Print

Author Topic: Dance Dance Revolution!  (Read 4771 times)

« on: April 09, 2006, 07:52:20 PM »
This game rules.

Sadly, the only copy of any DDR game I own is the Mario Mix for the GameCube, which I find rather simpe, even on the hardest difficulty level. I'm hoping to pick up a copy of any DDR game for my Xbox soon.

Well, discuss your opinions on this game!
Alas! I have returned. (3/22/07)

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 08:15:13 PM »
Get Ultramix 3 first.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 08:49:28 PM »
The first two Ultramixes are not very good at all, for DDR standards. I've not played UM3... so it might be better.

I'm more an Extreme JP / Max 2 player, myself... although my true calling for dancing sims is In the Groove.

1) They can actually make HARD charts. Judging from what I've seen of Supernova, Konami's solution to increase the difficulty is to spit out a bunch of idioticly hard (I'm looking at you, Fascination MaxX) charts that don't really go to anything, make a bunch of easy charts (I'm looking at you, Mugen) and slap a "10" on them, or make more Oni courses, which I don't like because forced 1x is completely stupid. I don't even play the Max songs on 1x. And a boatload of 8s and 7s don't help, because perfect attack is NOT fun. Also, DDR has a tendency to "dumb down" stepcharts and give them rhythms that make no sense (eighth note stream syndrome). ITG is guilty of this at times, too, but it's not nearly as bad in my opinion.

2) I like ITG's noteskins much better. DDR's default skin, to me, is no better than flat (forced default noteskin is what kills me on Extra Stage). So I have to play Solo, which gets bad when the background switches to blue or red and all the arrows blend into the background.

3) ITG has a more diverse and enjoyable selection of music. DDR strikes me as having too much J-Pop and techno. I like techno, but come on. Naoki made like 80% of the songs on DDR. ITG has some songs that aren't really thought of as "dance sim" songs that I still like; sythesized instrumental music (Anything by Dust Devil, and Tell), Happy Hardcore (Smiley -- while I admit DDR also has some of this, I like Smiley better for some reason -- and yes, I know that Smiley is the same person as like 6 of the artists on ITG), and a few genres I can't describe that I like (Anubis/Banzai, most songs by Inspector K... etc. ... Yes, I know those two are BOTH the same person as Smiley).

4) HANDS. Hand charts are fun. Rolls are fun, too, when used right.

5) Built-in custom step-chart support. Not sure if DDR has this, but ITG's USB support allows you to load your own custom simfiles on an arcade machine and play them.

So... ya. That's my personal dance sim experience.
~I.S.~

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 08:58:18 PM »
I love eighth note streams.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 10:48:17 PM »
I'm only a novice DDR player.  I have played several DDRs in arcades, but only own DDR Extreme for the PS2 and Mario MIx for the GCN (of course).  I like Extreme's inclusion of nondance/rock songs, and Mario Mix's Mario tunes and the mode with the Koopas, Bullet Bills, etc. (forgot what the modes called). 

I don't own an Xbox.  What titles do you DDR freaks (I'm looking at you LD) recommend for the PS2?  (The other dance games I've seen for the GCN look terrible.)
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 01:58:59 AM »
Well for PS2 there exists Max, Max 2, Extreme, Extreme 2.

If you like nondance/rock songs, probably head towards Extreme 2, as the Maxes are more classic DDR-type songs.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 09:13:46 AM »
I was already think about Extreme 2.  Thanks.  Do any of the other PS2 titles have interactive games or EyeToy support like the Extreme series?
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 12:33:06 PM »
Nope, well, Karaoke Revolution Party lets you scan your head in with the EyeToy and also dance while you sing.

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 05:20:29 PM »
For those of you who do play, just out of curiousity, what difficulty level do you play on? When it comes to DDR:MM, I play always on Super Hard.

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 05:31:35 PM »
Heavy/Ultra Hard/Oni

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 06:01:43 PM »
Expert, mostly. (Ok, Heavy on DDR -- I don't play Oni courses much.)

Hard on some songs -- I can pass all but three 11s and three of the 12s. No 13s yet, though.

I got my hands on the simfiles for DDR Mario Mix -- I liked the music, but the charts were absolutely horrible. I may re-step some of them in Stepmania when I have the free time.

Out of curiousity, LD, can you pass Paranoia Survivor Max Oni? Only DDR song I can't do (Thanks, crossovers).
~I.S.~

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2006, 06:55:25 PM »
I don't know if I've ever tried. What mix is it on?

You seem to be way more hardcore into the theory and stuff than I am. I just dance to songs.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2006, 07:43:52 PM »
That's just because I have a results-oriented mind.

I think PSMO is on Extreme JP. Easily the hardest simfile on any currently released DDR mix.
~I.S.~

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2006, 08:43:50 PM »
Get Ultramix 3 first.

I'm not very good, though. I can pass hard Standards and easy Hards.

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2006, 11:51:15 PM »
Is it on the arcade Extreme?

I only have one friend with Extreme JP (PS2) and I don't play it that much and I don't believe I've tried PSMO.

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2006, 12:03:04 AM »
Consider Stepmania for the PC.  It's an open source DDR clone, so it's free.  It doesn't have quite the polish of most commercial DDR games, but it lets you create your own dances from mp3s.  I'm not sure if you can do that in commercial DDR games for XBox or not.  I've made several dances from video game tunes from vgmusic.com (I prefer to use midis converted to mp3s, since they have more consistent beat rates).

The hard part is finding a PC-compatible dance pad.  Your best bet in this regard is to buy a PS2 dance pad and buy a PS2-to-USB converter.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 12:25:25 AM by Hirocon »

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2006, 12:20:41 AM »
Heh, I have a LOT of experience with Stepmania.

Extreme JP is, indeed, arcade Extreme. It should have Paranoia Survivor Max on it. Speed-wise, think Max song with crossovers.
~I.S.~

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2006, 01:46:18 AM »
Extreme JP and arcade Extreme have some differences. Like the PS2 has no Witch Doctor :( :( :( :(

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2006, 03:22:29 AM »
I just downloaded StepMania last night, and I must say it's pretty cool. I need to sign up for Bemanistyle, though, so I'll have access to many more songs.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2006, 10:53:16 AM »
That reminds me.

I need to throw my simfiles up here. I only have 2 on Bemanistyle (and one is terrible for pad, it was my first ever simfile. I've re-made the steps to be more paddable now but never re-uploaded them), and the only reason I've never uploaded the rest is because I'm terrible at making banners and backgrounds. I have about a dozen complete (beginner-heavy/oni) simfiles that only need backgrounds and banners.
~I.S.~

Print