Print

Author Topic: The real reason the DreamCast died...  (Read 1698 times)

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« on: February 20, 2002, 12:27:28 PM »
A lot of you seem confused as to why the DreamCast failed. I can clear all of that up for you...

Sega DreamCact was released in 1998. It immediately sold out in many stores accross the United States. The DreamCast had a 128-bit processor (not 2 64-bit ones), and could play music CD's in it.

The DreamCast also had a built-in modem that was made by Microsoft. The DreamCast could support Window's software (it says so right on the system) and could also access the Internet. Sega had created it's own Internet service to utilize this feature. Called SegaNet, the service allowed gamers to play special DreamCast games online! But it would only work for games that supported the service.

You could also use the SegaNet service just like the normal Internet; you could go to any webpage you wanted. Unfortunately, the service didn't last long. Not many companies were supporting Sega's Internet service, so it died out quickly...

Aside from the failure of the Internet service, the DreamCast made up for that, by having a huge library of great 1st-party games lined up for it. The DreamCast had a very good future indeed...

In October of 2000, Sony released their PlayStation 2. It was immediately sold out within 24 hours. Since Sony shipped twice as many systems than Sega had, the PS2 sold more systems than any other system in the world! What made the PS2 so great was that it could play old PS1 games...It was also the first system that came with a built-in DVD player.

Sony knew the DreamCast wouldn't last long, so they built their PS2 to include a faster processor than DreamCast. Sony also hired more 3rd-party companies to develop for it.

Many gamers were turned towards the success of the PlayStation2, and many of them sold their DreamCasts in order to buy a PS2!

THAT is why the DreamCast died, because Sony won more success with their god-awful PlayStation2 system!

This is also why Nintendo gave up on their Nintendo64! But they still had millions of dollars in profits from their GameBoy system, so that's why they didn't fail!

After the failure of the DreamCast, Sega was in deep trouble. They had lost millions of dollars because the DreamCast wasn't selling well... and PS2 was selling better.

Making consoles costs a lot of money, and since Sega had lost so much money, they didn't have enough to make a new console... So they instead quit the console business and intead focused on making games!

Hopefully, Sega will earn back enough money to make a new system. But that probably will never happen...

------------------------------
"Bwa ha ha! Guess who it is, loyal Mario fans...

It is I, King Bowser... ruler of all Koopas, big and small. I have come to take over the Mushroom Kingdom (no, not the place...I mean the WEB SITE!)! Deezer, you will surrender your troops to me, or else you will never see your precious Mario again! Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!"
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2002, 04:47:07 PM »
"A lot of you seem confused as to why the DreamCast failed. I can clear all of that up for you..."

I'm not confused about that, but thanks for your effort anyway.

"Sega DreamCact was released in 1998. It immediately sold out in many stores accross the United States. The DreamCast had a 128-bit processor (not 2 64-bit ones), and could play music CD's in it."

1998? Really? I thought it was released in 2000. And I also didn't know it could play music CDs.

"The DreamCast also had a built-in modem that was made by Microsoft. The DreamCast could support Window's software (it says so right on the system) and could also access the Internet. Sega had created it's own Internet service to utilize this feature. Called SegaNet, the service allowed gamers to play special DreamCast games online! But it would only work for games that supported the service."

You noticed a pattern here? Back in the days, Nintendo created a couple of games for the Atari systems, then they went into the business themselves and became super popular with the NES and SNES system. Then Sony created a couple of consoles parts for Nintendo, and they went into the business themselves and became super popular with their PSX and PS2 system. Then Microsoft created a couple of things for the DreamCast, and they went into the business themselves to become popular(Not super popular!) with the XBox and a game called "Halo".

"You could also use the SegaNet service just like the normal Internet; you could go to any webpage you wanted. Unfortunately, the service didn't last long. Not many companies were supporting Sega's Internet service, so it died out quickly..."

It isn't supported anymore? Funny, when I bought Super Monkey Ball, I saw an ad for SegaNet.

"Aside from the failure of the Internet service, the DreamCast made up for that, by having a huge library of great 1st-party games lined up for it. The DreamCast had a very good future indeed..."

Yup, it sure seem like it at the time.

"In October of 2000, Sony released their PlayStation 2. It was immediately sold out within 24 hours. Since Sony shipped twice as many systems than Sega had, the PS2 sold more systems than any other system in the world! What made the PS2 so great was that it could play old PS1 games...It was also the first system that came with a built-in DVD player."

If by "sold more systems than other systems in the world!", you mean more than the DreamCast, then most likely yes. But if you mean the most sold system in history, then the answer is no, because the Super Nintendo is the best selling system in history.

"Sony knew the DreamCast wouldn't last long, so they built their PS2 to include a faster processor than DreamCast. Sony also hired more 3rd-party companies to develop for it."

Actually, that is incorrect. As a matter of fact, Sony was afraid that the DreamCast would succeed, and rush their system to the market. Although it was sold out, there was a shortage due to their rush.

And another thing, Sony can't hired companies to make games for them, the companies will choose which system they want to make games for.

"Many gamers were turned towards the success of the PlayStation2, and many of them sold their DreamCasts in order to buy a PS2!"

That is true.

"THAT is why the DreamCast died, because Sony won more success with their god-awful PlayStation2 system!"

Such a sad thing.

"This is also why Nintendo gave up on their Nintendo64! But they still had millions of dollars in profits from their GameBoy system, so that's why they didn't fail!"

Nintendo is a multi-billion dollar company. Failing on one system won't make them go out of business. Did you know that it took about eight failed systems to take out Sega? And the fact that Nintendo is much richer than Sega will help the fact that they won't be going of business for a long time.

And another thing, although the N64 did lack in the game department, it was not actually a failed system. It did failed in the game department, but it succeed in the money department. Nintendo made millions off of the N64.

"After the failure of the DreamCast, Sega was in deep trouble. They had lost millions of dollars because the DreamCast wasn't selling well... and PS2 was selling better."

Too bad, Sega is a good company.

"Making consoles costs a lot of money, and since Sega had lost so much money, they didn't have enough to make a new console... So they instead quit the console business and intead focused on making games!"

I pray to God that Mario will never appear on a Sony or Microsoft system, even if Nintendo does failed and go onto the game making business instead of making consoles.

"Hopefully, Sega will earn back enough money to make a new system. But that probably will never happen..."

Actually, while it would be a difficult task, there is a chance of it happening. A much bigger chance than some people might think.

Nintendo, Born To Play.
"Here We Go!"
- Mario

Print