Print

Author Topic: ESRB Ratings  (Read 1826 times)

« on: August 07, 2004, 03:57:52 PM »
I was reading a website last night that had people chatting about ESRB. They mainly talked about how parents keep overlooking the ratings and say that M rated video games are completely harmless, when they say that their kids sneaking into an R rated movie is horrible.

Do any of you think ESRB is doing a good job informing parents about what video games contain?
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2004, 07:44:21 PM »
Yes.  Parents need to take some responsibility once in a while.  Game ratings might be slightly more effective if they used the same system as movies, but that's copyrighted/trademarked by the MPAA.

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2004, 09:11:40 PM »
Good enough. It's the syndrome of non-gaming parents having an outdated view of what messages games can convey. They are an artform now, and mature art exists. We will learn in time.

[Editor's Note: Lizard Dude is not a non-gamer parent. He meant the human race. Thank you.]

“I’m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven.”

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2004, 02:47:47 PM »
I think parents should do a better job of getting their kids to know the difference between Fantasy and Reality. If the child asks for a game that has extreme violence and adult content, and the parent knows that their child is smart enough to know the differences between fantasy and reality, it should be fine for them to play.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Print