Print

Author Topic: Sign here if you got at least two stars in Mario Kart Wii  (Read 9904 times)

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 03:31:04 PM »
The (arguably) best combo for many of the courses is Funky Kong + Flame Runner. If you don't want to use that, I'd recommend using a bike so you can use wheelies on the straightaways.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 05:19:43 PM »
Yeah, the best if you decide to spam everyone with wheelies constantly.

I can't stand being in a kart and then having the rest of the grid being literally Funky Kong/Mii/Rosalina + bike. Everyone spams the wheelie to all hell and it's just completely unbalanced. If you're in a kart, unless the other guys suck, bikes will ALWAYS come out first. Only by some miracle can a kart place high in the grid.

The grid will always be a handful of Miis on bikes, and they'll wheelie at the beginning and then that's it, the race is over from that point on.

Now, you could say, "hurr trenman u just suck at mehrio cart then. u must suck at bikes if u always get kart."

Well, no, actually. I've driven the karts and I've ridden the bikes. I have a preferred setup and I tend to stick to it which happens to be Mario + Wild Wing. I shouldn't be forced to run a setup I don't like just so I simply be part of the race in the first place in a sea of "YAAAAAAAAY", "YEEEEEEAHHHH", and "WHOA WHOA WHAOHAAOWAHA" instead of always being a mile behind a gang of bikes.
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 05:55:43 PM »
I always use karts. I've never gotten accustomed to the bikes' drifting style, and the fact that tricks can't be performed with the GCN controller removes the incentive to switch from karts.

By the way, Wild Wing is my favourite as well.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 05:59:15 PM »
Tricks can be done on a GCN controller. You have to use the D-pad to do them, though. Honestly a bit easier then shaking the Wii Remote, in my opinion.

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 07:56:18 PM »
That's news to me. Thanks.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2010, 10:20:04 PM »
*Signs*

Tricks can be done on a GCN controller. You have to use the D-pad to do them, though. Honestly a bit easier then shaking the Wii Remote, in my opinion.

I personally find it much easier to use the Gamecube controller to perform tricks. Besides the fact that I find it easier to simply push a button on the D-Pad, I also prefer using it because it cannot really mess you up like the Wii Wheel can. If you're shaking the Wii Wheel, you can easily steer yourself in the incorrect direction, or it may not even respond sometimes, which has happened to me. The Gamecube controller, I find, is a lot better at everything and is more suited for professional play. I like using the Wii Wheel for fun from time to time because it's something different.
Hacky, please stop teaming with the computers.

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2010, 10:30:40 AM »
Well, I'm 400 miles from my Wii for the next four months, so I guess triple-starring is out of the question.  If I ever do learn to manual-drift, though, it'll probably be with a low-drift kart, not a bike.  And definitely with a GCN controller.

BTW, has anyone else noticed that it seems to be faster to not do a trick about half the time (e.g. that first jump to the conveyor belts in Toad's Factory)?
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2010, 07:24:01 PM »
I wouldn't say half the time, but it is indeed faster to not do a trick sometimes.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2010, 03:42:49 PM »
Semi-bump with semi-relevant information; apparently there's an exact formula that determines one's ranking in Mario Kart DS, as discovered a while back.  Basically, it involves one's course points (10, 8, 6, 4, etc. per course) and a hidden scoring system which is broken down as follows:

+5 points for hitting a CPU with an item (not sure if this includes Mushroom boosts)
+2 points for a successful mini-turbo (ergo, snakers get *** rankings much more easily)
+25 for a rocket start
-20 for hitting a wall
-30 for hitting a course hazard (e.g. snowmen, Piranha Plants, fireballs, etc.)
-70 for falling off of the track

Points are also awarded based on each course's time, as well as for staying in first, and subtracted for time spent off-track without item boosts.

The final rank is given as follows:

Hidden Points40 CP36-39 CP30-35 CP20-29 CP0-19 CP
1000+******AB
700-999** *ABC
400-699* ABCD
200-399ABCDE
0-199BCDEE
Less than 0CDEEE

Not sure if a similar formula applies to Mario Kart Wii or not.  I find it interesting that getting hit by items isn't penalized at all (except when it causes you to hit a wall, hazard, or fall off the track).  The use of this system also means that if you get passed at the last second in the last race, then get a **-star rank, it would've been a triple had you not been passed.  As such, I've lost a couple of double-star rankings that way.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 03:45:12 PM by jdaster64 »
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Print