Print

Author Topic: Why don't any of you people have Plok  (Read 2266 times)

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« on: April 03, 2010, 01:25:56 AM »
Seriously why?

It's five dollars used on Amazon. It's beautiful. It's fun. It's touching. It's got thirty-eight levels. It has excellent music start to finish. It has no waggle. It has a button dedicated to ordering hornets to attack your enemies. It could be the SNES game you've all been whining for, and yet

none of you have it.

The second-best SNES game of 1993. Second to Yoshi's Safari.

Go buy it.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 01:32:36 AM »
Doesn't seem to be on VC. I'd try it if it were. Maybe someday it will be.

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 01:36:10 AM »
SNES games stopped being produced 14 years ago. Gamestop doesn't stock legacy games anymore. My best bet is either buying online (which I'm not opposed to, but consider it my last resort) or blindly jumping into yard sales and pawn shops hoping to run into it. Those are absolutely fun though, because you never know what gem you will discover.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 01:37:19 AM »
I have encountered the music of Plok. Like all Tim Follin masterpieces, it is another masterpiece by Tim Follin.
Plok is looking for his flag or something, right?
That was a joke.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 01:49:24 AM »
It probably won't be on the VC any time soon. The Pickford Bros, who made the game and own the rights to the character, have no idea who currently owns the rights to the programming, as the company that owned it was bought out or dissolved or something at some point. So just download the ROM and donate some money to them if you don't feel like tracking down a cart.

The plot is that Plok, who has declared himself king of the archipelago of Poly-Esta, wakes up one morning to see that his big square flag of himself has been stolen. He sails to Cotton Island to get it back. But there are plot twists sort of, involving all the smaller flags of himself planted across Akrillic. And a flashback sequence. And an amazing prog-rock-inspired soundtrack. No passwords or save, though, so it's only for real men. Also Plok fights by shooting his own limbs at enemies. Or by siccing hornets on them. Or with a flamethrower. Or by turning into a buzzsaw. Sentence fragments. Just phrases.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 02:20:13 PM by CrossEyed7 »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 10:23:27 AM »
Maybe I should have picked this up when I saw it at work. Oh well, I'll check to see if we still have it today.
That was a joke.

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 11:17:05 AM »
I have it in my SNES collection- it is a fantastic game. The cartoonish art direction and excellent CD quality soundtrack really bring it to life. It is also incredibly difficult when set on Normal mode, mainly due to its length and the Flea Pit levels.

Print