Print

Author Topic: Mario 64...and..others  (Read 8199 times)

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2000, 10:16:41 AM »
Listen, why don't you just cool it? I never did anything to you, but I read that Miyamoto didn't get credit for most of his games(including Zelda and Donkey Kong). I'm not insulting Miyamoto by saying what happened to him up until about 1990 was unfair, am I? How could I even do that?

My statement is saying that Miyamoto deserves more credit, so why in the Mushroom World would you say I'm insulting him?

It sounds to me like your "high intelligence" is making you get confused...

Stop flaming.

-Luigi

I''m-a Luigi, number-a one!
Do my funky dance, Oy Oy Oy!

*does victory dance after SSB fight*

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2000, 08:02:37 PM »
All I want to know for now is what your SOURCE was for this (probably untrue) post?  Also, why are you changing what you said?  Before you claimed Miyamoto wasn't paid for his games up until 1996 (when Super Mario 64) was released, and now you're saying 1990.  I think we can apply the saying "You can't tell the same lie twice" here.  It seem as if you're trying to cover up your tracks.  So, if you really did read this from a publication, tell me WHERE.  Until then (and probably after), you won't have any credibility at all on this subject.

Oh, and this isn't "flaming".  If I see someone posting lies on a message board, then I have the right to make it clear that this person is spouting out untruths.  It's a debate, a debate that I seem to be winning.

Must...not...harbor...perverse...sexual...lust...for...the...SMRPG...fan...girl...
Must...not...harbor...perverse...sexual...lust...for...the...SMRPG...fan...girl...

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2000, 03:21:23 AM »
Dude, there's a difference between getting credit and getting paid.
Miyamoto didn't get his name up in lights straight away, no game designer does. But he still got credit for it, and indeed since SMB3, he's proven he's a wizard at game-designing, so he achieves much more credit than he used to.
But you don't need your name up in lights to get credit. Just because you didn't know who he was doesn't mean nobody did.
*this is sorta directed at all the points made on this topic - not to anyone in particular*

Fryguy - summoned from the flame
Webmaster
nindb.classicgaming.gamespy.com - Nintendo Database

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2000, 09:52:06 AM »
First of all, I said 1997, because that was when Mario 64 came out, and 1990 was when Miyamoto was hired by Nintendo of America. He got plenty of pay and recognition in Japan, but when he was hired by NOA, as I said in the first place, he wasn't as respected by the officials there.

It even said in your post that he at first created characters and artwork, which was when he first started working at NOJ. Then, after the officials saw some of the games he created, like Donkey Kong and Mario Bros., he became a director of animation. He did this until 1990, when he was hired by Nintendo of America.

When he started making games at NOA, nobody gave him credit for it. He wasn't paid as much as in NOJ, and people there just didn't like him. All I'm saying was that although his name was on the game and he was paid for it, he still didn't get the recognition as a gaming-genius until Mario 64 came out. That was my point in the first place.

I don't have links to the sources I got this from, but I have picked up bits and peices to make his biography when I did a report on him. I searched his name and found articles, and that was all.

I don't know why you have turned this into your idea of a "debate", when all you have done was say what I've said was lies and that I'm trying to dupe people. That doesn't sound like a debate to me, because I don't like to lie to people, and I don't like to be portrayed as someone who does.

I'm sorry if what you think I've said is untrue, but I just think that Mario 64 was Miyamoto's "american debut".

It was also a good game, although it doesn't compare to the classics.

-Luigi

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2000, 09:54:33 AM »
First of all, I said 1997, because that was when Mario 64 came out, and 1990 was when Miyamoto was hired by Nintendo of America. He got plenty of pay and recognition in Japan, but when he was hired by NOA, as I said in the first place, he wasn't as respected by the officials there.

It even said in your post that he at first created characters and artwork, which was when he first started working at NOJ. Then, after the officials saw some of the games he created, like Donkey Kong and Mario Bros., he became a director of animation. He did this until 1990, when he was hired by Nintendo of America.

When he started making games at NOA, nobody gave him credit for it. He wasn't paid as much as in NOJ, and people there just didn't like him. All I'm saying was that although his name was on the game and he was paid for it, he still didn't get the recognition as a gaming-genius until Mario 64 came out. That was my point in the first place.

I don't have links to the sources I got this from, but I have picked up bits and peices to make his biography when I did a report on him. I searched his name and found articles, and that was all.

I don't know why you have turned this into your idea of a "debate", when all you have done was say what I've said was lies and that I'm trying to dupe people. That doesn't sound like a debate to me, because I don't like to lie to people, and I don't like to be portrayed as someone who does.

I'm sorry if what you think I've said is untrue, but I just think that Mario 64 was Miyamoto's "american debut".

It was also a good game, although it doesn't compare to the classics.

-Luigi

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2000, 04:13:32 PM »
"Super Mario 64" was released in June of 1996.

"There will be an answer, let it be."
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2000, 05:33:19 PM »
(June in Japan, September in the states.)

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2000, 05:42:52 PM »
Miyamoto-san was NEVER "hired" by NOA.  He's always worked at the Nintendo of Japan headquarters in Kyoto, Japan.  Your statement about "Miyamoto's 'american debut'" also doesn't make sense, as that game was just as Japanese or American as all the other Mario games.  It was created and developed in Japan, and translated into English in the U.S., just as all the other Mario games (except for Mario is Missing, Mario's Time Machine, and Super Mario USA) have been.  I don't know whether you actually believe that you're correct (which you're not), or are trying to lie to us, but either way, everything you've said so far has been completely backless.

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2000, 11:01:22 PM »
Mario 64 was a let down in my opinion.  It had its good points but doing stunts to acheive gold stars isn't exactly that fun when you think about all the aspects of the olden Mario games that were taken out.  Where did the fire flower go?  And goombas theres a few for crying out loud!  And there wasn't many koopa troopas either.  Come on, I mean they should atleast had a few more classic baddies.  As with Zelda 64, I think it is great but its game play is similar enough to the originals that you don't lose the magic of the originals while playing it.  That brings another point up.  What ever happened to the concept of getting a power up and if you get hit you get knocked down a size?  Well Mario 64 is okay but it is just missing to many of the aspects we all know and love to make it not as fun as some.

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2000, 12:53:48 PM »
Yeah, Mario 64 took out a lot of classic "mario stuff", and put in other things for it.

Something I didn't agree with was how they took out the Starman and made it into more of a "golden banana-ish" thing..

and, now I must respond to GENO's "debate"..

I told you, I'm not telling this because I read it, I'm just suggesting what I heard in an article on one of the gaming sites. I didn't know if it was true or not, and it apperantly isn't.

It wasn't my doing. I said that and you say I'm duping people. If you hadn't taken this so far we wouldn't be squabbling over it now.

Just...drop it. I was wrong. But at least I know when to stop.

-Luigi

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2000, 06:19:23 PM »
Hey, I was just waiting for you to admit that you were wrong.  Now that you have, I'd be happy to drop it.  No love lost there...

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2000, 08:46:49 AM »
Ok. Just to show no hard feelings I'll...uhm........pasta...

-Luigi

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2000, 09:31:34 AM »
Mario 64 is, on a scale from 1-10, is a 8.5. It is fun in the fact that it does revolve around the Princess getting captured by Bowser. But the extremely small amount of enemies makes it one of the not-so-great Mario games that I'd like to play. I mean, 1 Chain Chomp, 2 Koopa Troopas, and only 6 Fire Plants (5 in Tiny-Huge Isle. and 1 in Bowser in the Sky), that's way too pathetic for a Mario game...

Mario Maniac!!
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2000, 10:32:14 AM »
The big thing about M64 was that because of the limitations of the first gen software, there either wasn't enough experience or polygons to implement features like fireballs and enemy hordes. So they had to mess with the formula a little. So M64 wasn't like the previous games. Personally, I think that's fine, it turned out just great. But there are some of the people out here with what I like to call "Old Geezer Syndrome". OGS makes people dismiss new ideas and whine that the old games are better no matter how good anything is.  There currently is no cure for OGS. Anyway, now that designers have a lot of experience in 3D, and the Gamecube blows the N64 away in polygon count (I love that Mario 128 demo, it's funny when they roll each other off the cliff), we might see more of the classic elements, depending on the direction they take.

Print