Where my Dogs at?
0 (0%)
South Park
5 (10.2%)
Other
8 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Print

Author Topic: What are your greatest cartoons?  (Read 13789 times)

« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2006, 01:08:17 PM »
Ah, finally! Someone else who likes Spongebob.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2006, 01:36:06 PM »
Anyone remember the crappy 'limited animation' Hanna-Barbera cartoons? I love those as well.

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2006, 04:52:25 PM »
Ha, that's exactly what Space Ghost makes fun of: limited Hanna-Barbera animation, and it's a Hanna-Barbera cartoon. This is one of the things that makes SG: CTC such a great show.
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

AbercrombieBaseball

• FitchPitch
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2006, 08:18:00 PM »
I can't say I watched all that many cartoons. I was very into Wheel of Fortune as a youngster and in fact still watch the show on a regular basis. I actually got to see a live taping of the show in 1998, and saw the set when I visited Disney World in 1989!

For me, the best childhood show is and always will be Mr. Rogers. I'm from Pittsburgh, PA, which is his hometown, and I have met the show's guitarist, Joe Negri. He's actually a professor of music at Duquesne University, which is in Pittsburgh and is not too far from the Mellon Arena where the Pittsburgh Penguins play. Mr. Rogers would always manage to teach a lesson and make me feel good about myself. When I went off to college, my grandmother bought me a book called "Life According to Mr. Rogers". It's a great read.

I know a lot of people my age (I will be 20 in September) bash Mr. Rogers because the show doesn't have the violence and whatnot found in other cartoons like Bat Man, but you will never find a better children's show. As a future elementary school teacher, it always helps to remember what filled you with humanity as a child.

And yes, I did take heat for not watching the same shows as a lot of people. I found some books at the library and read them with the intent of finding out what these other shows were about, but I could not coerce myself to like them. I think it's because I was so used to Mr. Rogers.

There were two other excellent shows on PBS that I watched in elementary school. One was called "Square One" and it was a very entertaining show that taught mathematics behind the scenes. It featured some great segments such as Mathnet Detective Agency, Math-Man the Pacman clone, and my personal favorite, the music videos. One song that I particularly loved was called "Less than Zero". The lyrics went "Less than zero, he's an empty hero...I'm just a negative guy!" So entertaining yet so subliminally educational.

I also used to watch the original Carmen Sandiego show. While my intent was not to learn some geography, I picked a lot of it up anyway. I liked to watch it because of the show's singing group, Rockapella. I own two Rockapella albums and played one all the way to Duluth on a 1993 vacation! I also had the computer game for my Macintosh, but I usually needed the desk encyclopedia that came with it to win (until I hit middle school).

If you truly want a good animated cartoon, however, I would go with the old Mickey Mouse shorts from the 1930s. They're not as "kiddy" as the modern Mickey Mouse and are actually quite funny. You can find them on DVD these days. When your grandparents were teenagers, they would show this at the theater before the movie and they would sometimes be more entertained by the cartoon shorts than the movies themselves! The old Pink Panther series were usually good too.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2006, 10:03:19 PM »
I used to watch all of those PBS shows, but they're not cartoons...
That was a joke.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2006, 09:59:36 AM »
Funny. That guy mentioned Mickey shorts. I just a got a whole set of DVD's full of old Disney shorts as a late Birthday gift. Yes, I am a classic cartoon fan.

« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2006, 07:13:26 PM »
Those old cartoons are so great.  I remember watching Looney Toons when I was first up in the morning.  They were the really old ones, where everyone looked weird and the color was faded, but they were probably the greatest.  :D
One reason I liked them was because, being of small mind, I couldn't possibly imagine how many episodes there must be!  They never maintained a plotline, so it was basically like picking up on a new character every other episode. 

Dexter's Laboratory was also the greatest (for a while, the new ones suck).  I remember my favorite episode was the one where Dexter had to get the photos of his lab back before Mom could develop them.  It was a parody of James Bond.  So random.  So grand. 
As I said about the new ones, they suck because they took the personalities of the characters and really over-emphasized them.  Dee Dee, yes, was known as a ditz, but everyone once in a while, she would do something smarter than Dexter.  In the new ones, however, you'll find her role as a stupid, very annoying, stick.  And what's with the eyelashes?  She had more character without constant eyelashes!!  X(  (But that has to do with the new animation). 
Maybe there is more to me than there is to me...

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2006, 08:43:07 PM »
The only thing I like about the newer Dexter episodes is the addition of Mandark's parents(they're hippies, no wonder the kid is such a psychotic), but they retconned his backstory and disposed of his sister(who was Deedee's rival in an older episode), which I don't like.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2006, 09:40:10 PM »
(they're hippies, no wonder the kid is such a psychotic)
?
Mandark's dad was cool. Mandark is a freak of nature by himself.
That was a joke.

« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2006, 09:51:08 PM »
Hey, what was Mandark's real name again? I remember his parents were hippies, and Dexter's dad tried to fight Mandark's dad in their cars. Ah, good times.............
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2006, 10:09:35 PM »
I like The Simpsons and Futurama, but I think Bugs Bunny cartoons are some of the best in the world.  I like how they were made to classical music.  My particular favs are the one where Bugs is a barber.  I think it was "The Barber of Seville".  I also like "I killed the wabbit" or whatever it's called.  Maybe those were on the same show or something.  I really want the gold DVDs, but don't want to spend too much money right now.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2006, 10:11:34 PM »
I love the fact that lots of stuff in Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies cartoons that was considered harmless back when they was made is considered offensive now.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2006, 10:34:39 PM »
I love the fact that lots of stuff in Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies cartoons that was considered harmless back when they was made is considered offensive now.
Please do tell.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2006, 12:01:05 AM »
Oh, Vid just wants to say that. He doesn't actually have any examples.
That was a joke.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2006, 01:10:44 AM »
it's not offensive, it's just hilarous. I love all those old cartoons too.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Print