Poll

Should I Sell my Original DS and Buy a DS Lite?

Of course, you idiot!
7 (30.4%)
I would
1 (4.3%)
You could if you wanted to
12 (52.2%)
Don't do it
3 (13%)
Stop right there, imbecile!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Print

Author Topic: Should I Pack Liter?  (Read 11210 times)

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« on: August 25, 2006, 06:48:16 AM »
I am asking the Fungi Forums to help me with a decision. It's whether or not I should sell my original DS and use the money (along with some of my own) to buy a DS Lite. I'm really leaning towards it, as the Lite seems twenty times better than the original DS, but I wanted to ask what everyone else thinks. So, what should I do?
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 08:09:30 AM »
I wouldn't do it. The DS lite is almost the same thing as the DS "fat". There isn't anything necisary that the Lite introduces. Look at the GBA SP. It had a back light screen and rechargeable battery. Those features were almost nesecary. The lite has brighter screen and 4 levels of brightness. The original DS's screen was already bright enough, do we really need it any brighter? Plus, the higher levels just wastes more battery time. It has a bigger stylus, but Nintendo sells extra styli in packs of 2. Just buy one of those. Now you've got a better stylus, and you didn't have to buy another system just to get it. I, personally, have never had a problem with the power button. I've only accidently pressed the power button during gameplay once. The DS lite isn't really needed. It's great for people who don't have the original DS, but for those who do have the DS "fat", they should hang on to it until you get somthing like a major scratch on the touch screen or somthing.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 09:09:19 AM »
Sell your old DS and get a DS Lite. That's what I would do.
"MY FAVORITE PART WAS WHEN RICK ASTLEY SAID HE'D NEVER LET ME DOWN" - Cosbydaf

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 09:18:26 AM »
I wouldn't, but that's more likely because I'm terribly cheap.  I like the lite, but I can survive with the "old" version.  I might just be waiting for the black version though...
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 09:42:23 AM »
Hahaha, I read this as "should you pack liiter*", as in the volume measurement and not "more lite," and I thought "What on earth?"

Anyways, it depends on a few things -- one, howmuch more utility are you gaining from a DS Lite opposed to what you have now? I mean, it plays the same games, right? Also, how much of the cost would you have to pay yourself; that is, what do you think you can get for your original DS?

I personally wouldn't do it, but then again, I have a high preference for functionality over aesthetics.  It's up to you.

*phonetic spelling, not a typo
~I.S.~

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 11:33:22 AM »
If you want to, fine. Just as long as you don't sell any games.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 04:40:31 PM »
I think you should. I just bought a Lite and kept my old DS, though.

Hahaha, I read this as "should you pack liiter*", as in the volume measurement and not "more lite," and I thought "What on earth?"
*phonetic spelling, not a typo
Heh, me too.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 05:05:00 PM »
Coke Zero or Dr Pepper. Buy a fizz keeper for the cap, it helps.
To answer your real question: NO WAY. Unless your closet contains nothing but identical jump suits, the size is not worth it. I don't have a DS Lite, but from what I can tell...
- They're more cramped for yuor hands (If you have small hands, this won't matter).
- They get cracks in the outer hinge for no reason (Not much of a problem, but WHY?).
- GBA games jut out (well, the only way that would bother me is if it got caught on my pocket or felt weird inside).
-I've never had a problem with my DS's light, I can see it in the pitch black darkness of night just fine.
So if it's not size reduction you're looking for, stick with the DS Phat. Money doesn't grow on trees... unless you're a professional arborist.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 09:36:50 PM »
i would, it's awesome! Actually the smallness, Is quite good, the power button is now out of the way of you thumb, and it is desinged in a sleek white style, which looks so cool, the buttons are no longer clicky, and they are smaller, so you don't have to move your thumb to press them, all you need is a small nudge, the four levels of brightness are awesome, 3-D game demos I've played are beutiful, the stylus is thicker and longer, it has a more natrual grip, when not playing a GBA game, you can cover the slot with a small catridge like cover. So you should.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2006, 03:55:08 AM »
Bird, the brightness isn't to help in darker places, it's to help in lighter places. Sounds backwards, but that's how it is.

Also, the crack thing is on a minority of DSes.

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2006, 12:59:53 PM »
I've been hearing a lot about the cracks. What exactly happens? A visible picture would be fine, but if there is some kind of defect in the Lite, I do not want to get it. And, BP, I have small hands, so I guess this could be my advantage. Whenever I would bowl with my own custom ball, people would always bug me to use my ball. After annoying me more and more, I'd let them, and then they would complain that the hoels were too small.

So far, everything the Lite has different seems to be even better than what the regular DS "Phat" has, so I still have this in mind. It all depends on how much I make with my Yu-Gi-Oh! cards.

(Tip to the public: never waste your money on any kind of trading cards, save your money!)
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2006, 02:37:24 PM »
I just got a DS Lite yesterday, and I played one cup of MKDS on it. I learned a few things.

• The buttons are not clicky, but that didn't make a difference to me. What did make a small difference, is that they are raised about twice as high off of the surface. This isn't much, since the buttons are so thin to begin with, but it was noticeably harder to press X to use items in MKDS as I usually do.
  • Before that scares you, let me then say this. I had been trying off and on to 3-star this cup for a long time now, and on my first try on the DS Lite, I did it. Obviously I adapted to the raised button thing and did better than I ever had before.
  • After playing, I went back to my original DS to transfer the wifi settings to the Lite. When I turned on MKDS in the old DS, I was shocked at how horrific the screens looked. Seriously, when you play a Lite, you will never be able to go back. At least I won't. The original DS screens look like they're covered in a thick, thick layer of soot and ash. You can't see anything. I'm not even joking. Those old screens are so dim it should be a crime to humanity.
  • I have spent a buttload of money on Magic: The Gathering cards and a moderate amount on the original Star Wars CCG and am planning to spend a buttload on the World of Warcraft TCG. I do not regret it. Some of the most fun gaming and social experiences of my life were gained from the cards and I still have them for future use. True, I got to travel around the state every week and play many varied and unusual people as well as the standbys at home, which provided some variety, but I'm just saying, don't knock cards in general.
  • Again, don't worry about the crack thing. It happens in a minority of DSes and is a piddling flaw in the face of the vast superiority that is the DS Lite. If it does happen, what appears is small cracks on the two hinges that attach the top portion to the bottom. I would choose a cracked DS Lite over a flawless DS without thinking twice. And remember, it probably won't crack.
  • The DS Lite owns all, and you should get one if you can afford it.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2006, 03:39:09 PM »
Also, the DS Lite has a better stylus.

This time, I read the title as "Should I Pack Litter?" (as in cat litter).
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2006, 05:18:51 PM »
Huh, funny, there is only one t in liter, I thought you ment should I pack a Lighter?
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2006, 08:53:43 PM »
I'm kind of with Robert and CoconutMikeNIke on this one.  I wouldn't sell my DS 'fat' for a DS Lite, but that's mostly because it's very special to me (I was very surprised to find it in my stocking in the Christmas of 2004.  I seriously didn't think I'd get a DS till its price dropped), and the fact that money doesn't grow on trees.

The only times I ever have a problem with the screen's brightness is when I'm playing in the car, and the sun is really high up and shining into my window.  But that is only one minor inconvenience, and it doesn't occur very often.  Other than that, I am very satisfied with my DS.  Plus, I use it as my alarm clock.

Here's my opinion: you can sell your DS 'fat' for a DS Lite if you want to.  It's your DS and your money.  I mean, personally, I wouldn't, but just me, and others who are happy with their DS 'fats' and are conserving their money.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Print