Print

Author Topic: should i give it away after paying for it?  (Read 2976 times)

« on: March 19, 2005, 11:38:42 PM »
I was wondering if i could get some opinions on this one...

Well remember I was talking about my one student who broke his leg there, and I lent him a bunch of my gameboy games, well his brother confronted me the other day and asked "Can we keep one", and I didn't say yes or no, but the kid with the broken leg's birthday is coming up very soon, and I was wondering if you think I should let him keep a game for his birthday.

I bought the majority of my games with my own money, and although i don't play them terribly lots anymore, i'm still questioning wether i should give it away, seeing as though I don't give the other students much other than candy for their birthdays.

Help?

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 11:52:42 PM »
I say give it to him, but don't make a big deal about it.  I once gave a student several used science fiction books, and none of the other students complained.  Most of them would have rather had candy anyway.  
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 11:55:07 PM »
If I decide to, I'll talk to his parents, then I'll talk to him and make sure he doesn't brag about it at school.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 11:58:39 PM »
That's a good idea.  Are you a teacher?  I am.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2005, 09:50:41 PM »
i'm a teacher's assistant for now, i'm going to university soon.

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2005, 07:30:24 PM »
well i'm not too sure now, because i got into a fight with his mom today, so i haven't asked her, and not too sure if I will.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2005, 07:50:18 PM »
Fight?

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2005, 08:50:44 PM »
yes, fight

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2005, 09:15:02 PM »
As in hitting each other, or was it verbal?

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2005, 09:36:33 PM »
Oh yes Luigison, i'm so out of control that I get into fistfights with 40 year old women!  (sarcasm)

No it was just, her son was back at school for the first time since before the break so after lunch I had some marking to do, and I was the only one who was going to be in the room at the time, and if there's no one in the classroom, kids have to wait in a cubicle, so I thought he'd like to be in the room so he could play, and I could keep my eye on him, but then he tells me "Oh my mom said i'm not allowed to stay in the room with you alone" and that just ****ed me right off, when she showed up at the end of the day we got into a huge argument.

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2005, 09:38:30 PM »
oh i forgot to mention that I have been close to this family for about a month now, and I met this mom about 2 months ago, and she seemed very nice, and we hit it off excellently, and I gave him my gameboy games when he broke his leg (to borrow), and I thought she liked me, then this comes up!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2005, 09:44:22 PM »
Maybe she is just being protective of her son.  I see that all the time.  

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2005, 09:00:25 PM »
Ya I kinda feel bad now, because it was sort of like you know:
Me: Hi
Her: Hi
Me: How are you?
Her: Not bad, and you?
Me: Meh, I'm okay...so how come you don't trust me?
Her: What?
Me: Well you told him that he couldn't stay with me.
Her: Look, I'm not getting into this now.  Let's talk later.
Me: Well I feel like talking now.
Her: We'll discuss this later!
Me: Well, unlike you, I feel like talking now...right now.  Just give me the reason.

We argued a bit like that, then I just shouted "Forget it!" and walked back into the class.  although I want to make things better with her, to be honest I don't want to talk to her right now, I don't want to see her, and although I have to talk to her, if I see her I'm not gonna talk to her.  A "Hi" is all that'll come out of me.

It wouldn't be so bad if my name wasn't the only one mentioned, but she was very specific when she told him not to stay alone in the room with me.

Print