Poll

Retro or modern?

Old-School Is Where It's At!
13 (50%)
New-School Is Da Nu Skool.
1 (3.8%)
Why Can't We Shut Up and Be Friends? (Both)
12 (46.2%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Print

Author Topic: Retro or Modern Games?  (Read 5668 times)

« on: February 12, 2006, 02:45:48 PM »
Which is better? Retro or modern games? I personally like Old-Games, since percise jumping and challenging levels were better then the graphic-heavy games that rule over the gamestands.
Most Wishy-Washy

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 05:45:49 PM »
Neither is better than the other, but I do prefer Old school games. They felt more challenging and not as short as today's games do. Plus they remind me of when I was young and when corporations weren't as heartless as they are today.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 06:06:55 PM »
I think old school games are better because the seemed more challenging. Also, there was much more originality then; most of today's games seem to be RPGs and shooters. They also seem to focus more on graphics than anything else.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 07:21:34 PM »
Everybody knows that Old-School will win. So I don't see why we need to vote.

I know the answer to several polls even before they start.

Like this. I knew SMA3 would win so I don't see why the topic was made.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 07:23:52 PM by Aarom11 »

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 07:43:30 PM »
I voted old. Older games had more gameplay value on single player mode, and I usually am alone. But I'm not going to call you a n00b for voting new games as Yoshi55 would.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2006, 07:52:08 PM »
Everybody knows that Old-School will win. So I don't see why we need to vote.

I know the answer to several polls even before they start.

Like this. I knew SMA3 would win so I don't see why the topic was made.

I think the polls are for an official count. And because they're neat.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006, 08:05:11 PM »
I've noticed that Nintendo has been concentrating a lot on retro gameplay.

Anyway, I like both, so I won't vote. Or you can edit it and make a "Both" choice.

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2006, 08:21:01 PM »
There are too many of my favorite games that are retro that outweigh the current games I like. Games like Super Mario All Stars, Mario 64, the Donkey Kong Country series, Link to the Past, and even non-Nintendo games like Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles. Though there are quite a few games I like now like Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, there are just too many old games I love. I'm talking about when games were game, ye young whipper snappers! Er...ignore that last part.

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2006, 08:22:47 PM »
Ha! That's a pretty good saying for retro gamers.

Jake

• Mr. Manure
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 08:48:25 AM »
Hmm, this is a controversial choice for me. I mean,. there are plenty of oldschool games I love, like SuperMario World, the DKC series, Sonic 3 & Knucles, Dynamite Headdy, etc, but new school has Banjo-Kazooie, SM64 (I count them as new school, since there both 3D platformers), GbtG, Halo and it's sequal, Metroid Prime, Shadow of the Collossus, etc. Well, since I certainly don't want to say "Gamecube is better than NES", I guess I'll pick oldschool
Professional Paisano here

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 10:32:09 AM »
Lemme just say that old school is cool any day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I see poop.

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 10:52:45 AM »
EDITED!!
Most Wishy-Washy

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2006, 01:47:33 PM »
Guess which one I picked.
every

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2006, 08:52:36 PM »
You know what I don't like about those both/niether/neutral options? They feel like such a cop out. Just pick a side even if you don't feel strongly about it.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2006, 09:58:50 PM »
And we're not even "arguing." It's opinion, and I haven't seen any opinion flames here for a while.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Jake

• Mr. Manure
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2006, 09:30:49 AM »
Darn, I would have chosen "Why can't we shut up and be friends" if it was there at the time. Oh well.
Professional Paisano here

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2006, 02:49:26 PM »
I chose both, b/c there are many retro games that I like (Super Mario Bros) as well as Modern (Super Mario 64). Those two are just examples.. I could list them all (and reasons why) but that is for another topic.. ;)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2006, 05:11:27 PM »
You do know you can remove your votes right?

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2006, 08:35:47 AM »
"Why can't we shut up and be friends (both)"  I have fond chilhdhood memories playing Super Mario World, LoZ: A Link to the Past ties with Ocarina of Time as one of my favorite Zelda games.  Mario adapted to 3-D marvelously with Super Mario 64, and I enjoy Super Mario Sunshine.  LoZ: Twilight Princess is looking really great so far, SSB is one of the best fighting franchises, I enjoyed the original Legend of Zelda, Link's Awakening was fun too.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2006, 09:15:12 PM »
EDITED the New-School option to Nu-sKooL standards.
Most Wishy-Washy

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2006, 12:13:35 PM »
What's the difference?
every

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2006, 10:14:00 AM »
It shows that passing english is not cool.

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2006, 03:04:27 PM »
i just think "Nu-Skool' is better than "New-School".
Most Wishy-Washy

Print