Print

Author Topic: The HOPEFUL thread: Be happy here!  (Read 1273476 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #4770 on: December 31, 2009, 09:37:34 AM »
The Legend of Zelda: 3D Dot Game Heroes looks awesome.  Dare I say, more awesome than The Legend of Zelda: Okami. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #4771 on: December 31, 2009, 10:18:59 AM »
Greatest Hits--or whatever they're called, depending on the console--are great, moneywise, but I wish half the box wouldn't be covered with bright yellow or review snippets and awards and whatnot.

Well, I'll list the upcoming PS3 games I know I'll be getting:

Heavy Rain
The Last Guardian
3D Dot Game Heroes
God of War III
Final Fantasy Versus XIII

I was looking forward to White Knight Chronicles for a long time but a recent trailer turned me off. May still get if I hear recommendations after release.
--Don't really know much about Heavy Rain. Isn't it mystery-related, or something?
--The Last Guardian, I'm definitely getting.
--Glaring "borrowing" of Dragon Quest/Zelda elements aside, 3D Dot Game Heroes looks pretty cool.
--I haven't played any other God of War games, primarily because I don't think I'm really that into excessive violence.
--This is the first I've heard of FFvXIII and WKC (I've been basically cut off from extra-Nintendo news since EGM died)
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #4772 on: December 31, 2009, 10:31:19 AM »
When I first played this game I hated it. Lizard Dude purchased it for me, and when I played it at first I thought it was a completely stupid violence fest. I came back to the game a second time, then 2 months later, I had purchased God of War II and they are now two of my favorite games.

God of War is definitely in the highest echelon of all gamingdom. It is the nearly perfect action game in all aspects. If you haven't played them, your gaming experiences are sorely incomplete.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #4773 on: December 31, 2009, 10:55:06 AM »
3D Dot Game Heroes looks really awesome; however, the only thing that strikes me as odd is the extremely shallow depth of field. I don't know if that's a particular style they're going for or simply a limitation, but it kinda wears on the eye a bit.
Formerly quite reasonable.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #4774 on: December 31, 2009, 11:32:42 AM »
I assume they are doing that because with increased depth the blocks would look less blocky which would might hurt the looks of the game. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #4775 on: December 31, 2009, 03:58:27 PM »
Quote from: Wikipedia's article on 3D Dot Game Heroes
Players are also able to collect monsters to be featured in an encyclopedia which is done through beating the monster on its head with a book until its profile shows up in the encyclopedia's pages.

I want this game so badly. Do you suppose it'll ever find its way onto rival consoles?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4776 on: December 31, 2009, 05:35:04 PM »
I'm sitting here trying to comprehend how CE7 hasn't beaten one of the easiest final bosses I can think of.
That was a joke.

« Reply #4777 on: January 01, 2010, 12:02:14 AM »
I want this game so badly. Do you suppose it'll ever find its way onto rival consoles?
Highly unlikely. Except for Armored Core games, From Software pretty much sticks to single-platform. See: Chromehounds, Otogi and Ninja Blade only on Xbox; Demon's Souls and 3D Dot Game Heroes only on PS3; Lost Kingdoms only on Cube.

It's weird how they sprinkle awesome exclusives between all the platforms, but I appreciate the focus. Developing a game for a single console helps it play to the hardware strengths.

« Reply #4778 on: January 01, 2010, 12:39:08 AM »
Good point. It's a shame for everyone else, though. The game's textures and shading give it a convincing resemblance to stop-motion animation, although those depth-perception issues might hinder the gameplay slightly. Along with LBP, 3DDGH is one of the few PS3 titles I actually give a darn for.

EDIT: Not that it's likely, but possibilities do exist...
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 12:42:42 AM by Weegee »

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #4779 on: January 01, 2010, 11:39:51 AM »
Well, times like this justify my half-hearted purchasing of a PS3.

...Well, that and the fact that, since it was discovered that receipt (in my ongoing attempt to return the games my grandmother errantly purchased) I thought was for Mirror's Edge was for a fourth game she had bought for my younger cousin, an attempt to find The Fourth Receipt failed and I just got $100 instead to cover all the trouble. Combined with another $100 in my wallet and an eye for deals at Game Crazy, I bought...

--The Orange Box
--Uncharted 2
--Wario Land: Shake It!
--Rhythm Heaven
--Dragon Quest VIII
--Soul Calibur IV
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #4780 on: January 01, 2010, 02:45:27 PM »
Great call on Rhythm Heaven and Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King, and I'd say the same for The Orange Box if it wasn't the PS3 port (which apparently has framerate issues). Can't say much about the other three games, though, other than that Soulcalibur IV's horrible netcode won't affect you for the same reason I don't play online games of any sort.

« Reply #4781 on: January 02, 2010, 12:05:08 AM »
We all know he didn't buy Soulcalibur IV for the Multiplayer...
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #4782 on: January 02, 2010, 01:11:15 AM »
Clearly he bought it for some part of the gameplay, since he bought Dragon Quest VIII for Jessica.

« Reply #4783 on: January 02, 2010, 01:14:30 AM »
In the same way as he picked up Wario Land: Shake It for... err, Captain Syrup.

« Reply #4784 on: January 02, 2010, 01:30:42 AM »
I commend Warp & Wiggles for spelling Soulcalibur correctly.

But who says it has horrible netcode?

Print