Print

Author Topic: Sometimes Nintendo makes no sense...  (Read 14529 times)

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 09:08:59 PM »
Eh, neither did DSi one week after it came out. PSP Go has more RAM too, BTW.

As for the screen issue, DSi got slightly bigger ones, PSP Go got a slightly smaller one, but the resolutions are the same all around so I'd call it a toss-up.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 09:26:47 PM »
Are you implying that games are being made that will not work on a standard PSP at all? I mean full retail-price games that only work on the newer system, not little things like DSiWare and any possible PSPgo-only PSP Minis that might be made.

(Also, the DSi quadrupled the RAM of the standard DS models, so it has 16MB instead of 4MB. What was the increase with the PSPgo? I'm sort of interested, since I hadn't heard they had boosted the RAM.)

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 09:40:29 PM »
The DSi quadrupled the RAM and doubled the processor speed -- same upgrade as the Game Boy Color. Only it hasn't been pushed as much because unlike the Game Boy Color, they didn't wait ten years to make it, so it can afford to be a more gradual upgrade.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2009, 10:15:40 PM »
Are you implying

I always read that phrase in the voice of that guy from Starship Troopers who goes "OFFENSIVE!", emphasizing the "implying".
every

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2009, 01:51:18 AM »
Hmm, looks like PSP Go does have the same guts as the 2000 and 3000. My mind got warped by a widely reported misreading of a Japanese document referring to the USB transfer speed.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2009, 11:21:04 AM »
So in conclusion:

The PSPgo sucks and is almost identical to the PSP. (Everyone already knew this.)

The DSi had some massive changes made to it from the DS and DS Lite. (Everyone already knew this as well, though I seem to have forgotten about the processor upgrade with the DSi, which is the other reason we'll start seeing DSi-exclusive retail titles, and why I'm dreading trying to find homebrew software for the DS in the future. The RAM upgrade can be mimicked with a SLOT-2 RAM expansion; the processor upgrade can't.)

Meowrik doesn't know anything about programming and thinks making a change to Nintendo's DRM scheme on the DSi would be "easy" - and he doesn't realize that the only way to make what he was saying work would be to completely remove the ability to back up DSiWare to an SD card, because a firmware change isn't going to affect how the applications themselves work.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2009, 12:32:38 PM »
Yeah, I know nothing about programming, which is why I've already taken several computer science courses in the past four years. Way to go, Captain Assumption.

Regardless of what possible solution there would be, the point I originally made  was that Nintendo should have included such a feature to begin with. Afterall, the original topic of this thread was Nintendo making stupid decisions, i.e. "lets not give any features to make DSi downloads transferrable." or "let's construct a broken online system which kills any motive to play online to begin with." I don't know why you diverted it into DSi and PSP differences, even if I was wrong about those. Apparently I don't know anything about programming, but at least I know how to argue correctly.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2009, 01:46:22 PM »
You still don't understand. If Nintendo had done it a different way to start and made it so that the consumer could transfer purchases to a different DSi, you either wouldn't be able to copy stuff onto an SD card at all, or you would have to connect to the Internet every time you wanted to run DSiWare so that it could authenticate. Nintendo would not make the DSiWare platform without a DRM scheme in place, which removes any other possibility for how it could be set up.

With how it is right now, you don't have to connect other than to download software - meaning you can actually, y'know, take advantage of the portability of a handheld - and you can back it up onto an SD card, and the tradeoff is that the software is keyed to the hardware and can only be transferred over using developer tools (and do you really expect any of the console developers to give those to the consumer? This isn't PC, after all). Stop complaining that Nintendo is somehow at fault for "making you rebuy your games" if you want to go spend $170 on a system you already have because it comes in a different color.

And last time I checked, taking computer science classes has no bearing on whether or not you know anything about programming DRM on a proprietary video game platform.

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2009, 01:47:39 PM »
Yeah, I know nothing about programming, which is why I've already taken several computer science courses in the past four years. Way to go, Captain Assumption.

Apparently I don't know anything about programming, but at least I know how to argue correctly.

As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2009, 04:14:02 PM »
While the PSP Go gets knocked by many hardcore gamers that already have a PSP collection, it is probably one of the best financial moves Sony has made as long as they don't get to much backlash from it.  With the PSP Go Sony has full control of the library and can set prices however they want thus eliminating used game sales.  I just wish that all PSP Go titles were playable on PS3. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2009, 04:51:38 PM »
The main thing I hate about digital distribution is that you have a limited amount of space on which to save your games. That is all I have to say about any of this.
That was a joke.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2009, 04:54:17 PM »
Sony can set prices how they want now, but they'll quickly find that people don't want to spend MSRP (a good chunk of which covers the costs of stocking games in a brick-and-mortar store) for digital-only games, especially when they can't resell it and get back some of what they spent. By simultaneously being more greedy than usual and attempting to single-handedly destroy a vital part of the video game industry, Sony is only demonizing themselves in the eye of the consumer.

Also, with digital distribution, you don't have prices on older games dropping as often or by as much as with their retail equivalent. I don't know anyone who would want to pay thirty dollars to download a PSP launch title they could easily find at GameStop for $10 or less.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2009, 05:00:38 PM »
Maybe everything will go the equivalent of Greatest Hits or something.
No, I don't like it either.
That was a joke.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2009, 09:23:40 PM »
Stop complaining that Nintendo is somehow at fault for "making you rebuy your games" if you want to go spend $170 on a system you already have because it comes in a different color.

And last time I checked, taking computer science classes has no bearing on whether or not you know anything about programming DRM on a proprietary video game platform.

You're oblivious. I have my own reason for wanting to buy a new DSi, but as I stated, but you fail to acknoweldge, is that we're talking about portable systems which are far easier to lose/break. Bare in mind, Nintendo is still a family company as a whole. There's dozens of realistic reasons for one to want to get a duplicate system.

And like I keep saying, this topic isn't just about DSi downloads. But apparently your rampant fanboyism prevents you from detaching yourself from a debate you're capable of winning.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2009, 09:39:12 PM »
You're seriously calling me a fanboy now? That not only invalidates any argument you've made, it shows how ignorant you are by resorting to such name-calling with nothing to back it up. The only current Nintendo system - in fact, the only current system I own if you don't count PC - is the DS Lite sitting here. No DSi, no Wii. Explain how I'm a fanboy with such glaring evidence showing that I'm not.

Print