Poll

Which game do you think is better?

Super Mario Galaxy
6 (46.2%)
Super Mario Galaxy 2
7 (53.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Print

Author Topic: SMG Vs. SMG2  (Read 8981 times)

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2010, 10:49:47 PM »
I say there's no point in arguing the difference. As I've mentioned before, while the engine and name are both the same, they are two very, very different experiences. I like both equally. Each has their pros and cons. I'd have to lean slightly towards the sequel for being refined... buuuut...

One major ***** I have about the sequel is them trimming 100% of the excess. I can't stand their philosophy of streamlining crap so much that it starts affecting the levels. You can't deviate from the small, specific path they set out for you. There's 0 exploration. Many of the levels feel like going through an automated carwash at a gas station and a lot are incredibly short. There's no depth, it feels like. It's mostly just thin walkways to the next launch star with a node or two inbetween until you get to the power star. Beat Block Galaxy is a prime example of what I'm talking about.

Yeah! That's what it feels like. It's like minigame stations. Start the level, solve the puzzle/whatever in a small area which uncovers the launch star, fly to the next station, complete the minigame, fly to the next station-- and so on and so on.

When they first announced the sequel, I thought all right! They'll surely flesh out from the original more! Maybe we'll see Bob-Omb Battlefield-size levels AND planetoids all packed into ginormous levels! Lol nope.
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2010, 01:33:11 AM »
This is why Super Mario Sunshine is my favorite Mario platformer, because of its explorable levels that you can grow attached to and be familiar with. I know SM64 had levels like this too, but I enjoyed the levels in Sunshine much more, and enjoyed the added connection between each of the "worlds" as you looked at the background.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 even took Whomp's Fortress, shrunk it, and eliminated the fun explorability that was present in SM64.
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2010, 02:37:35 AM »
I think SMG/SMG2 are enjoyable for their own merits. Sure, SMG2 does feel like a series of carwash stations- but this is great! If I want 64 or Sunshine, I'll play 64 or Sunshine.

I think SMG2 is better than the first because the only thing it seems to do is expand on the first, and add a lot of neat easter eggs all over the place.

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2010, 11:46:52 AM »
I liked both Galaxy games, but G2 interested me more, I think because it was brighter, that Mario hub ship thing was more fun to navigate around, and the music to me was happier (when it was supposed to sound happy). But I still liked G1, definitely more than I liked Sunshine. >_< It was an adventurous change, and I'm glad I bought both! Tell you one thing, though...on G1, that toy-based galaxy was sooo not fun. I didn't like the idea of falling to my death into a darkened toybox, but that's what it made me feel like. ;_;

For both games, I'll never enjoy losing several lives because I slipped on a narrow path and fell into a black hole or lava. :P But I guess that's what happens while I have trouble with crazy quick movements!

Print