Poll

As is, are you for or against the Nintendo Health and Safety disclaimer?

For it.
Against it.
Print

Author Topic: WARNING - HEALTH AND SAFETY  (Read 12501 times)

« on: May 21, 2006, 09:48:16 AM »
BEFORE POSTING, READ THE FUNGI
FORUMS PRECAUTIONS BLURB
FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION
ABOUT YOUR FUNGI AND FORUMS

TO GET AN EXTRA COPY FOR YOUR PET CAT, GO ONLINE AT
http://www.themushroomkingdom.net/board.shtml

Scroll the Mouse Wheel to continue

If you've played any Nintendo games from the past couple of years, chances are you've seen something like the above.  What are your thoughts on it?  You are allowed to retract your vote, because it's easy to be hasty.  Here are some things to think about:

• What if the warning screen has actually saved lives?
  • If you add up all the time it's wasted--millions of people having to wait through that screen, many, many times--and it turns out to be more than a lifetime multiplied by the number of lives saved, does that defeat the purpose?
  • Every Nintendo game is supposed to have the warning screen from now on.  I think it's built into the Wii, like it is with DS.  Shouldn't we be able to turn it off?
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 10:11:13 AM »
My guess is, on console games at least, the disclaimer shows while games are loading so it doesn't waste any time.  Load times for Nintendo games are relatively low on average anyway, so it's forgiveable.

Besides, the real purpose of the disclaimers is to keep Nintendo from getting sued.  So be it.  Anything to keep the Big N making games.

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 10:53:54 AM »
Against it. Everyone who plays should already know.

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 01:29:15 PM »
Wait...what exactly the safety thing for. I want to be sure.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 01:39:34 PM »
Certain people have a condition that gives them seizures with the screen movement and such.

It's fine by me, but let's compare. For PMTTYD for example, it takes too long, what with all the stuff before you can pick a file and play. But look at the DS, it's built in to happen at the same time as the logo. That's much better. An option to turn it off would be nice, but don't delete it entirely. you never know, it may have saved lives. No one takes time to read the manual, but if it appears in front of you every day you can't miss it. Leave it built in with an option to turn it off.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 01:41:32 PM »
Well I think it's ok to put it up, because I didn't what the heck it was for. I COULD'VE HAD A SEIZURE!

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 01:51:35 PM »
no one realy gets seizures from a video game. and if they do then they would of known bfore (like mentioned earlier)

there are so many greedy people in this world looking for lawsuits. that warning says "we warned you its your fault you had a seizure, dont sue us"

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2006, 01:54:31 PM »
Uhhh...I think that it only takes up a few seconds of your time, and is not a big deal.  I mean, so what if you have to wait a little longer.  It makes you anxious for the game, and lets you appreciate it more(?)
Maybe there is more to me than there is to me...

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2006, 02:01:58 PM »
Against it. Everyone who plays should already know.

Just because people SHOULD know doesn't mean they do. You are HIGHLY underestimating the amount of stupidity the human race can exhibit.

I mean, coffee is hot. Common sense, right? Didn't stop someone from suing McDonald's after it spilled on his (her?) lap.

I'm for it because America is sue-happy.
~I.S.~

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2006, 02:23:03 PM »
Nintendo would get their living flesh sued off (Sorry if that seemed a little inappropriate.) if they took it off Health & Safety, so I'm for it, these days people sue on everything when they say the never got warning.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 02:36:25 PM by Bigluigifan1.0 »
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2006, 02:27:55 PM »
  • If you add up all the time it's wasted--millions of people having to wait through that screen, many, many times--and it turns out to be more than a lifetime multiplied by the number of lives saved, does that defeat the purpose?

No, because I'm sure everyone would willingly donate a few minutes/hours of their life to save someone else's life. However, I really liked the question (and the whole post in general).

I voted against. I doubt any lives have actually been saved so far. I figure the only people who might be affected don't know that they could be affected, because they've never had a seizure yet. The ones who know about their problem probably avoid flashing TVs like the plague. And yes, you should be able to turn it off on your own system.

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2006, 04:12:58 PM »
i realy dont mind waiting.

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2006, 04:14:22 PM »
One reason they post the Health and Safety for the games................you never know what kind of jerk would do something so incredibly stupid, and then blame Nintendo for it until it actually happens. Sure, it's pathetic; people today have no morality. But heck, I wouldn't want to get sued. So yeah, I don't like it. Not one bit. But it keeps the lawyer away.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2006, 04:25:22 PM »
I am for it, but think it should only appear when a file is created for a single player game.

(My keyboard is screwy.  The single quote pulls up the find menu and the back arrow is not working.  I think it is time to change the batteries.)
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2006, 05:24:33 PM »
The warnings appear so briefly that I don't even see why this is a subject of debate.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2006, 07:02:37 PM »
I wish there were a "I don't care" option for the vote.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2006, 08:27:32 PM »
There are a lot of good thoughts so far.  Clearly, this isn't a black and white issue, and that's what I had hoped.  Anyway, I voted against--basically with the same reasoning as Lizard Dude's.  In addition, I don't find Insane Steve's reasoning fair:  Two wrongs don't make a right.  Through it all, The Blue Toad is totally mellow, and I like that too.

In a few years, people might not even remember when Nintendo games didn't have that warning screen.  And even though I seem to recall a lot of people disappointed with the new policy, time heals everything.  They'll forget, and it will be taken for granted--kind of like the opening credits of a movie.  If you ever watch classic movies in black and white, they usually jump right into the first scene.  That changed with the MPAA or Screen Actors' Guild or something...

I wish there were a "I don't care" option for the vote.
You're probably right, and I could change it, but it's more fun when you have to pick one or the other (or choose not to pick at all)!

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2006, 08:45:37 PM »
I would've rather voted for "I don't care", but I chose against.

Seriously, why can't people just READ THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL before playing the game? It comes with each game for a reason!

And not just for that warning, little things in general that can be easily missed (or, hard to miss, depending on the gamer's intelligence). Go to the GameFAQs message board and you'll see what I mean.

"uh i dunno how to make this happen hwo do i mke it hppn"
"...I dunno, did you read the manual? It explains stuff like this and came with the game, you should have read it."
"that little book thing? i threw it away and strtd playin the game the mnual is usless"
"..."

Seriously, I've had that discussion NUMEROUS times there. I was chased out of that place many a time because I lost my temper trying to explain that the manual should be read before even THINKING of playing the game.

For example, from The Sims:

"why is water coming out of the dishwasher every time it is being used"
"...I know the answer to this question! LOOK IN THE MANUAL, IDIOT."
"Im tired of you tellinme to look at the manual its useless it doesnt say"
"YES IT DOES! I'VE READ IT MYSELF TO KNOW THAT IT DOES! It's common sense, anyway. If water is leaking out, it must be broken. Fix it. There. Retard."

Seriously, the amount of idiots there exceeds the amount of people in this country. Avoid that place at all costs.

Anyway, I say take it off, and if children get seizures, it's not Nintendo's fault, it's their own (or their parents').
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2006, 09:01:08 PM »
I can't wait to see what they have to add to Wii games for arm injuries and such.

"By signing on the line below with the Wii Remote, you agree to the terms presented in the previous nine screens."

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2006, 10:03:13 PM »
Thank you, good sir.  I have just burned a Big Mac's worth of calories by laughing.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2006, 04:37:38 PM »
I agree that safety is important and who really cares. This is a five second screen that all you have to do is hit A. It's not like you have to read and accept a whole friggin' contract. It also shows that Nintendo cares about it's consumer's health, you don't see Sony or microsoft saying something like that.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2006, 08:09:13 PM »
Are you sure?

Anyway, I did turn it off on my DS.
That was a joke.

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2006, 09:00:14 PM »
HAX!1

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2006, 06:46:30 AM »
Are you sure?

Anyway, I did turn it off on my DS.
That's easy. Just change the start-up mode from manual to auto...

The warning screen isn't a big deal, but I wish there was an option to turn it off.
"Noooo! My life's treasure! I would rather die than give up my life size Peach poster!"
-Some Koopa in Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2006, 01:32:09 PM »
Auto-mode takes away the warning?

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2006, 01:45:18 PM »
No, I tried

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2006, 04:45:30 PM »
This is it sumed up:

Stop every couple hours and have a snack break

Don't get the console or games wet

Play at least 3 feet away from the screen unless it's really small

Headaches and dizzyness may occur if the room is pitch black and you've been playing for over 4 hours

Don't yank out any cords quickly, or press the ON button repediatly

People who are epileptic could get seizures from playing ( ask your parents )

Get a job
Senior Mariology professor

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2006, 04:06:44 PM »
No, LD is right. HAX!1
That was a joke.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2006, 09:34:49 PM »
I'm fine with it, since I hardly notice it.

Vidgmchtr, I know how you feel. I find myself constantly berating my friends about them not reading the manual. After they ask me about something, my conversation usually goes like this:

Me: "Well, did you read the manual?"
Friend: "No, I thought I'd figure it out as I played."
Me: "But you should read the manual. That's what it's for."
Friend: "Yeah, well..."
Me: "..."

Read the manual. It's there for a reason.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 09:36:33 PM by MaxVance »
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2006, 03:40:56 PM »
If you want to hide something you value, put it in a instruction manual. No one will ever find it.

« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2006, 08:57:43 PM »
In truth people that prone to seizures could have them while watching tv in the dark. Now don't get me wrong, Im okay with the warning, but its only there to prevent Nintendo from getting sued. Does everyone remember that news story about the episode of pokemon aired in Japan causing all of those seizures? Anyway, if it really bugs you that much, pull out a paper-clip, buy a passme, and a gbamp, and go flash your DS. (I haven't seen that warning on the DS in a few months actually)
I come bearing a gift. I'll give you a hint. It's in my diaper and it's not a toaster.

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2006, 08:43:21 AM »
You can start the game instantly without the disclaimer in DS as far as I know.

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2006, 05:20:26 PM »
maybe it's subliminal messages telling you to by nintendo games! did you ever put a tape recorder on the sound and pics with a vcr or tape recorder?
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2006, 08:03:58 PM »
I don't mind the warning because Nintendo is merely taking precautions, but I would like the option to turn the warning off.  I've been exposed to TV, computers, and flashing lights many times, and I've never had a seizure.  There's a window right by my computer desk, so whenever I'm on it for a long period of time, I look out that window once in a while to avoid eye strain.  I'd rather vote "I don't care".  I'm not going to vote because "I don't care" isn't an option.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2006, 08:07:20 PM »
it bothers me more than being stung by a bumbershoot on a gravy day.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2006, 08:30:48 AM »
What the dukar!? Your posts make no sense.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2006, 09:20:49 AM »
At least that one's on topic. More than can be said for a lot of his posts.
~I.S.~

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2006, 09:24:14 AM »
those health warnings can get annoying it's almost like the game has to load another screen.

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2006, 12:35:18 PM »
Almost?
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2006, 03:37:17 PM »
It doesn't even take that long to load and it's in the very beginning. So that's a dumb excuse, Fairemaster.

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2006, 10:23:59 AM »
The warnings appear so briefly that I don't even see why this is a subject of debate.

i agree plus they save lives.

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2006, 06:17:26 AM »
I voted for it because it is a good thing to have a message to warn about what can happen. I think the biggest reason it's there is to prevent video game related lawsuits, you know, the one where a mother is suing Nintendo because her son had a seizure from playing Super Mario Strikers. The screen would clearly show that if you have health problems,...seizures. Lawsuit over.
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2006, 07:17:36 PM »
Random fact:

Prolonged exposure to the Nintendo DS touch screen may result in a higher risk of getting cancer.

Scary, isn't it? All that was taken from the DS manual.
"MY FAVORITE PART WAS WHEN RICK ASTLEY SAID HE'D NEVER LET ME DOWN" - Cosbydaf

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2006, 03:21:13 AM »
Then put your DS in a box Ziploc freezer bags doubled, tripled, quadrupled etc. over each other, seal it up tight with thirty-four rolls of duct tape. Turn the DS around so the Ziploc logos don't block your view, and play. Bam, safety like magic.
Yes, yes, sorry about that.
It's YOUR problem!

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2006, 06:55:52 AM »
Random fact:

Most odd cancer warnings are hoaxes.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2006, 01:06:15 PM »
I wonder what they mean by 'prolonged'. I never play my DS for more than 30 minutes at a time.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2006, 01:59:44 PM »
Uhhh, what games do you have that are so boring that you wouldn't spend hours playing? Go buy NSMB!
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2006, 04:02:06 PM »
1. I have it.
2. I like to take short breaks in between my 30 minute sessions.

« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2006, 07:06:23 AM »
Random fact:
Prolonged exposure to the Nintendo DS touch screen may result in a higher risk of getting cancer.
Scary, isn't it? All that was taken from the DS manual.
I wish I had my GBA manual handy, because I'd like to see if it has the same warning.  If not, perhaps the wireless communication is to blame.  Or mabye the awesome power of two screens burns a tumor straight into your hand.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2006, 09:02:29 PM »
Since the GBA didn't have a touch screen, I doubt the same warning was in its manual.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2006, 12:15:28 PM »
Dude, the manual does not actually say that.

[Editor's Note: Lizard Dude did not actually check any manuals.]

« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2006, 03:10:49 AM »
Since the GBA didn't have a touch screen, I doubt the same warning was in its manual.
Hrm.  Vernacular communication often works out quite logically.  You just have to take the time and work through the kinks (or simply not be a sore thumb).

So, we have "warning".  What is "warning"?  The entirety of the quoted sentence might be the warning under question:
However, there could also be parts within the quote that fulfill the concept of warning on their own.  Apply one of these to the idea expressed in my previous post, and there is no fallacy:
Prolonged exposure may result in a higher risk of getting cancer.
The "touch screen" component in the original quote is secondary.  You can take it out, and--logically--the quote fulfills all the requirements of a warning.  This was the concept referred to in my post.  Vernacular communication gives the benefit of the doubt in situations like these:  We are not robots, and it is given that the active quality of conversation leads to learning for both parties.  The start and the end are given.  They're not even far apart.  All you have to do is learn your way between them.  Understanding people do it automatically without objecting to the pea-sized quantity of work.

I was tempted to go with, "You know what I mean."

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2006, 06:28:00 AM »
Random Fact:

Breathing too much air can increase your risk of getting cancer.

« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2006, 10:21:53 PM »
Random Fact:

75% of people don't listen about facts.

Fiction is so much funner.
Senior Mariology professor

« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2006, 10:43:51 PM »
I looked through the manual. Nothing, even in the Health and Safety booklet, about getting cancer.

« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2006, 02:21:37 AM »
The DS manual?  Maybe CToaN has a DS Lite, though...

Edit:  'Doesn't matter.  I checked:  nothing about cancer.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 02:26:36 AM by DeadAwake »

Print