Poll

As is, are you for or against the Nintendo Health and Safety disclaimer?

For it.
Against it.
Print

Author Topic: WARNING - HEALTH AND SAFETY  (Read 12508 times)

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2006, 07:02:37 PM »
I wish there were a "I don't care" option for the vote.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2006, 08:27:32 PM »
There are a lot of good thoughts so far.  Clearly, this isn't a black and white issue, and that's what I had hoped.  Anyway, I voted against--basically with the same reasoning as Lizard Dude's.  In addition, I don't find Insane Steve's reasoning fair:  Two wrongs don't make a right.  Through it all, The Blue Toad is totally mellow, and I like that too.

In a few years, people might not even remember when Nintendo games didn't have that warning screen.  And even though I seem to recall a lot of people disappointed with the new policy, time heals everything.  They'll forget, and it will be taken for granted--kind of like the opening credits of a movie.  If you ever watch classic movies in black and white, they usually jump right into the first scene.  That changed with the MPAA or Screen Actors' Guild or something...

I wish there were a "I don't care" option for the vote.
You're probably right, and I could change it, but it's more fun when you have to pick one or the other (or choose not to pick at all)!
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2006, 08:45:37 PM »
I would've rather voted for "I don't care", but I chose against.

Seriously, why can't people just READ THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL before playing the game? It comes with each game for a reason!

And not just for that warning, little things in general that can be easily missed (or, hard to miss, depending on the gamer's intelligence). Go to the GameFAQs message board and you'll see what I mean.

"uh i dunno how to make this happen hwo do i mke it hppn"
"...I dunno, did you read the manual? It explains stuff like this and came with the game, you should have read it."
"that little book thing? i threw it away and strtd playin the game the mnual is usless"
"..."

Seriously, I've had that discussion NUMEROUS times there. I was chased out of that place many a time because I lost my temper trying to explain that the manual should be read before even THINKING of playing the game.

For example, from The Sims:

"why is water coming out of the dishwasher every time it is being used"
"...I know the answer to this question! LOOK IN THE MANUAL, IDIOT."
"Im tired of you tellinme to look at the manual its useless it doesnt say"
"YES IT DOES! I'VE READ IT MYSELF TO KNOW THAT IT DOES! It's common sense, anyway. If water is leaking out, it must be broken. Fix it. There. Retard."

Seriously, the amount of idiots there exceeds the amount of people in this country. Avoid that place at all costs.

Anyway, I say take it off, and if children get seizures, it's not Nintendo's fault, it's their own (or their parents').
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2006, 09:01:08 PM »
I can't wait to see what they have to add to Wii games for arm injuries and such.

"By signing on the line below with the Wii Remote, you agree to the terms presented in the previous nine screens."

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2006, 10:03:13 PM »
Thank you, good sir.  I have just burned a Big Mac's worth of calories by laughing.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2006, 04:37:38 PM »
I agree that safety is important and who really cares. This is a five second screen that all you have to do is hit A. It's not like you have to read and accept a whole friggin' contract. It also shows that Nintendo cares about it's consumer's health, you don't see Sony or microsoft saying something like that.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2006, 08:09:13 PM »
Are you sure?

Anyway, I did turn it off on my DS.
That was a joke.

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2006, 09:00:14 PM »
HAX!1

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2006, 06:46:30 AM »
Are you sure?

Anyway, I did turn it off on my DS.
That's easy. Just change the start-up mode from manual to auto...

The warning screen isn't a big deal, but I wish there was an option to turn it off.
"Noooo! My life's treasure! I would rather die than give up my life size Peach poster!"
-Some Koopa in Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2006, 01:32:09 PM »
Auto-mode takes away the warning?

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2006, 01:45:18 PM »
No, I tried

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2006, 04:45:30 PM »
This is it sumed up:

Stop every couple hours and have a snack break

Don't get the console or games wet

Play at least 3 feet away from the screen unless it's really small

Headaches and dizzyness may occur if the room is pitch black and you've been playing for over 4 hours

Don't yank out any cords quickly, or press the ON button repediatly

People who are epileptic could get seizures from playing ( ask your parents )

Get a job
Senior Mariology professor

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2006, 04:06:44 PM »
No, LD is right. HAX!1
That was a joke.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2006, 09:34:49 PM »
I'm fine with it, since I hardly notice it.

Vidgmchtr, I know how you feel. I find myself constantly berating my friends about them not reading the manual. After they ask me about something, my conversation usually goes like this:

Me: "Well, did you read the manual?"
Friend: "No, I thought I'd figure it out as I played."
Me: "But you should read the manual. That's what it's for."
Friend: "Yeah, well..."
Me: "..."

Read the manual. It's there for a reason.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 09:36:33 PM by MaxVance »
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2006, 03:40:56 PM »
If you want to hide something you value, put it in a instruction manual. No one will ever find it.

Print