Print

Author Topic: Graphical "toon shading" seems popular...  (Read 2834 times)

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« on: April 17, 2003, 06:48:56 AM »
With the recent release of Zelda: The Wind Waker, I think it would be very interesting to see "toon shading" (also known as "cel-shading") in other Nintendo games. Super Smash Bros, in toon shading would look nice...very nice. Or maybe a new Mario game that has a distinctive cel-shaded look... What do you think?
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2003, 07:42:11 AM »
It WOULD be interesting, and kind of cool. But I still think they should do a perfectly rendered 3D game, like SMS more with SSBM quality graphics.

I *vaguely* remember seeing beta screen shots of what looked like a future Mario game. (Super Mario Universe?) Anyway, if they were real, they looked pretty cell-shaded to me. But the characters looked kind of...off. Like I said, I *vaguely* remember seeing it, and I have no idea from where.

--------------------
If things don''t go your way, just keep complaining until your dreams come true.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2003, 10:58:17 AM »
I like cell-shading and all, but I think Mario should stay in the same graphical style as in SMS.
 n/a

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2003, 12:18:17 PM »
I know what you're talking about, Sapphira.  The "Super Mario Universe" was a short video clip of an allegedly new, cel-shaded Mario Game for the GBA.

As nice as it looked, there were a lot of inconsitencies, and Nintendo later confirmed its fraud... -ity? Fraudality?  Bah- whatever the adjective for "fraud" is.

Go Moon!
Go Moon!

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2003, 03:36:00 PM »
Oh, good, so I'm *NOT* insane. ...Maybe :)
I don't think fraud has an adjective, but, bah!, I make nouns into adjectives and verbs all the time on purpose. English language doesn't have enough is what I say.

Anyway, do you have any idea what kinds of inconsistancies? Oh, and I would think it'd be VERY difficult to do on the GBA. GCN would be much more logical. (Now I sound like a Vulcan. :)  )

Does anyone know of a source that has these beta shots and info?

--------------------
If things don''t go your way, just keep complaining until your dreams come true.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2003, 11:34:19 PM »
For that "Super Mario Universe?" There's a thread somewhere around here that has the link to it...
And really, Paper Mario is rather like cel-shading, considering they're paper cutouts.

But hey, you know what? THIS GOES IN GENERAL CHAT.
That was a joke.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2003, 11:41:42 PM »
Apparently people don't realize (or care, anyway) which board is appropriate to post topics in. I don't really care, though. As far as I know, I've posted my topics in the correct spots, so whatever.

--------------------

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2003, 11:42:13 PM »
It's Fraudulent. And yes, Super Mario Universe was indeed a fraud.

And personally, I'm quite tired of this cel-shading. It was nice with Zelda, but I wouldn't mind seeing it retired for a while. A slew of games have done it already, and many more are comming. It's just not original anymore.

EDIT: a before the u.
      One 'l' it is, wrong tense as well.

Edited by - Black Mage on 4/17/2003 10:48:22 PM

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2003, 11:44:34 PM »
I agree, cel-shading (one L) is nice sometimes, but it's being overused.

Edited by - Chupperson Weird on 4/17/2003 10:45:06 PM
That was a joke.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2003, 12:00:27 AM »
I second that.

--------------------

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2003, 02:12:57 AM »
Fraudulent!  Yes!
Wait... that's not what I want.  Okay, it's what I ASKED for but... I think I wanted the adjective of the state of being a fraud... or something.
Fraudulence?  Well, I'm sure it doesn't matter at this point.

Go Moon!
Go Moon!

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2003, 06:36:14 PM »
Fifth, "fraudulent" is what you asked for because you asked for an adjective. What you typed, however, requires a noun. The reason this didn't occur to you, I think, is that "fraud" is a noun, and you knew that "fraud" wouldn't work. English is a complicated language, and some words have more than one noun form; the noun you were looking for is indeed "fraudulence."

"As nice as it looked, there were a lot of inconsitencies [sic], and Nintendo later confirmed its fraudulence."

Also, if you were to follow that "i before e except after c" rule, you'd have to spell it "inconsistenceis." See why people learning English as their second or third language have a hard time?

I posted in BORED!! With a pinch of salt.

Edited by - Watoad on 4/19/2003 6:23:33 PM
The weaker you are, the stronger you can become.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2003, 10:25:04 PM »
"Fraudulence" occurred to me last night shortly before I fell asleep.

As I said in the General Chat Gameheadz topic, English is a clumsy and unnecessarily cumbersome language.
That was a joke.

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2003, 12:46:52 PM »
I think that WW would have looked a little more like a cartoon if they would have made outlines some how.

Everybody has the right to stupidity, but you''re abusing the privilage.
Yoshi likes to dance in his backwards saddle!

Print