Print

Author Topic: The Revolution... Nintendo's last chance?  (Read 4360 times)

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« on: October 27, 2005, 06:21:21 PM »
It has been said many times that the Revolution may be Nintendo's last attempt at holding their ground in the console market. Satoru Iwata is even a bit nervous about system's success, stating that the Revolution would be a "complete failure" if it did not outsell the GameCube.

Nintendo is taking a big risk in developing their unique controller. They are trying a concept that no one has ever seen before in gaming, much like the DS's touch-screen feature, and are putting all their resources into making it a successful product.

Many of you may think of the Revolution as a rebirth of the NES era, where innovation and gameplay will once again reign supreme. This may actually work, if Nintendo manages to utilize the controller effectively. Many third-party developers have expressed interest in making games using the controller, but with a lack of actual game demos, nor an official list of developer support, it is best to take these comments with a grain of salt.

Remember when many developers wanted to support the GameCube, then they quickly backed out once they realized the system wasn't selling to anyone's expectations?
The same thing could happen with the Revolution. It could be the next flop like the Virtual Boy, or it could be a resounding success like the NES.

The only thing Nintendo has to do is gain enough thrid-party support and develop games that actually utilize the features of the Revolution's controller.
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 07:21:06 PM »
As I said in your other thread:

"I think they'd still be on their feet if the Revolution doesn't live up to their expectations. They can certainly still live off their Gameb-...", er, ahem, Game Boy "...sales which have always been high."

I personally think Nintendo is the Microsoft of Japan, they have tons of money to fall back to.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 07:27:00 PM »
They're making (and quite possibly including) the controller shells for the boring, bland, non-adventurous people. Bleah! I can't wait to use that remote thing!!!

Corn is no place for a mighty warrior!
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 07:35:06 PM »
I think Nintendo officials have actually commented on some occasions that they don't have piles of money to fall back on like the other companies do.  I'd say Sony is the Microsoft of Japan.

I'd love to see the Revolution be a spectacular, complete success, reinvigorating the industry and leaving Microsoft and Sony dumbstruck as they rush to copy Nintendo's controller, like some many other companies have done in the past.  I want this not so much because I'm a Nintendo fan, but more because I would love to see Microsoft and Sony humbled.  I also wouldn't mind seeing Nintendo humbled if Revolution were a humiliating flop.  I think I'm just a little bit sadistic.

I haven't decided yet which, if any, of the next-gen consoles I'm going to buy.  I might just stick with my PC.

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 07:57:06 PM »
Actually Nintendo does have piles of money. They're very profitable and a pretty rich company.

As for developers, is this kind of like how the DS didn't get any devs? That's what I thought.

80-90% of the times I see devs comment on the Revolution, they like it. Only notable exception I can think of off of the top of my head is Epic.

Lizards in zoos are really dudes - dudes using disguises everyday.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2005, 12:26:17 AM »
Well, Nintendo has piles of money, but since their main business is games, they don't have lots of other money generators to pull endlessly from like Microsoft.  So, yes they're very profitable, but failure would hurt them much more than it does Microsoft, relatively speaking, and thus their risk is larger.

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005, 02:28:02 PM »
It is a dog eat dog world.  Survival of the fitest.  I have faith in the Revolution.  And I know nintendo fans will stay faithful to what is right in the gaming world.

DRAGGING BEHIND YOU< THE SILENT REPROACH OF A MILLION TEAR-STAINED EYES....
I only watch [adult swim]

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 03:00:52 PM »
Nintendo will not go bankrupt! I'm currently donating some of my money to NOA and I'm encouraging my friends to suscribe to NP. Have you all noticed that Nintendo gets money from magazines too?

Mario and Luigi They’re our men, if they can’t triple-jump and ground-pound no one can!

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 03:01:02 PM »
Drat! I tried clicking the back button so I didn't have to wait for my message to post but it didn't post so I post replied again and it became a double post!

Mario and Luigi They’re our men, if they can’t triple-jump and ground-pound no one can!

Edited by - Aarom11 on 10/28/2005 2:02:09 PM

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005, 04:51:25 PM »
Not trying to be rude, but shouldn't you be donating money to more important things like hurricane victims instead?  Unless you're already doing that and giving less to Nintendo or not really giving that much to Nintendo in the first place.  But that's my opinion and just a suggestion (hope I don't knock over the wrong domino by saying that).

(E I):o{D___(--I I):o(D___(o 8(= P)___(= (:  )@)___(3 I)}:O})+)___<( )=(: )) )

Edited by - Yoshisaurus Rex on 10/28/2005 3:52:21 PM
(E I): o{D___(--I I): o(D___(o 8(= P)___(=(:  )@)___(3 I)}:O})+)___<( )=(: )) )
The cake is a lie, your base belongs to us, keyboard cat will play you off as you fall out of the bus.

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2005, 04:56:01 PM »
No offense taken YR. I just want to make a difference.

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2005, 11:00:01 PM »
Okay.  That's alright.  I'm sorry, now that I think about it that comment was pretty rude.  I just woke up from a nap and wasn't thinking quite straight. "See that?  He's in a dazed stupor!"  There's plenty of people helping out with that so I should mind my own business. How much did you donate?

(E I):o{D___(--I I):o(D___(o 8(= P)___(= (:  )@)___(3 I)}:O})+)___<( )=(: )) )

Edited by - Yoshisaurus Rex on 10/28/2005 10:08:15 PM
(E I): o{D___(--I I): o(D___(o 8(= P)___(=(:  )@)___(3 I)}:O})+)___<( )=(: )) )
The cake is a lie, your base belongs to us, keyboard cat will play you off as you fall out of the bus.

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2005, 11:41:02 PM »
I can see why Iwata would say something like that. Nintendo seems to be pulling all the stops this time around with the Revolution while the Gamecube had a botched launch no matter how you look at it.

1. No standard Mario platformer that usually accompanies the launch of a system.
2. Small third party support in the beginning of the Cube's launch.
3. Huge game drought between launch and Summer.
4. Offered nothing other than new games compared to the PS2 and Xbox which had DVD support, Online play and a hardrive.

Now for the Revolution:

1. They have both Mario 128 Revolution and Super Smash Bros. 3 as launch titles along with a new original franchise.
2. Online play will most likely be ready by the time of the Revolution's launch.
3. Backwards compatibility with GCN and Download Backwards compatibility with N64, SNES and NES.
4. New (possibly revolutionary) controller AND Standard Controller Shell.

See the difference?
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2005, 03:45:13 AM »
But we still haven't seen any games...

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2005, 07:34:04 AM »
What about Metroid Prime 3? We saw the trailer right?

Print