Print

Author Topic: Should Bowser be a main protagonist again?  (Read 14174 times)

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« on: October 03, 2008, 11:15:23 AM »
When M&L:SS was announced, the synopsis made it sound like Bowser was going to be your ally but as it all turned out, Bowser was once again the main bad guy (though that time, it was beyond his will).

One of the main reasons I love SMRPG so much is the alliance you form with Bowser and not once does he betray you after joining. Sure he didn't join to help Mario and only joined for his benefit but he remained a good guy until Smithy was defeated. Why can't there ever be a game with such situation?

Bowser appears to be fighting the bad guys in M&L3, will he join forces with Mario & Luigi? Or is he just having his own side-story like PM:TTYD where he will eventually and ultimately be the final battle in the game?

I don't know about you, but I want to see Bowser as a good guy again. Wario reformed (seemingly permanently, even though I severely hate that factory of his) why can't Bowser?
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 11:16:21 AM »
That was a joke.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 11:25:16 AM »
Yes, I would love to play as Bowser.  I really like Super Mario Bros. 2 because one could play as Toad and the Princess.  I think Bowser is a fun addition to any Party!
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 12:40:26 PM »
Bowser's cool, but I'm not sure if I'd want to play as him. Didn't play as him in Smash Bros. Melee/Brawl because of his lack of speed, keep thinking his size and slowness will put him at a disadvantage. On the other hand, he's very strong, so that worked out in SMRPG when a lack of speed wasn't as much of an issue (or even that noticeable). As for Mario Kart 64, I've never played as a heavyweight, so Bowser's out. ...heavyweight... why don't we have a Mario boxing game yet?

It was probably that darn Super Mario World Western Show video, but Mario and Bowser seem like a classic pair when fighting eachother (be it a life or death situation or just fighting over who gets Peach). Just seems more right for them to be villains. And it's that situation where you don't really want to see either of the two die permanently. While having Bowser at my side is great, maybe that's been diluted by how he's been goaded into being your ally in other games, including the Mario sports games.

But Bowser starring in his own game, sure, why not. There was a game featuring Peach, which blows my mind, why not Bowser.
You didn't say wot wot.

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 02:08:06 PM »
Bowser was a main protagonist in Super Paper Mario, so at least there's something besides RPG. The new M&L3 info with fighting on the same side as Bowser seems interesting as well.
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 02:09:24 PM »
Shake It!?

I mean he's no longer an enemy of Mario. I mean, why would Mario invite an enemy to the Mario Party and let him join in the adventure of Super Mario 64 DS?
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 02:36:01 PM »
I like playing as Bowser, and playing him in a Mario and Luigi game sounds fun.  How come Wario and Donkey Kong never appear in a Mario RPG?  Besides maybe a few cameos?
Victory... is my destiny!

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 04:19:22 PM »
The thing is, can Wario even really be considered a protagonist? Maybe a lesser of two evils. The fact that he victimizes those that victimize others doesn't make him a hero--his motivation is purely financial gain. I can easily see Bowser losing his castle to an upstart villain, and having to flame-broil keister to reclaim it. And him being slow is the lamest excuse to dismiss this whole thing.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 04:22:12 PM »
Again? Well, he never really was in the first place. Playable main character maybe (and I figure that's what you meant), but never the leading man... er, Koopa.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 05:48:50 PM »
Why can't there ever be a game with such situation?
There was. Super Mario RPG.
Wario reformed
The cool thing about Wario is that he really is Mario's antithesis. Mario will do darned near anything to do one thing: protect his woman. He has a good sense of justice and frequently deals with evil. Wario, on the other hand, will do darned near anything to get his grubby gloves on his true love: money. He has no sense of right and wrong and may help or hurt others, but it doesn't matter to him as long as he gets rich. He was never evil. Just greedy.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

chucknorris

• ID:10 Tango error
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 06:46:17 PM »
it just wouldn't go with the rest of the games.
How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could could chuck wood?

A wood chuck could chuck as much wood as a wood chuck could chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood.

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 08:02:56 AM »
I think it should stick to the traditional "bowsers the bad guy".  It just wouldn't be right with a bunch of games with bowser as an allie. Though one or two third party Mario games would be ok I guess.
Probably likes Sonic games better than anyone else on the fungi forums.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2008, 08:50:59 AM »
Bowser needs his own game at this point. A game involving lots of destruction and conquering.

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2008, 10:40:56 AM »
Bowser's game could be a real time strategy!
Victory... is my destiny!

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2008, 01:58:17 PM »
Bowser needs his own game at this point. A game involving lots of destruction and conquering.

If they made a game like that it would be too similar to the game 'Shadow the Hedgehog'.
Probably likes Sonic games better than anyone else on the fungi forums.

Print