Print

Author Topic: Mariology (serious posts wanted)  (Read 478068 times)

« Reply #1275 on: June 14, 2007, 09:15:29 AM »
Maybe pipes have some sort of magic barrier on them that allows Mario is walk across them, and when Mario chooses to go downwards, the barrior acts as an elevator to safely transport him.

In PM and PMTTYD, there is a block in the pipe, but the block is cut around the edges, so there is a circular gap (like in that movie "The Ring", where looking up in the closed well shows the ring of light- the circular gap). Mario can thus only enter the pipe if he starts in "spin" in around the edges through that circular gap.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1276 on: June 14, 2007, 11:07:46 AM »
In SMB if you have momentum but are not pushing into the pipe, once you touch it, you still go in.
That was a joke.

« Reply #1277 on: June 14, 2007, 11:45:15 AM »
Really? I must have forgotten. I'll test on VC today.

« Reply #1278 on: June 16, 2007, 06:00:56 AM »
In SMRPG he clearly stands on the empty space. This has been covered.

Maybe they didn't want to make different sprites for Mario standing on the pipe, it has happened before.

« Reply #1279 on: June 16, 2007, 04:23:30 PM »
Perhaps the elevator block is invisible.

« Reply #1280 on: June 17, 2007, 07:27:06 AM »
It's still more plausible

« Reply #1281 on: June 17, 2007, 07:30:58 AM »
In SMB if you have momentum but are not pushing into the pipe, once you touch it, you still go in.
Just tested and you are correct. This is for running straight at the pipe, though. The thing that confused my memory is that if you're jumping down into the side of the pipe, you'll hit the side and then scrape down the side but don't go in. This is because, obviously, you're going straight down and don't have any momentum into the pipe.

« Reply #1282 on: June 19, 2007, 11:21:38 PM »
While we're on the subject, why can Mario go in some pipes and not others?
The writer must earn money in order to be able to live and to write, but he must by no means live and write for the purpose of making money.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #1283 on: June 19, 2007, 11:29:46 PM »
It adds an element of mystery to the games. If you're looking for some pseudoscience answer, perhaps not all of the pipes are on, or even connected to other pipes. This would mean, of course, that there are no maintenance programs for warp pipes, which means that they probably don't know how they work.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1284 on: June 20, 2007, 08:00:41 AM »
I like to think that the pipes were built by some ancient race, or maybe even an ancestor of Mario's, since he's a plumber and all.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #1285 on: June 20, 2007, 10:28:24 AM »
Why would TMK use things that are hundreds, probably thousands of years old? You don't know what might have build up in those pipes! Or how rusty they are! You never know when the old pipes may finally crumble in a section, sending many mushroom people to game over. What I think about pipes is they are just a part of normal TMK engineering and construction, like the we has roads, since TMK doesn't have alot of roads and cars they might want another way of transportation.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

« Reply #1286 on: June 20, 2007, 10:55:26 AM »
The ruins of Rogueport contain pipes that are a thousand years old.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1287 on: June 20, 2007, 11:42:46 PM »
Why do we use hundred year-old pipes today? Hmmm?
That was a joke.

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #1288 on: June 21, 2007, 04:38:49 AM »
Roman aquaducts... He is Italian after all.

« Reply #1289 on: June 23, 2007, 06:13:59 PM »
About the Toad hats/head debate:

In SMRPG, the Chancellor says something like "I was so worried, I almost scattered my spores!" Unless they keep spores under their hats, it's probably their head.

A hat wouldn't scatter spores unless there are some under it or something.
Of course, toads might carry spores inside their body if that's a hat, but because spores bring mushrooms to mind, I'd say the spores are in the shroomtop.

Another thing: is ♥♪!? a starman? Do starmen come from the Star Road?

Note: When I refer to ♥♪!?, I mean the entity controlling the doll. When I refer to Geno, I mean the doll or the doll/entity combo.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 07:37:50 AM by Mack_The_Knife »
We have a secret page!

Print