Print

Author Topic: Re: Waluigi  (Read 3516 times)

« on: August 16, 2000, 01:20:11 PM »
I don't have a huge problem with Waluigi, except that he has a cheesy name and the whole concept isn't very original...

If anything, they should change his name to Waruigi, considering that 'warui' is the Japanese word for 'bad' anyway. (I think...)

->- That''s no moon; it''s a space station. -<-
Someone set up us the bomb!

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2000, 02:35:44 PM »
Super Luigi: I read that "igiwalui" thing in Nintendo Power. Personally, I don't believe it... I've never seen "igi" used to mean "someone." But then again, I've only been studying Japanese for a year...

Hinopio: In Japanese it is in fact "waruigi", but pronounced "waluigi" because R's are pronounced like L's most of the time. At first I thought Waluigi's name was a clever combination of "Luigi", "Wa" from Wario, and "warui" (meaning "bad"). Now with this "igiwalui" explanation in Nintendo Power, I'm not so sure...

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2000, 04:50:36 PM »
Oh yeah, like at the end of "A Christmas Story" when the guys at the Chinese restaurant are singing:

Manager: No, no, no!  Like this!  <ahem>
'Deck the halls with boughs of holly;
Fa la la la la, la la la la!'
Now you try.

Waiters with thick Chinese accents:
'Deck the harrs with boughs of horry;
Fa ra ra ra ra, ra ra ra ra!'

->- That''s no moon; it''s a space station. -<-
Someone set up us the bomb!

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2000, 02:09:14 AM »
Heheh that's movie's a classic.

"You'll shoot your eye out!"

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2000, 04:38:28 PM »
In English games he's "Ruigi."

"I should have known.  He was acting very peculiar for a dead assassin."
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2000, 03:35:59 AM »
Nintendo Power couldn't tell their translations from their arse. I've seen some of their Pokémon name translations... never seen such a big pile of errors.
And does anyone remember when they though Koffing and Weezing were called Ny and La in Japan? Nintendo Power aren't a very good source for info, I feel.

Fryguy - summoned from the flame
Webmaster
nindb.classicgaming.gamespy.com - Nintendo Database

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2000, 10:58:28 AM »
I personaly don't see why everyone bashes Waluigi. I think he's pretty clever besides I don't think anyone gave him a fair chance. come on people has Miyamoto ever let you down? ( assumeing he made him )

"PARATROOPA'S, ATTACK"
"PARATROOPA''S, ATTACK"

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2000, 07:35:04 PM »
I vaguely bashing Waluigi a long, long time ago, but I've mended my ways caus' now I want to see his girlfriend.

Kweeh! Forget Whark! Kweeh! Is better!
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2000, 07:03:15 PM »
The Waluigi thing fits and all (Waruigi actually sounds good for a name, I think I'll call him that!), and Blue is the most fitting color (Not for who he is, but by the fact that the other 3 were taken..), but I still can't get over the fact that he looks like a mix of Luigi, Booster, and **** Dastardly!

Snarf

Print