Print

Author Topic: Who cares about game ratings?  (Read 19202 times)

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« on: May 20, 2006, 08:31:04 AM »
do ya'll guys care about the ratings ESRB gives to games? me niether, I just play the games carelessly. What are ya'lls opinions about game ratings?
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 09:13:08 AM »
I don't really care about the ratings.  Wait!  I kind of do.  I would never play a game that was rated C for early childhood.  Nor would I play anything rated A for adult since I am for from being one.  I hardly ever play M rated games, but I still play them because I think that I am mature enough not to go around shooting people for fun and think that I will not get caught!
"If you want to make enemies, try to change something."--Woodrow Wilson

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 11:38:29 AM »
Who cares about game ratings? Parents should. I don't know if the majority of them even pay attention to them, or know what they mean (unless they are gamers themselves).

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 11:49:51 AM »
Parents should pay attention to them as well as their children. If they know their children are mature enough to play a game that has an M rating, I don't think there'd be much of a problem.

Personally, the only games I get have an E or T rating. This is just a coincidence, though, as I have played (as well as enjoyed) a number of games with an M rating.

That, and I can purchase games with an M rating as I am over the age suggestion. :P
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2006, 12:42:46 PM »
I don't really care about the rating, but the game. See, I wouldn't play Care Bears Deluxe if it were rated T, would I? But if SSBB was rated M, I'd still buy it. I wouldn't be able to go buy it by myself for 4 years, but I'd still get it.
It's very rare that a game is rated eC (isn't it?), but when it is it's not a game that would come off of shelves very often, you know what I mean?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 12:48:59 PM »
Yes, the game ratings are very important. For children, it gives them a chance to live out their childhood. For adults, it gives them a chance to pick a game without buying something like Grand Theft Elmo: Sesame Street.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2006, 01:12:11 PM »
The only thing I don't like is that the descriptors on the back are sometimes kind of like spoilers. I don't look at them anymore. Heck, I pretty much don't even look at the rating anymore.

Random fact: I think Diablo was the first M-rated game I ever got.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2006, 01:39:15 PM »
I agree, I think ESRB should stop gaiving ratings to games because no one pays attention to them.

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2006, 01:58:17 PM »
No way, the ESRB is what's managed to keep the government out of regulating game content (since the industry is doing it itself). Ratings are a Good Thing. I just don't pay any attention to them because I'm
A) 21 years old
B) Not a parent

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2006, 02:06:28 PM »
Pssst! The goverment, what have they done for us?!

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2006, 02:42:47 PM »
I don't care about ratings when buying games for myself, but if I were to buy a game for a child I would care.

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2006, 03:27:09 PM »
Who cares about game ratings?

Jack Thompson and crazed soccer moms, and it's not just limited to video games. TV, movies, music cd's, everything has a rating so companies don't have some irresponsible parent sending in angry letters because their kid heard some sex joke or toned down profanity. Because of all this, it pretty much ruins things for all of us.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2006, 07:08:29 PM »
we might not be able to play M rated games. because hillary clinton has returned from hell!

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2006, 07:43:02 PM »
Game ratings haven't really "ruined anything" for me.

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2006, 08:19:49 PM »
Honestly, I don't even look at what the ratings are on my games.  I know if I can handle something or not (or if I even want to).
Maybe there is more to me than there is to me...

Print