Print

Author Topic: Origins of Mario (and Luigi)  (Read 4844 times)

« on: June 29, 2000, 09:53:17 PM »
Now, I'm sure this question is posed somewhere else on the boards, but where (and to whom) were the Mario Brothers born?

Early in the series, they were plumbers from Brooklyn who fell down a pipe into the Mushroom Kingdom (or something like that).
But is Yoshi's Island, we clearly see the stork deliver infants Mario and Luigi to their loving parents in the Mushroom Kingdom.

What we have here is a fundamental disagreement within the Mario universe!
Opinions?  Anyone? Anyone?

-----
By the way, this is a special "collectors' post" by Hinopio to commemorate his 100th post on Fungi Forums.
(#574 in a series of 5000)
Someone set up us the bomb!

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2000, 10:04:10 PM »
Maybe, the bros' parents were plumbers before them, and they got warped to the Mushroom World, found out they were stuck, and decided they'd have to live there, but years later, after Mario & Luigi were born,found a way back to Brooklyn, and used it to get home.

Edited by - Winx on 6/29/00 9:07:44 PM

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2000, 12:17:56 AM »
Lola Prue has a similar post from a few days ago called "Mario's Parents" or something like that.
Thank you for saving us but our princess is in another castle!

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2000, 10:14:17 PM »
Huh?  What evidence do we have that Mario and Luigi were ever in the Mushroom Kingdom before "Super Mario Bros.?"  And where do you get that they were born there?  I don't count fan fiction as "official" Mario, I want to know where in a game or game manual it ever implies that Mario and Luigi had any knowledge of the Mushroom Kingdom before the events leading up to "Super Mario Bros."  
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2000, 05:43:16 PM »
I think Baby Mario is not Mario when he was a baby, but rather the next generation of the Mario brohters. Also, Baby Bowser is the next generation of Evil Tyrants. After all mighty Miyamoto croaks, they're going to make a series
Mario: The Next Generation.

Kweeh! Forget Whark! Kweeh! Is better!
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2000, 12:00:35 AM »
Mega 2, Yoshi's Island suggests that the Mario Bros were born in the Mushroom World. When Kamek attacked the stork trying to snatch the bros, he dropped Mario. Mario fell to Yoshi Island, onto Yoshi's back.
And, I believe (not too sure on this, though) that when the Mario and Luigi are returned to their parents, they are in the Mushroom Kingdom. My reason for being so unsure on this is because I haven't seen the ending for YI for a long time.

-TurtleTek
www.extremesc.com/turtletek/beam

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2000, 06:47:26 AM »
That's supposed to be Mario Jr.  "Yoshi's Island" takes place after "Super Mario World."  The parents you see at the end are Mario and Princess Toadstool.
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2000, 02:00:31 PM »
Mega 2, nope, I am going to disagree.  If Mario and Peach hooked up, wouldn't they be living in Peach's Castle?  Besides, the game refers to the couple as "Mario's Parents".  This is a small dinky-looking house in the middle of nowhere...  Besides, during the YI intro, Kamek tells the Toadies that they must find Baby Mario (not "Mario Jr.") because he will one day cause many problems for the Koopas.  Plus, Baby Mario is reunited in the end with Baby Luigi (not "Luigi Jr.")  In any case, the only information we have to say that Mario and Luigi did NOT come from the Mushroom Kingdom to begin with is in the Super Mario Bros. instruction manuel.  I'm inclined to believe YI because the SMB instruction manuel was made before Nintendo of America realized who big the brothers would become.  They screwed a lot of other things up to make the game more suitable to Americans, like changing Peach's name.

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2000, 06:49:23 PM »
Attention all subjects of the TMK message board-

Let it be known hither and yon, from this day hence, that fan fiction is completely irrelevant to any video game/movie/book/whatever and the development thereof.

<Hinopio does not condone the use/abuse of fan fiction in any way, shape, or form>
Someone set up us the bomb!

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2000, 07:05:10 PM »
I agree with Boo here. Actually, I'm pretty sure what Boo said is what is the accepted explaination. In chronological terms, YI is the first Mario game (it is unclear when YS happens..and I don't know if it is considered a Mario game at all).

-TurtleTek
www.extremesc.com/turtletek/beam

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2000, 07:14:45 PM »
mt sister shes a freak but she doesnt no about this website. so shes been searching all over the place to find out where they where born and the answer is Brooklyne, New york! there parents where born in italky and moved to united states so thats y they have an the funny voice
Break me...I dare you.

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2000, 11:07:13 PM »
I'd say Yoshi's Story took place after Yoshi's Island, because YS has Shyguys, remnants of Koopa forces running around in Yoshi's Island.

Print