Print

Author Topic: I'm Tired of Being Rescued!  (Read 5114 times)

« on: July 16, 2002, 05:43:03 PM »
Why does Peach have to be rescued so many times?  I wish Nintendo will wake up and smell the coffee and make a game where Peach will have to save Mario!  She can kick butt too!  I'm sorry but the patriarchy is getting to me....  

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2002, 08:23:22 PM »
where did I hear this......"all a femenist wants is to be a man."....hmmm, im not too sure...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sors salutis
et virtutis
michi nunc contraria,
est affectus
et defectus
semper in angaria.
Hac in hora
sine mora
corde pulsum tangite;
quod per sortem
sternit fortem,
mecum omnes plangite!

you really dont know, do you??

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2002, 09:07:45 PM »
All you feminists are so ***ist.

-------
In my dream, the world had suffered a terrible disaster. A black haze shut out the sun, and the darkness was alive with the moans and screams of wounded people.
Suddenly, a small light glowed. A candle flickered into life, symbol of hope for millions. A single tiny candle, shining in the ugly dark. I laughed, and blew it out.

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2002, 09:58:35 PM »
Maybe Bowser will decide he's really wanted to marry MARIO this whole time, and kidnap HIM . . .

Really though, ignore anyone who randomly flames you because of some insecurity THEY have, but that's just the way Peach is written.  She's a girlie girl, just as some people in real life are.  It's made for many an entertaining game, and many more where she DOES get to kick some tail (stupid language filter).  There are plenty of examples in the Nintendo universe of girls who AREN'T like this, like Zelda (who cross-dresses, and knows extremely powerful magic), Impa, and Samus (who most people didn't even realize was female for a long time because of all the stereotypes she didn't conform to, and still assume otherwise the first time they see her).

Not every female can be strong, just as not every male is . . . I mean, look at Toad!  Mario's always having to save him too.
Chiichana mune, okkina hitomi . . .

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2002, 10:20:16 PM »
Hey, Toad ruled in SMB2 and MT!^_^

Hey, it''s me, the local couch potato, hey look, I found some lint and a quarter...

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2002, 10:24:01 PM »
Thanks for supporting me:)  Yeah I guess Peach is too psychologically brained-washed by society to be a "girl".  But I'm sure one day she will wake up and break from her unknown oppression.  It's true that not all women are strong and not all men are strong.  But if we unite we can destroy the oppression that is reflected in videogames as well.  Feminism is meant to LIBERATE everyone not just women.  And whoever said that "feminists just want to be like men" must be smoking some serious mushrooms!  LOL!!!!!  Peace out!  

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2002, 11:48:12 PM »
I dunno....I think that statement was pretty true...but Peach did kick some tail in smb2....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sors salutis
et virtutis
michi nunc contraria,
est affectus
et defectus
semper in angaria.
Hac in hora
sine mora
corde pulsum tangite;
quod per sortem
sternit fortem,
mecum omnes plangite!

you really dont know, do you??

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2002, 09:20:36 AM »
We didn't realize Samus was a girl in the first game because THEY LIED TO US IN THE INSTRUCTION BOOKLET! They said "he" when refering to Samus. I'm not one to contradict instruction booklets.

-------
In my dream, the world had suffered a terrible disaster. A black haze shut out the sun, and the darkness was alive with the moans and screams of wounded people.
Suddenly, a small light glowed. A candle flickered into life, symbol of hope for millions. A single tiny candle, shining in the ugly dark. I laughed, and blew it out.

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2002, 10:02:41 AM »
DAISY AND LADY BOW AND BOMBETTE COULD CRUSH BOWSER ANY DAY!(i kno it said no shouting but i had to get this point out sorry if offended u)
gra ha ha, i've tricked you mario, i waluigi will rule mushroom kingdom

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2002, 12:09:35 PM »
Speaking of Samus, EVERYBODY in my school, except for Spiky Blue Shell and GreatGremlin thought that she was a boy. One kid even thought Samus was a robot.

King Boo isn't dead! He will return...

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2002, 12:20:15 PM »
This is so weird! I can't believe we're talking about this.

Let me explain.

Right before this topic I was working on a mini poster that took me two days to work on. It had Peach (I got rid of the crown, it didn't fit the scene) and Toad with Karate clothes on and heres what my mini poster said: The're not sissies anymore!

Then after I was done with the poster, I came back here and found the topic talking about Peach being the main character and kicking butt!

How freaky is that!?

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2002, 04:25:33 PM »
Toad's not a girl. He's just voiced by one.

(Jen Taylor, for those who really care)

-------

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2002, 04:52:46 PM »
Ah, I didn't know that, frostbite.  I never played the original game.  But still, most people who see her in, say, SSBM for the first time--where it's not insinuated anywhere that she's male--still assume she's a guy.  I know I did (even tho I saw her long before SSBM).

Anyway, I don't really see Peach being "oppressed" in the games.  No one holds her down just because they think she's a woman and thus inferior to men . . . usually she is kidnapped by Bowser, who has a thing for her (and her kingdom, of course).  If Bowser were gay, he'd probably be kidnapping a prince, who would be equally helpless under the circumstances; Bowser's one strong dude.  It's a personal thing for him.  We've also seen Mario kidnapped, and defeated by Bowser (PM) . . . it just doesn't happen as often because the villians are always male and everyone wants up on Peach, wishes to usurp her throne, and/or knows that she is Mario's weak point.  In fact, that the (main) villians are all male is a form of equally offensive gender sterotyping.  The only main female antagonist I can think of is Captain Syrup (another strong Nintendo woman), and the "Good Guy" in that game was actually more evil than her.

ETA:  No, I don't think feminists want to be men . . . they just want the same rights as men.  I won't say they want to be COMPLETELY equal to men, because they don't, and that's one of my main problems with certain areas of the movement; you never see a female feminist (there are males too, you know) insisting that she be entered into the draft pool and forced from her home life into humiliating boot camp and lethal armed combat, or that she be smacked about by a man the same way another man would be if they got into a bar brawl (instead we get the "There's NO excuse for hitting a woman!" bumper sticker).  The truth is both ***es are oppressed, in different ways, and the emotional/societal pressures men put on other men can damage their minds as much or more as those put on women.

Edited by - WanWan on 7/17/2002 4:04:11 PM
Chiichana mune, okkina hitomi . . .

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2002, 04:58:39 PM »
I know Toad is not a girl. It was a joke because he acts like a sissie.

Duhh!

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2002, 08:15:45 PM »
Dear WanWan I agree with some of your points.  I would like to go on and on about feminism in general but this is a Mario site and I will probably get kicked out if I go of on a philosophical tangent.  If you want to talk about feminism (and this goes to anybody else) please e-mail me.  Thanks:)  Peace to all!:)  

Print