Print

Author Topic: Rock Band 3  (Read 6054 times)

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« on: June 09, 2010, 11:22:26 PM »
http://www.usatoday.com/life/lifestyle/2010-06-10-rockband10_ST_N.htm

Twenty-five keys and it'll work as a MIDI keyboard.

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 11:40:58 PM »
two advanced guitar controllers that take advantage of the Pro mode, one a full-sized, fully functional Fender guitar

???

(Also, darn you USA Today for making E3 less cool.)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 12:21:04 AM »
"a real device"
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 10:29:42 AM »
1) You are going to need a ****ing big-ass TV to play this game.

2) It's lovely to see Harmonix fall into the trap of making their games more and more and more complicated. It used to be quality over quantity, but no, rich thirteen-year-olds need as many plastic instrument toys as their living room can hold!

3) Why exactly are they trying to "transition gamers over to real instruments"? It's a god[darn] video game, not a U.S. Army musical training simulator. If you want to create music, buy an instrument, or Pro Tools, or do anything involving sound. I'm not the world's biggest music games fan, but I don't want Rock Band 4 to be a a box full of a couple real electric guitars, a big-ass drum set, a polished trumpet, and an accordian, complete with mime.

4) Now everyone gets all mad because I'm not gushing over this.
every

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 11:49:09 AM »
Why should they?  You bring up some valid points.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 06:28:44 PM »
I'm mad because your points 2) and 3) directly contradict each other. The game has too many plastic instrument toys, yet the game has too many real instruments?

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 07:20:47 PM »
I think the main point of 2) is that the game is getting too stuffed with gimmicks, and Glorb is ticked because said thirteen-year-olds will buy the whole shtick hook, line, and sinker.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 07:43:50 PM »
Too stuffed with gimmicks, no. It is actually becoming too stuffed with awesome.

As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 07:57:32 PM »
Aaaaaahaahahahhahaha!

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 08:12:45 PM »
On a related note...

What prevents me from enjoying The Beatles: Rock Band is knowing that there's no actual gameplay beyond this music minigame I'm required to endure in order to progress. Not being a able to manually explore an interactive environment or control an on-screen character is just too radical a gameplay departure for me, I suppose.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 08:14:29 PM by Weegee »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 08:15:21 PM »
I'm going to go play keys in a real band that doesn't play 100% covers. Right now.
That was a joke.

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 08:29:22 PM »
no actual gameplay beyond this music minigame I'm required to endure in order to progress.
[wtd]? What did you think you were buying?

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 08:51:59 PM »
Having only played Guitar Hero/Rock Band with friends before, I was deceived into thinking that it would provide the same rollicking good fun when played alone.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 09:05:17 PM »
So you thought a game built around playing with at least three other people would be nearly as fun solo? What?

Also, LD, eight players, unless instrument people do double duty or you just don't deal with harmonies.

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 09:10:58 PM »
It's fun solo, IMO. But go easy on WeeGee because his explanation his very valid. The experience is far more potent multiplayer.

8-player? Guitar + bass + drum + keyboard + vocal + harmony + harmony + ???

-
(Could a mod split this into a thread called "Rock Band 3" starting with Warp's orig. post? Curse you for not having the balls to make a new thread, Wrattler.)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 09:12:59 PM by Lizard Dude »

Print