Print

Author Topic: Pause  (Read 11016 times)

« on: April 18, 2006, 09:43:05 PM »

This topic is all about the video game phenomenon known as "pause".  Here we can discuss any thoughts relating to "pause", but I will provide some starting points.  Please help yourself:

• What's the longest you've ever left a game paused?
  • What's your favorite pause screen or sound effect?  Why?
  • Have you ever lied to your mom about being unable to pause?
  • If you added up all the pauses you've ever done, how much of your life has been spent in pause mode?

If leaving my DS in sleep mode counts as pausing, my record is two days.  Otherwise, I've been known to keep my Super Nintendo paused for several hours to go out for ice cream or a bike ride.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 09:51:54 PM »
Pausing for too long severly bothers me, I'd rather lose some data and shut off a system before leaving it on while paused for hours.

The best pause I've ever seen is SSBM. Being able to move the camera and focus in and out on all players is great. This way, while you are out getting a drink, your friends aren't tempted to unpause the game and kill your uncontrolled character. Really great.

Was anyone else bothered by not being able to pause Mortal Kombat?

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 09:59:52 PM »
Three days on Super Mario Sunshine... o_O

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 10:18:56 PM »
Lately, I've come to realize the error of my pausing ways and have begun using the Start button more responsibly--just so you don't think I'm some kind of pausing psycho like Khold.  Sleep mode is a different story, though.  It's not nearly as taxing for the system.

And I am usually bothered by any game that has no pause function--but I can't think of any off the top of my head, and I never played much Mortal Kombat.

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 10:43:41 PM »
I told my mom that I couldn't pause on PP:TTYD so that I could stay on for an extra 5 minutes. At another time, I paused Paper Mario: The thousand year door for about 6 hours and was scared all the time about if it got turned off. And I left legend of Zelda: The wind waker on for 3 days, because at the time we didn't have a memory card and my brother, after 3 days, turned the game off and now I have to go to that island with the bird things again.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 11:37:32 PM »
When I downloaded the Electroplankton demo at E3, I kept it on my DS via sleep for about a week. Watoad had the Meteos demo for a long, long time the same way.

I really like pausing in Viewtiful Joe. The director says a unique thing on each level, and I really like his voice.

What bugs me is games where the game time still goes up while paused. You aren't doing anything, you don't have the capability to do anything, and you probably aren't even there.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 08:26:28 AM »
In Bionic Commando, pausing actually gave you a strategic edge; it was a map.
every

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 08:41:27 AM »
When I was a youngin' I used to pause a game for only one reason: that is, to eat. NOw this may seem foolish, yet when I was a tiny guy, my grandma wouldn't have it if I played through dinner. So, I would always pause SMB3. I never usually pause games anymore. But I remember my Grandma saying one thing.... DONT PAUSE IT TOO LONG, OR IT WILL BE BURNED INTO THE TV. I thought, what better, Mario permanently etched into my grandma's TV, SWEET!
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

TEM

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 09:01:11 AM »
My friends left Star Wars Episode II (the movie DVD) paused for too long and now there's a purple shadow of Mace Windu's lightsaber stuck on there.

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 12:42:28 PM »
My big brother told me that if I didn't turn off the playstation 2, it would get burned into the screen. My mom would kill me if it did.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 01:55:45 PM »
On Halo 2 multiplayer, there was no pause. You press START, and it'll bring up a bunch of menus, but the game won't pause, and your character will still be able get hit.

It wasn't pausing for two reasons,
if one character paused in a game, every would have paused.
It would have been cheating to not get hit when paused. People could just go through a whole game in pause. They would still win.

The longest i ever had any system on was for 6 hours. The n64, and Mario Party 1 was on.

I do keep games on of when i eat, read, or when i can do something really quickly and come back. The TV gets turned off though.
Most Wishy-Washy

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2006, 02:34:41 PM »
The TV gets turned off though.

Exactly.  I don't know why people are fretting so much about burn-in when you can just turn off the TV.  Though, I do admit Koopaslaya's grandma is smarter than the average bear in that she even knows what burn-in is.  Hooray for grandmas!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2006, 04:46:54 PM »
Whenever I pause a game to eat, I turn the TV off.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2006, 05:39:37 PM »
I also think that the pause feature in SSBM is pretty nifty. I like pausing in cool positions, such as dodging a kick or something.
Alas! I have returned. (3/22/07)

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2006, 06:00:44 PM »
Yeah! You gotta love the SSBM pause. But I can't find out how to exit the game from the pause menu if it's not on training. I have to press the restart button. This makes me think: Wouldn't it be cool if the TV burned in a cool screenshot from SSBM on your TV, the one you didn't use?

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2006, 06:06:58 PM »
I'd love to try that, but the only TV with the right ports that we never use developed bad picture quality over time. :(
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2006, 11:45:23 PM »
Oh wow, that would be pretty cool, pt_peach. (so cool, in fact, that it actually inspired me to post. :D )

I just might try that one day once I get around to it.  Thanks for the awesome idea.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 11:48:33 PM by Unlimited Lumpia »
lumpia (LOOM'·pee·ah") n.
A Filipino variation of the egg roll. It consists of more meat, less vegetable and is generally better tasting. :p

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2006, 11:17:49 AM »
I like it when the background music still plays while paused.
That was a joke.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2006, 12:25:52 PM »
BUt, I rather like the "dingo-dingo" noise that SMB makes.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2006, 01:36:59 PM »
Yeah! You gotta love the SSBM pause. But I can't find out how to exit the game from the pause menu if it's not on training. I have to press the restart button. This makes me think: Wouldn't it be cool if the TV burned in a cool screenshot from SSBM on your TV, the one you didn't use?

Oh gosh.
Hold L+R+B+X or something like that.
You'll go out.
Most Wishy-Washy

TEM

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2006, 02:19:51 PM »
It says in the lower right hand corner.

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2006, 02:25:06 PM »
Yeah.
That too.

You'd have to be pretty oblivious not to notice that.
Most Wishy-Washy

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2006, 03:11:28 PM »
I think reseting in SSBM is L+R+A+start.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2006, 04:49:29 PM »
So thats why thats combination is down there. Gosh, how stupid am I? I feel extreamly dumb right now.

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2006, 09:51:35 PM »
Pausing in Super Smash Bros. was always fun for my friends and I... up until Shot of Captain Falcon Posing Number 376. I get annoyed by games that lack pausing functions, as well as the ability to save, especially at any point in the game. That's what gets me in the most trouble, not being able to stop because I can't save until later.

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2006, 08:31:52 AM »
My longest pause...isn't really a pause, but I left my Animal Crossing: Wild World game on in my DS for 6 hours (11pm-5am) while my DS was recharging.
Werid Fortune Cookies- Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2006, 10:15:00 AM »
I used to leave games on Pause for long periods of time because they never saved how many lives you collected.Take Donkey Kong Country, for example.I would get 40-50 lives per game, but if I turned it off, I'd only have 5 when I resumed playing.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2006, 11:17:43 PM »
I get annoyed by games that lack pausing functions, as well as the ability to save, especially at any point in the game. That's what gets me in the most trouble, not being able to stop because I can't save until later.

But that's what makes games WAY TOO EASY these days. There's no challenge if you can just get up and save whenever you feel like it.
That was a joke.

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2006, 11:21:22 PM »
True, but at least you have the choice. I choose saving right were I am and having an easier game over having more of a challenge and getting busted for being in front of the TV for too long at one time, which would mean no TV in the future for a given amount of time. If you don't want to save where you are, you don't have to. Better than being forced to wait, I say.

TEM

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2006, 11:54:22 PM »
Maybe this is a sign that you aren't "ready" for certain videogames.

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2006, 11:58:27 PM »
And I am usually bothered by any game that has no pause function--but I can't think of any off the top of my head, and I never played much Mortal Kombat.

The Original Punch Out for NES had no pause to my knowledge.  The start button was used as a game button, letting you perform a super punch, and I don't believe the select button was used.

I couldn't really say what my longest pause was, though once I left SimCity 4 running unattended (NOT paused) overnight for about 7 hours while I slept.  I did it to get money... I had nothing but roads built yet and I was earning $100/month for legalizing gambling.  In the morning my city had ridiculous wealth.

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2006, 01:34:08 AM »
Of course!  I'm very familiar with Punch-Out!!'s lack of a pause function... I've gotta admit, though:  It does make the fight a lot more intense.  And with such quick rounds, I don't think I can hold that against it.
But that's what makes games WAY TOO EASY these days. There's no challenge if you can just get up and save whenever you feel like it.
It depends on the type of game, I'd say.

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2006, 02:13:02 AM »
Games with savepoints but also a quicksave that auto-deletes when you resume it have it about right.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2006, 08:44:25 AM »
^ Sounds like Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories, which I still havent beaten.

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2006, 12:13:47 PM »
Games with savepoints but also a quicksave that auto-deletes when you resume it have it about right.

Yeah, that's a good system. Anything like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is good for me, where you can save during a battle and the data is lost when you pick it up again later.

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2006, 01:49:59 PM »

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2006, 03:49:53 PM »
Another good one on that site: http://pressstarttoplay.net/comic.php?cid=45

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2006, 04:03:44 PM »
Oh yeah, I should have thought of that. :D

TEM

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2006, 07:09:50 PM »
Both of those are great. My friend's little brother used to have a problem with SSBM as depicted in the first comic; we solved that problem as depicted in the end of that comic.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2006, 07:51:35 PM »
That pause function should have been applied to camera mode. It's much easier to capture funny or interesting scenes that way.

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2006, 08:09:21 PM »
That pause function should have been applied to camera mode. It's much easier to capture funny or interesting scenes that way.

But you CAN pause in camera mode.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2006, 08:34:09 PM »
Yes, but you can only take the photos using the 4th controller while the game is unpaused.

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2006, 10:12:06 PM »

Some games certainly can have a good bit of challenge even when you can save any time. Take Donkey Kong 64, for instance. That game is quite difficult to get 101% completion in (though it's still enormously fun in my opinion), but you can save at any time you like, and I think it saves automatically every time you get a Golden Banana. What makes this game difficult is the puzzles, which sometimes take a lot of time to figure out, and in its case saving is basically just a way of preventing unnecessary loss of data. One time I was playing the game and the power went out for a moment; I was horrified because I thought I would have to do a big bunch of stuff over again. But to my great joy it turned out that I hadn't really lost anything (except maybe a few coins or something). The frequent saving saved me from a bunch of very unnecessary replaying.

In short, DK64 is an example of a game in which saving doesn't make the gameplay too easy.
GEIANDGIRLCO DIRECT - The Sensitive Alternative

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2006, 12:30:46 AM »
You can save any time in Donkey Kong 64, but it only saves your play time, number of bannanas, etc., not your exact location and situation within the game.  Some games let you save anywhere, even in the middle of a boss battle, letting you come back as often as you like to that exact moment within the battle.  This sort of saving can easily be abused.

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2006, 12:35:15 AM »
Console games pretty much never have that type of saving. PC games usually always do.

« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2006, 02:53:40 PM »
When I didn't own a memory card, and had to have Luigi's Mansion paused overnight so I can continue where I left off, at the start of Area 4 (I had already gotten Game Over several times and didn't want another one... >_<).

« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2006, 07:29:10 PM »
You can save any time in Donkey Kong 64, but it only saves your play time, number of bannanas, etc., not your exact location and situation within the game.  Some games let you save anywhere, even in the middle of a boss battle, letting you come back as often as you like to that exact moment within the battle.  This sort of saving can easily be abused.

Well, you know, it's not like it's hard at all to get back to most areas in DK64. Most of the challenge lies in the puzzles, where in most cases it would be pointless to save in a particular spot even if that were possible. But yeah, you're right about those games you mentioned; saving in any spot in a game would be too easy in nearly all cases. But I don't play computer games (except a few online ones), so I wouldn't have even known about that type of game.

Come to think of it, though, in Wario Land II for GBC it is possible to save in any spot, though this might just be a quicksave (I can't recall with certainty). But again, I doubt the game becomes excessively easy because of it, since the game is fairly puzzle-oriented and has lots of secrets to find.
GEIANDGIRLCO DIRECT - The Sensitive Alternative

Print