Print

Author Topic: Super Mario Advance 1-4  (Read 3287 times)

« on: March 22, 2005, 03:49:56 AM »
Which Super Mario Advance was the best? I'm not talking about the inherent quality of the original games they were based on; I'm talking about which was the best port job?

“I’m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven.”

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 06:57:38 PM »
That depends on what you mean by "best port".  If you mean the most like the original then the NES Classic SMB (not in the Super Mario Advance series) is the best.  I like SMB3(Advance 4) the best because of the e-World and e-Reader items/effects, but since those weren't in the original (nor the SMAS) version I am not sure if their addition meets your definition of "best port".

Edit: e

Edited by - Luigison on 3/22/2005 5:08:40 PM
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 07:15:15 PM »
I haven't seen them all, but I currently think that SMA2 was the best duplication.

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 09:12:35 PM »
I think Super Mario Advance was the best one, because I really love what they did with SMB2.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 10:11:30 PM »
That was a good adaptation, but not a duplication. The problem was mainly the eggs in  subspace. That wasn't in the original, was it?

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2005, 12:02:31 AM »
I certainly don't mean best duplication. I mean, simply, best, all things considered. I have my own opinion but am waiting to see others.

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005, 12:49:03 AM »
Super Mario Advance 2, in my eyes, is the best Mario platform game ever. However, it comes equal with SMBDX.

Epitaph No.1: I told you I was sick!
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 08:03:05 PM »
I haven't played SMA4 more than for a few seconds. But I was most blown away with what they did with SMB2 for SMA1.

"Don’t look into car headlights and freeze, because you might get run over or shot."
That was a joke.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 08:49:52 PM »
I don't mean to frighten anyone, but I have never played the original SMB2, 3, SMW, or SMW2.  I was but five when we gave away our SNES and got an N64.  And I wasn't seven or eight until I actually played, I usually watched my brothers play while I quietly sat in the corner, hoping they wouldn't kick me out because they thought I made them mess up from being in their room.

The point is, The SMA let me play the classics myself, and if I had to pick out of all of them, I really can't decide.  Super Mario Bros 2 has the dream quality, Peach and Toad playability, and original music not present in the other Mario Bros game.  Super Mario World has YOSHIS, not to mention the cape feather and the variety of powers that go along with the different Yoshis.  Super Mario Bros 3 has the classic Super Mario Bros feel, but with great backgrounds, more flying power-ups, and hopping shoes!  I don't have Super Mario Advance 3 because it didn't look as exciting as the others, but that just means I'm ignorant of the subject and can be wrong.  Anyway, I just think all the Super Mario Advances are a gift to us not-SNES-havers, and the games they were based on are truly rock-on-ish, which is good.

(Hyphens are handy!)

“You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view.” -Atticus Finch
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2005, 01:10:23 PM »
I never owned the orgianl games, but I played them at friends houses and such. Personally, I think they did a good job on Super Mario Advance 3. I love Yoshi's Island out of the original four games and I think the Yoshi's Story style voice are a great add-on!

Random Anime Quote:

"Women may be from Venus, but Junpei from Uranus."-Ritsuko, Thoes Who Hunt Elves episode 7.
Random Anime Quote: "Wiggle, Squiggle! Look, I'm a mollusk!"
--Freesia Yagyu, Jubei-Chan 2 episode 3.

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2005, 02:37:19 PM »
Definately 3 or 4.

I got glued to 3 again a week ago...

------------------------------
I''m back baby...
"They won''t miss it..."-The little voice in my head.
------------------------------
"Smash anyone and anything that gets in your way!"-Falco, Star Fox: Assault

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2005, 04:56:58 PM »
I might as well say now that I prefer SMA3: Yoshi's Island, becuase the six completely new levels that they added are great and the screen reduction issue was handled the best. I don't have very much experience with the other SMAs though, so like Markio said about himself, I could be biased.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2005, 08:17:22 PM »
I never was able to play YI on the SNES, so I liked SMA3. I want SMA1 so bad... EBay? Or Amazon?

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2005, 08:24:59 PM »
I've only played SMA
but I did like it a whole lot
more hearts made it so I could finaly beat it!
and the voice clips are fun, too!
Hey, wazzap? It's the Phred-guy! Isn't that nifty?

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2005, 09:35:37 PM »
SMA1 was great, except for a few minor things...

The many extra extra hearts made it easier, sometimes too easy, but not terrible.

The Yoshi Egg challenge was extremely hard...and well, not worth playing more than once.

Print