downloaded; if Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story had included more restrictive copy-protection (it performs a check at the file creation screen and another at the first boss fight, which is more than most DS games), it likely would have caused pirates to give up on trying to patch the copy-protection out.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2009, 07:28:09 PM »
So wait, you freely admit to being irresponsible and not taking care of stuff?

No, I actually want a new DSi since mine randomly had a broken pixel pop up months after getting it at launch. Neither Gamestop nor Nintendo would cover it since it's so far after the fact. Nintendo said they'd take it in for repair, but that would cost almost as much money as a new one, and it'd be out for like three weeks.
= = = = = = =

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2009, 08:01:30 PM »
Your DSi has one dead pixel and you want to use that as an excuse to get a new system.

My old DS Lite had at least a dozen dead pixels and a broken hinge, and I didn't replace it until I botched a repair job and it actually stopped being usable as anything but a paperweight.

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2009, 08:34:36 PM »
Suddenly, still using an original DS seems like quite an accomplishment for me.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2009, 11:17:32 PM »
Your DSi has one dead pixel and you want to use that as an excuse to get a new system.

My old DS Lite had at least a dozen dead pixels and a broken hinge, and I didn't replace it until I botched a repair job and it actually stopped being usable as anything but a paperweight.

See, exactly. This is the exact reason Nintendo can get away with being inferior to its competitors. Because people like you look past its problems, simply because it's Nintendo, passing it off as "oh its not a big deal, stop complaining". Well it is a big deal. When I shell out over $150 for a friggin system, I expect it to come without flaws. Just  Whether I have a DSi with one dead pixel or a hundred of them doesn't matter. When you're selling something, the product should typically, you know, work.

So your DSi was a piece of [dukar] and you were too poor/lazy to get a new one. You want a medal for it? Your DS had many problems and you were content playing a broken system, and you're going to use that as an excuse for Nintendo to make inferior products?

Think about what you're saying.
'Your DSi which you paid money for has a flaw, and you are bothered that it will cost money to have repaired, and are using that as an excuse  use your own money to simply buy a new one which would be more convenient than having it repaired?'

Face it. Your argument is essentially "Nintendo has many problems, but we shouldn't speak up about it, and try to ignore them as best as we can."
= = = = = = =

« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2009, 11:42:34 PM »
Meowrik, you seriously need to chill. It's just a toy after all...

Also, Warp's argument isn't that Nintendo can get away with shoddy products because of blind fanboys like us. He's saying your reasons for replacing/rebuying a system are quite shallow in light of what you were originally arguing. Name one electronic these days that doesn't have even a minor flaw that can't be ignored.

Releasing half-assed products isn't acceptable, but to expect every one of them to be perfect when they're mass market merchandise designed to sell isn't exactly realistic either.

As for his DS, he clearly felt no need to replace it when it still accomplished what it needed to do. Would you replace a new car if it had only a scratch and a stain from bird poop? How about renting a new apartment because your old one had peeling paint?

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2009, 11:43:59 PM »
By the way, Meowrik:
Quote from: Wikipedia's page on defective pixels
In LCD manufacture, it is common for a display to be manufactured that has a number of sub-pixel defects (each pixel is composed of three primary-colored sub-pixels).

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2009, 11:46:49 PM »
If you expect it to have no flaws, you quite simply know absolutely nothing of portable electronics. PSPs have had a far far worse track record regarding dead pixels, and they have been known to cost more than DSes. Furthermore you don't know anything about LCD screen production yields and the fact that tons of small screens are likely to have dead/stuck pixels. Yes, it'd be nice if things were manufactured 100% perfectly, but that doesn't happen. For anything. So good luck on starting your company where you pay 10x more to make things than you sell them for because you test every system for a few months to make sure it doesn't have dead pixels and when you find a screen that does, you have to destroy it.
That was a joke.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2009, 12:13:23 AM »
Eh, too lazy to post a response now, and forgot how to delete posts.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 12:34:22 AM by Forest Guy »
= = = = = = =

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2009, 12:46:29 AM »
You can't delete posts.
That was a joke.

« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2009, 12:53:44 AM »
At least we don't seem to have much of a problem with burnout anymore. Except I have a minor case of it with my monitor. I have a flat-panel widescreen LCD monitor with Windows. The taskbar is always shown and I always have my windows maximized. Plus I use my computer a lot, so it rarely ever goes to screensaver. Result: There's a faint permanent line of discoloration near the top and bottom of the screen, right where the window title bar ends and where the taskbar ends. It's usually not enough to be noticeable, but it sucks seeing a line mar my wallpaper.

Applies in general to dead pixels and dust specks on the screen: 98% of the time you don't notice it. The other 2% you think there's a dot when there isn't, or you're wondering why a picture has a blemish on it until you move it.

By the way, I object to the Nintendo DS or PSP being called a "toy". It's too expensive to be a toy (in my own little world, a toy is something you play with for a while before tossing aside. Like some Game & Watch games). It's a portable entertainment device with a temporary lifespan.

I guess the solution to a double post or a post you don't want is to A. If it was posted within the last hour, edit it so it doesn't contain anything, or B. pretend it doesn't exist and hope no one will notice.

I was going to say ninja-edit until I remembered that means "edit it without anyone noticing" as opposed to "edit it at mach speed".
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 12:56:09 AM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2009, 01:16:57 AM »
Dead pixels are a fact of life on LCDs, just like questionable geometry was always an issue with CRTs. I have a dead pixel on my GBA but never once thought to return it since I know that the problem exists with the screen. Thankfully things have improved over time to the point where dead pixels are rare.

My current laptop has no dead pixels but my older laptop, which is nine years old, has two. They were there from the day I bought it brand new in 2000. However, it was a huge improvement over the days of old--my 1993 model PowerBook has five. My old Macintosh Classic may not have dead pixels even after nearly two decades, but CRTs have their own problems--I had to manually adjust the focus on it after about 13 years since it had come out of focus over time. (It still looks good, I must add--the machine works great and actually gets used now and then).

I remember when the old PowerBooks first came out. Apple had a policy where you needed to have something like eight dead pixels to even consider replacement. I'd imagine there is still a similar policy in place not only at Apple, but also at Nintendo, Dell, IBM, Sony, etc.

I'm going to say the DS is not a toy either. I'd classify it as a handheld electronic device much like the iPod Touch, except that its primary purpose is to play games, not music or videos.

Also, if there is a post that you can't delete, my recommended solution is to edit it and write <<erroneous post, please ignore>>.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2009, 07:06:07 AM »
If you edit your post within 60 seconds of posting it, it doesn't show up as an edit. Multiple times, even.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2009, 09:30:31 AM »
Okay, I get the idea with dead pixels. Regardless of how common they are, it just goes back to the point that it's dumb to design a system which has such a common flaw that locks software onto it. The only reason I went on that tangent was because people kept asking why I wanted to get a new DSi in the first place. Whether or not you think a dead pixel in the middle of your screen is merit enough to want a new one is your opinion, however don't tell me I'm unjustified in wanting to spend my money on a new one as opposed to spending almost as much for getting it repaired and not having it for several weeks.
= = = = = = =

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2009, 03:27:05 PM »
You can't delete posts.
But you can make great bonfires with them.

I returned a red DS to Best Buy in part because it has two dead pixels.  I also didn't like how the red color made the screen look somehow different than my other DS.  BTW, the second DS was so my wife and I could both play while on cross country flights. 

« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2009, 03:33:58 PM »
Would that be the second post-related pun you've made within the span of a month? Anyways, my DS, purchased in November of 2004, had two dead pixels right from the get-go. I have no intentions of doing away with it, but when the day comes, I've already got my sights set on a replacement.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2009, 03:53:24 PM »
It's probably been mentioned before, but I have what I believe is a "stuck" blue pixel on my DS Lite. Also, there's a calibration problem with the touch screen that I can't seem to fix and the bottom screen goes temporarily glitchy when I open it after closing the DS.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2009, 06:05:30 PM »
Luigison, getting a second DS for another person to use is a perfectly good reason to own two of a system. For the other potential reasons (having a backup system and trading Pokémon/whatever things in whatever game you play with a cross-cartridge trading system with yourself), you can just go buy a new one if the current one breaks (and spend the money then instead of now - and I mean when it breaks in the "broken hinge" or "what happened to Fifth's DS" sense of "broken" meaning "much harder to use at all") and you can borrow a friend's DS (unless you have no friends/friends with DSs), respectively.

Weegee, Luigison only comes to these forums anymore so he can make post puns when good opportunities for them arise.

ShadowBrian, there might be something wrong with the digitizer (which enables the touch part of the touchscreen), and depending on what you mean by "temporary," that screen-glitching might be normal (mine'll sometimes appear glitchy when I open it, and it'll flicker back to whatever it's supposed to be within that second).

« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2009, 10:30:12 PM »
If you want to design a system without that flaw, use a CRT. Try lugging THAT around in your pocket.

Print