Print

Author Topic: Online Wii Stuff  (Read 7049 times)

« on: December 11, 2006, 07:54:44 PM »
There is relatively no force on this earth that will keep me from getting to a Wii at some point or another, and I am definatley going to be picking one up asap, but...

How does everyone think the whole online system is going to work out? The dreaded friends-code system is back, and It frustrates me to see an online system that is so isolated. Does anyone think that Nintendo might eventually work out something like X-box Live?
I come bearing a gift. I'll give you a hint. It's in my diaper and it's not a toaster.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 08:04:29 PM »
Not like they've actually done anything with online gameplay yet.
It works fine for me.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 08:54:53 PM »
Ah, but dioesn't Xbox Live cost money? No way, Nintendo's Wi-Fi service is free. And yes, it works for me too. So far you can send messages, pictures and Miis to friends.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 09:22:09 PM »
Since there's a Wii Code for each system, maybe there won't be individual friend codes for each game.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 09:26:42 PM »
There won't. That's the whole idea.
That was a joke.

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 10:19:56 AM »
I wouldn't mind a leaderboard system like the one used for the Xbox Live Arcade.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 04:29:44 PM »
I wish the Wii online system didn't use friend codes; those are better suited to the DS than a full-fledged console. I'd just feel clumsy saying to my friend, "Okay, my code is 90210-666-42-B. Wait, it's 90345-333-42-B. I think."
every

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 06:04:48 PM »
Well, scientists have discovered that even monkeys can memorize ten numbers.  Are you stupider than a monkey?

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 08:25:58 PM »
I think the OP misused the word relatively.

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 04:17:59 PM »
what / whos the OP?
I come bearing a gift. I'll give you a hint. It's in my diaper and it's not a toaster.

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 04:56:03 PM »
Original Poster

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2006, 01:58:14 AM »
Optometrist
Operator
Mop
It's YOUR problem!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2006, 12:09:07 PM »
Original Pranksta, yo.
every

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2006, 06:02:19 PM »
Ongoing Potter

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2006, 07:08:45 PM »
1 was annoying, 2 was ENOUGH, but three nonsensical "OP" replies, stop destroying this thread kthx

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2006, 10:26:10 PM »
I thought the slang was "thx". Not "kthx".
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2006, 11:00:07 PM »
thx= thanks
kthx= okay, thanks
kthxbai= okay, thanks, bye

Yep.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2006, 11:26:57 PM »
That's chatspeak, the language of Satan. 1337 i5 411 righ7 wi7h m3 if y0u still f0110w th3 rul35 of gr4mm4r... But that's another story. This topic has gone to the place where chatspeak is the primary language...
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2006, 11:54:14 PM »
Chatspeak is fun when used ironically, as is ALWAYS THE CASE with me and probably many others here.

Also, another one, for the record, is plzkthx, which is, of course "please, okay, thanks"

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2006, 12:52:05 AM »
1 was annoying, 2 was ENOUGH, but three nonsensical "OP" replies, stop destroying this thread kthx

Obnoxious Posts :)

So yeah, does anyone know when online play will be released for Wii? And I'm assuming if I already have a router that I can play my DS on, it works for the Wii as well. Correct?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2006, 02:08:45 AM »
Well, since we're already sending messages and stuff to each other using our Wiis, I guess online play will be around whenever a game that utilizes the internet is released.
It's YOUR problem!

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2006, 11:02:45 AM »
bobman, you are correct. I have also learned from Nintendo Power that the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector (originally used for the DS) is compatible with Wii.
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2006, 11:51:55 AM »
Excuse me if this is a tad off-topic, but what's with Nintendo's love of Wi-Fi? Unlike broadband, which is basically plug-and-play, Wi-Fi requires routers and all that mumbo-jumbo. And besides, I don't like the idea of taking my Wii (if I ever get one) to some cyber-cafe. Yeah, I know, I can get a wireless router doohickey or whatever, but it's still not as simple as broadband, nor as widely-used.
every

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2006, 12:12:21 PM »
PEOPLE DON'T LIKE WIRES; THEY'RE SO CONFUSING

so here's what you do you get this router or our USB dongle and then you ... and ... blah blah ... and blah blah ...

P.S. - Wi-Fi can be broadband.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 12:56:18 PM by Eclipsed Moon »

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2006, 04:10:06 PM »
Glorb, why do you whine? Before you complain about something, make sure your complaint is legitimate. I already have a router because it connects the other computers to the internet, and from there, connecting my Wii was a snap. It found the access point, I entered the WEP key, and I was on. Just shut up, you KNOW you want one. :P
It's YOUR problem!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2006, 09:32:02 PM »
Also, with a DS, it would suck to have to have some Ethernet adapter plugged into the GBA slot and be tethered by the wires.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2006, 09:38:33 PM »
My main concern is that maybe my router won't be compatible with the Wii, since my router is listed as "incompatible" on their website. Strange, though, since it works perfectly with my DS.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2006, 01:55:27 AM »
I'm not sure what type of wireless the Wii uses. It may be different from DS.
Anyway Glorb, I guess you don't know what "broadband" means.
Anyway, having a LAN isn't really plug and play at all. And a lot of the time wireless routers are just as easy to set up and use as the modem that connects to your DSL or cable, and I don't know what you mean by "widely used", since a lot of places have wireless access points set up where you can't really plug in a LAN cable. Most of the time you don't buy a wireless router without already having broadband Internet access. And you know what else, it's going to cost more money, and be more restrictive when you get a Broadband Adapter for the Wii and plug the Wii into your wired LAN rather than simply have it connect wirelessly to your house's wireless LAN.
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2006, 10:11:06 AM »
Okay, but riddle me this: How popular is Wi-Fi from a practical standpoint to everyone (i.e., not a Nintendo standpoint to a Nintendo fan)? I mean, look at Xbox Live: That's got, like a trillion users, and that's broadband-only. All I'm saying is that, until Nintendo learns to drastically streamline their online approach (using such superadvanced technology as "selecting a friend from a list and then playing, whithout memorizing any codes beforehand").

It doesn't matter how "simple" an online system is; if ANYTHING reqires memorizing or writing down ten-digit codes, it's archaic to me. I mean, Nintendo wants it to be multiplayer with friends and so on, right? Well, I feel some some sort of clone talking to another clone when I'm exchanging complicated numbers that aren't phone numbers. And just because you can personalize your Mii and show it off doesn't mean it's the wave of the future; anyone remeber a little something called Ping Pals for the DS?

But anyway, that's just my opinion, which I must not be entitled to because I don't like Wi-Fi.
every

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2006, 11:24:40 AM »
I think the main problem is that you don't understand the concept or know anything about Wi-Fi. First off, aren't there wireless adapters for Xbox that one can use with one's home's wireless (Wi-Fi) network? Second, do you realize that Nintendo WFC requires a broadband Internet connection? It is "broadband only" also. Third, do you realize that there is a LAN adapter for Wii, thus making it not require Wi-Fi?
To answer your question, Wi-Fi is very popular because it is, at times, much more practical than wired networks. Most colleges have Wi-Fi all over their campuses, as well as businesses and hotels, pretty much anywhere you need Internet access without the hassle of wired networks. It's also more convenient for these reasons. Wireless internet was the perfect thing for Nintendo to use because of its popularity and practicality.
So yeah, you're more not entitled to your opinion because you keep misusing terminology (such as "broadband", which makes you sound like you don't know what you're talking about) and have a lack of information on the subject.
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2006, 12:50:28 PM »
Hey, I know my terminology! The mouse is that thing you hear pictures through, right?

But seriously, I just recently did my homework, and it turns out that I did actually misuse the term "broadband". Whoops, sorry.
every

Print