Print

Author Topic: How Kondo Has Changed the SMB Theme  (Read 3682 times)

« on: December 28, 2010, 01:41:51 AM »
Syncopation in the Super Mario Bros. theme

An interesting little look at the evolution of SMB Overworld. Note the part at the end about how he plays it live now.

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 03:55:44 AM »
After listening to the new arrangement, and then going back and listening to the original, it was really hard for me to un-hear the syncopation. The original sounded wrong to me. Like Kondo, the syncopation feels a lot more natural to me.

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 11:34:37 AM »
When I'm listening to it, I prefer the original, but when I'm messing around on guitar, I usually throw in the syncopation.

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 11:58:30 AM »
Cool! I listened to those differences; I just love analyses of music like this. The second one, because of the extra syncopation, makes me feel like dancing is going on, but it's like one needs to be held up or they'll slip around. But it has a more personal touch, like you can move the way you want.

The first, however, does seem more straightforward, almost a balance, like its purpose is to keep someone jumping on all the platforms of Super Mario. The rhythm has enough syncopation to free movement, but the lack of it almost makes for a secret pattern to follow. My thoughts are way off, but it really gives me that feeling!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 01:39:15 PM »
I dunno if this is an evolution of the theme so much as a specific quirk in the piano renditions of the song.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Print