Poll

Who was your favorite Final fantasy I character when you start?

Warrior/Fighter
Thief
Monk/Black Belt
White Mage
Red Mage
Black Mage
Print

Author Topic: Favorite Final fantasy I charachter  (Read 11087 times)

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« on: May 22, 2006, 05:25:43 PM »
I love the first Final Fantasy and I know I'm not the only one. I especially liked how you had a customizable party. My favorite was The Monk. How about the rest of you guys?

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 06:21:19 PM »
Is it just me, or is the word "character" spelled worse and worse every day around here? Anyway, I like the Monk. He's so.......monkey. Haha. Get it? Monkey.....yeah.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 07:47:00 PM »
haha funny. Sorry about the spelling error. I meant to spell it right. All of the Runescape I play screws with my typing ability.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 08:35:00 PM »
I voted Black Mage. Sorcery rocks.

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 08:54:27 PM »
I've always had a thing for the red-haired Fighter...

...which you call Warrior. Also you called the Black Belt a Monk.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 08:57:11 PM by Lizard Dude »

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 08:58:30 PM »
The first party I ever created was four Black Mages.

I have an undying hatred for Black Belts. (Or Monks for those of you who have only played remakes.) I also don't feel any need to justify this hatred.

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 09:01:32 PM »
Oh, they changed the names? Why is it a Monk? They clearly have black belts.

How far did you get with the Black Mages?

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 09:19:03 PM »
Sorry, I've omly played dawn of souls. I'll change that.

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 09:20:20 PM »
I like the Red Mage, because he can use white magic and black magic...awesome!

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 10:32:40 PM »
Well, it's more likely they were changed in the original NES version from the actual Japanese translation. But, that's besides the point.

NES - Remakes
Fighter - Warrior
Knight - Knight
Thief - Thief
Ninja - Ninja
Black Belt - Monk
Master - Master
Red Mage - Red Mage
Red Wizard - Red Wizard
White Mage - White Mage
White Wizard - White Wizard
Black Mage - Black Mage
Black Wizard  - Black Wizard

When I first played Final Fantasy, I was pretty young. Around 7 or 8ish. I didn't get too far (Though I do believe I managed to beat Garland). I have since gone back, however, and beaten the game with a party of four Black Mages. It's really not that difficult. One Black Mage, now that's a different story.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2006, 10:47:27 PM »
I've got the GBA version.
Hmmm, tough choice. The Red Mage obviously pops into mind, with both types of magic and decent physical abilities. The Warrior is a given for every party, I've never gotten far without one. The Monk is really cheap but rather boring. Thieves are cool, especially when they get the basics of black magic as Ninjas. Black Mages are awesome, what with Flares flyin' everywhere. White Mages, I don't often use...
So yeah, the winner is Red Mage. Is it me, or is FFI hard? It took me forever to beat it, I would do just fine at level 40 and get to the final boss whose identity I will not spoil, but I'd never beat him. Now I'm at level 90 and the "no problem" status... Was the NES version that hard? Harder?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2006, 12:04:23 PM »
Uh, I haven't played Dawn of Souls yet but I'm guessing the NES version was waaaaaaaaay harder.

The Fighter-->Warrior change struck me as odd because your party as a whole is called the LIGHT WARRIORS.

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2006, 12:11:00 PM »
Every time I play Final Fantasy I'm always a black mage. In all the Final Fantasy games where you could pick your class at least.
SSBB theme lyrics: I'll be the Marth, Luigi noob, This is Yoshi's B, This monkey wants to hug him. I'll heat the duck, Uigi noob, pooped through the dress this monkey wears to work.

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2006, 11:01:28 AM »
 The NES version is much, much more difficult than the Dawn of Souls version. Dawn of Souls is really a mockery of the original. Don't get me wrong, the extras were nice, but the game was drastically changed, as opposed to the Origins version, where any additions that were made could be turned off.

Some Examples of Changes are:

Dashing
- No dashing in the original.
Spell structure - (This is probably the biggest change, in the original there was no such thing as MP. There are eight levels of spells, and you can cast a certain amount of each level. Certainly made the game much more difficult, as you really had to watch what spells you were using. None of that Fire 2 every random battle. Unless they were the Ice Wolves. Then you'd FIR2, and run back to the inn to heal.)
Life 2 - (Couldn't be used in battle in the original)
Elemental/Monster Specific Weapons - (They didn't work in the original. Giant Sword wouldn't do more damage to Giants, and so on. More of a programming error than anything else)
Max Level - As I recall, the max level in the original was 50. It's been awhile though, so it might actually be lower.
Saving - You could only save at inns (Or Tents/Cabins) in the original. Die in the Ice Cave? Join the club, everyone does.
Buying Items - You could only buy in quantities of one. Turbo controlers made buying 99 potions a little less time consuming.
Ineffective - That's right. Another big change. Repeatedly hitting the A button? None of that in the past. If you had all four Light Warriors target a monster, and the first one killed it, your party members would not change their target. They'd swing at what you told them, and you'd be treated to a lovely Ineffective. Made battles a lot less boring, as you have to actually pay attention.

There are probably more changes, but I'm just going off the top of my head here. What I've listed might not look like much, but it alters the game significantly. Dawn of Souls is most definitely the easiest, and least true to the original.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 11:03:24 AM by Black Mage »

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2006, 01:06:00 PM »
I always kind of liked Ineffective. It made it feel like the whole battle was happening at once, instead of everyone taking turns. In real life if four people attack a monster and do more damage than they need to kill it, the extra attacks don't magically apply to the next monster.

On the other hand, it was kind of annoying. *shrug*

Print