Print

Author Topic: Selling preowned PS3 games will be illegal.  (Read 3377 times)

« on: May 24, 2006, 07:53:50 PM »
It seems that Sony is planning to adopt a licensing system that will mean gamers won't own the PS3 titles that they've paid money for. Instead, they will only be purchasing the licence to play the game and that the software itself will still be Sony property - meaning that the disc won't be the customer's to sell.

Wow, this http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/ps3/game/news/article.jsp?articleId=20060524153157765035&sectionId=1006 is bullspit! Now, I've been praising the PS3 for awhile and have said it will sell more then the Wii, but I save alot of cash by buying preowned games, and selling old games of mine which I no longer desire to own, and I sure as heck aint going to buy a PS3 knowning that I can no longer legally sell games for it which I no longer want!

So, what are your thoughts on this?

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 07:59:01 PM »

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 10:09:31 PM »
If this is true, it's a deal-breaker for me.  But then, I wasn't planning on buying a PS3 anyway...

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 09:14:20 AM »
Let's see...is the PS3 out yet so we can see for ourselves? This is interesting, but you could've put this in one of the other 4,000 Sony-bashing topics. There's no way Sony would actually do something that utterly retarded.
every

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 05:42:08 PM »
Funny, there were rumors of this awhile ago, and Sony denied them. I don't think this any more true now than it was before.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 06:20:04 PM »
I agree. Shallow and Pedantic. But seriously, I doubt Sony would do something like this. Their games would not make nearly as much money if you could not buy something that was used. What the heck would they do with the leftover games anyway? Still something to be discussed, methinks.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 07:59:39 AM »
Well, they could feed the leftover games to the Game Crabs.
every

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 03:02:42 PM »
Sony wouldn't make any money from the sale of used games. They might, however, lose money due to angering their customers.
I can't think of what they would hope to gain from doing something like this. Since they seem to be denying it, it's probably just a rumor that got out of hand.
I don't think I'll be buying a PS3 (without having to sell some organs on the black market), so none of this really matters much to me.
"At Dukar, we place our emphasis on serving you, supporting
you, and helping you be as successful as possible."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 04:05:12 PM »
Their games would not make nearly as much money if you could not buy something that was used.
Correction: They would make more money.

But yeah, this is apparently false.
That was a joke.

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 07:14:09 PM »
When it comes to Sony, what should one expect anyway!? Don't be suprised if they apply a similar edict to ALL other Sony products! Heck, aren't they also the ones behind the DRM rootkit that embeds itself into the WinNT kernel-integrated enough to prevent the kernel from initializing if the rootkit is removed?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2006, 10:29:59 AM »
What in Sam Hill are you talkin' 'bout?! I don't understand noin' who ain't talk Americkin!

But seriously, Sony has never restricted sales of its games in any way before. That's what makes the PS2, ahem, the best-selling current-gen console.
every

Print