Print

Author Topic: SMB3 to SMA4 SPOILERS!!  (Read 3300 times)

« on: July 11, 2003, 04:00:00 PM »
played and completed.
here are a few changes that Nintendo made for the GBA port.   This list is not accurate. Just to give you an idea of what to expect!

graphic/sound changes

-New intro sequence. bowser's ship lands in Grass Land and a Koopa Kid takes over the castle.  The first time you visit a castle, an intro scene showing a Koopa Kid stealing the wand and turning the king into an animal.

-General graphics/sounds are a little upgraded. If you played hard the SNES version you will notice the changes. For example coins and cannonballs are a lil bigger because of the reduced screen size.

-Voices. Only Mario and Luigi have speech (the usual Let's Go!; Mamma Mia; Just What I needed...) except for an appearance of Peach crying MAAARIOOOOO! after you beat the first two tanks in World 8.  Almost forgetting, Boos do screech! (cool sound effect!)

-When warp-whistling, the SMB2/SMA1 "warping screen" effect is used.  Then appears a message that (I guess) says  "welcome to world 9"

-If you warp to world 8 you receive Bowser's message as u would if you beat world 7. If I recall correctly this didn't happen in the SNES version.

-Introduction to mini-games is way improved! It shows you and Toad at a table. Toad says stuff and then you enter a door where presumably the game machine is located.

-picture-completing minigame sound change: if you match the first 2 pieces of a picture, a drum roll effect will play.
Mario says "BRAVO!" if you win.

GAMEPLAY CHANGES

-the game is a LITTLE easied up, in accordance with Nintendo "No-Gameover" policy. When I completed the game 100% I had about 60 lives left and a 1.7M score.

-Beating Bowser unlocks the "world select" screen. Yes, you get to pick what world to play in! If you beat all levels (90/90)then you can freely play the levels you want.

-2 players option:  you have the option to play as "mario only" or "mario and luigi". The second choice is made to play with a fellow player, taking turns at the console. You can transfer lives between the players if you wish.

-You can pick a box in Toad's house even if Toad is still talking. Also you can interrupt Toad when entering minigames.
Just you must wait for the speech to be completed while in the king's presence(respect the boss!)

-you get to play the card-matching more than once if you get 80000 points more than once (if you get for example from 79950 to 160000 in one level you get to play the game twice)

-super picture-completing game! It appears as a hearts symbol on the map (I found it only in World 2).  It is the same of the spades-picture-completing but instead of Starman there is Raccoon Leaf as top life givers. Complete the Leaf for SEVEN lives!

-Pressing L on the map screen shows your item reserve. Pressing R a Lakitu appears and drags in a cloudy stage. Then he asks you for the e-reader. I guess it's for unlocking the famous hidden features.

-you can reach "World e+" from the select screen but it's useless if you don't have an e-reader (and the appropriate cards). The map screen contains: a space that allows you to switch between Mario and Luigi; a Lakitu spot that teleports you to the cloudy stage; some mushroom houses, all locked; and also a castle space. When you enter it you'll find it empty. on the upper-left corner the 1F message tells you that you are on first floor... looks like you can add stuff to that castle with e-cards.... maybe stairs!
Ace coins and other weird stuff are not unlockable by playing the basic game alone.

That's what I found for now.  now get out and play!

Cele the Ref

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2003, 11:32:03 PM »
There's a drumroll in the roulette game in the SNES version too.
That was a joke.

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2003, 12:50:49 PM »
so can you get Yoshi through ereader?
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2003, 09:07:10 PM »
How did you get to play Super Mario Advance 4? It's not even released yet! Or is it...?

Nintendo finally made a 2-player option for the Super Mario Advance series. I was really disappointed when there was no 2-player option in Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World.

I MUST GET SUPER MARIO ADVANCE 4: SUPER MARIO BROS. 3!

People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don''t like Nintendo obviously don''t like video games.
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Yos

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2003, 09:56:15 PM »
Cool, thanks for the early tips!

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2003, 10:31:22 PM »
What? you dont need a link cable or another GBA to play it player style?

* Are you happy now? *
------------------------------
Some things are good left unsaid. This may be one of them...

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2003, 07:50:16 AM »
How did you get to play Super Mario Advance 4? It's not even released yet! Or is it...?

Yeah...!?!?
 n/a

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2003, 09:26:10 AM »
Super Mario Advance 4 is released?! I never saw Nintendo Power or Nintendo.com review it... Nor any other gaming magazine/website.

People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don''t like Nintendo obviously don''t like video games.
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2003, 02:23:38 PM »
Only the JAP version has been released so far. Of course I played this version.

a few corrections from my opening post:

-After you complete the game, if you select a world different than World8 then you'll get to play several times the n-matching game. Dunno if it's a bug or a feature. (maybe the game thinks that once beaten the game the score should reset so makes you play once per every 80000 points in your total)

-super sliding images game: when you win at the normal minigame you find on Spade spaces, all Spade spaces become Heart spaces. the Heart sliding images game has a Leaf picture instead of the Star. it worths 7 lives.  If you win then all Heart become Clubs spaces.  The minigame now features a "3" symbol instead of leaf.  Complete it for 10 lives.  Win this version to make all clubs become Diamond spaces.  the diamond version makes you automatically complete a picture depending on how well you performed in the previous versions.  After Diamond, the spaces reset to Spades

-there are 2 types of e-cards so far: Levels (blue) and Items (green).
When you scan an Item card the pictured item is added to your item reserve.  Not much useful since you can visit mushroom houses at will after beating the game 100%.  They can be of some use if you can't beat it by your own.

Level cards are WAY more interesting: the one I've seen lets you play level 1-1 of SMB with SMB3 (SNES) graphics!
If you jump over the final pole you'll get a secret exit.

also there are items and enemies that will become available only by using e-cards. This includes Big Boo, Charging Chuck, Rip Van Fish and others.  As for items, I've seen Trampolines, Huge Veggies, Cape Feather and Boomerangs.

No yoshi for now.  He wasn't supposed to be in the game anyway.

The game is hardly hackable with cheating devices.  Looks like Nintendo don't like cheaters.  :)

Cele the Ref

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2003, 12:49:02 PM »
They managed to get Yoshi into SMA and he is part of the other two so if they don't manage to get him in SMA4 then it just wouldnt be the same. :(

I have a signature.
I have a signature.

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2003, 06:11:34 PM »
After playing the rom(gasp) and using a slew of cheat codes, I was able to use the feather item. It's really cool to run around as caped mario!
No, really, I did get SMA4 six days early.

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2003, 06:13:29 PM »
<NOO! I DOUBLE POSTED!>

The boomarang is really cool, but you can only throw it once! It must have some "super secret" reason for being.

Edited by - kooper113 on 8/8/2003 5:14:24 PM
No, really, I did get SMA4 six days early.

Print