Print

Author Topic: What did everyone first call Bowser?  (Read 9026 times)

« on: July 01, 2000, 08:13:42 PM »
When I first played I called him Koopa

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2000, 08:14:41 PM »
And when I first played SMB, my family thought the goombas were puppies.  Weird huh?

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2000, 08:31:40 PM »
Actually, I've always called him Bowser, as did everyone my age in my piece of the world. Believe it or not, I actually had not heard about the name King Koopa until quite recently. I think the SMB instruction manual called him Bowser, so I've stuck with it.

¤Thelo¤

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2000, 08:48:54 PM »
He was "the Dragon."  In the Japanese release of "Super Mario Bros."," he's called "Kuupaa Lung," meaning "snapping dragon."  His full name in Japan is "Bowsu Kuupaa no Wang," "King Bowser Koopa."  "Bowsu" may mean "Fiery," I'm not sure.  It's either a verb or an adjective.  "Kuupaa" and "Koopa" seem to be interchangable in Japanese "Mario" texts.
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2000, 09:34:41 PM »
I had a Super NES before I had an NES. Because of the cartoons, I thought that on the NES he was called King Koopa and on the SNES he was called Bowser.

*Looks inside of a candy bar wraper. Reads:* You have just won a Sony Plays.... Oh it`s crap!!
*Looks inside of a candy bar wraper. Reads:* You have just won a Sony Plays.... Oh it`s crap!!

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2000, 03:40:28 PM »
When I was really young I called him 'the green guy'.(I used to just watch my brother play SMB,I rarely played when I was that young.) When I got older, and learned his name, I called him Bowser.

Edited by - Winx on 7/2/00 2:42:57 PM

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2000, 05:35:59 PM »
I think the whole "Koopa King" started with the Super Mario Super Show.  I don't think they called him Bowser once there... Something about lisencing rights.
Thank you for saving us but our princess is in another castle!

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2000, 05:48:04 PM »
They called him Bowser all the time.  The way I found out his name was Bowser was from the cartoon show.  
Mega 2

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2000, 06:21:19 PM »
Yeah, but if we refer to Bowser as Bowser, why do we call them the Koopa Kids?
By the power of the Orange....

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2000, 07:02:31 PM »
They are Koopas, and they are kids...so we call them the Koopa kids, or the Koopalings.

Edited by - Winx on 7/2/00 6:04:34 PM

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2000, 07:25:08 PM »
I've always called him Bowser, King of the Koopas because that is what the manual called him. However, because I was pretty young and not all that good with English yet, I pronounced it "Bos-eh-rr, King of Koh-pas".

-TurtleTek
www.extremesc.com/turtletek/beam

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2000, 07:24:57 AM »
Look, it's not like "Bowser" and "Koopa" are alternate names.  His name is "Bowser Koopa," thus it's only logical that some sources will call him "Bowser" and some "King Koopa."  I think most of the game manuals call him "Bowser Koopa," and that's what they called him on the "Super Mario Bros. 3" cartoon show.  
Mega 2

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2000, 11:34:19 AM »
Even after SMW when I learned that his name was Bowser, I called him King Koopa (until you couldn't avoid it without weird looks), becasue I don't care what Bowser means, it's a better name for a chubby pitbul than a gigantic koopa.

Kweeh! Forget Whark! Kweeh! Is better!
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2000, 01:14:27 PM »
I called him "King Bowser" or something like that.  I knew all the names of the original SMB and SMB3 enemies and only called them that and chewed off the head of anyone who got 'em wrong. :P

-John Moore
 "Boredom is the mother of invention"
 http://johnmoore.cjb.net/

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2000, 10:10:04 AM »
I just called him "the turtle" just like the Koopa Troopas. I started calling him Bowser when I got older.

Print