Print

Author Topic: The CARPET thread: Discuss all carpetry here!  (Read 9843 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« on: July 17, 2006, 03:02:31 PM »
The art of carpetry is a nuanced one indeed. So, I started this thread because I, and no doubt most other members here, like it so much. How good are you at laying carpet? What's your favorite color? How many carpet structures have you fabricated? What's your favorite carpet style or material?

NOTE: This thread is not intended as satire AT ALL.
every

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 03:13:20 PM »
The wheels on my chair seem to be pulling up fluffs of carpet fiber around my desk. Luckily I have no real need for that carpet.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 03:38:07 PM »
I got a solution. Assuming you're using a type-B6 polyurethane-thread microfiber weave, then simply degause the strips of metal in it with a 69-volt amplifier. Just make sure no microwaves are on at the time, as they run on the same frquency as the amplifier's battery module.
every

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 03:57:53 PM »
I have no carpet.  I am sad.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 03:59:51 PM »
I could always get one of those plastic carpet protectors, too.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 04:18:02 PM »
Before the carpet, my room had tile flooring. It was cheap though, as I noticed one day when I was playing video games, a tile came up with my foot.

It was removed and a carpet was put in its place. A green carpet, to match the new colors of the walls.

Unfortunately it's doing damage to my rolling chair; one of the wheels falls off every so often.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 05:29:06 PM »
My family owns several Persian carpets, one of which covers the floor in my room.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 05:43:42 PM »
My present room has no carpet, bu instead hardwood flooring, of which I am pleased.  That past two rooms I have otherwise lived in had white carpeting, but of course they weren't white when we moved out because of the damages of being a member of my family. :P  In a month I'm moving to another house, and all my siblings are finally going to colleges that are too far from which to live at home.  Actually, one sibling is joining the marines.  Anyway, the house we're moving into is mostly carpet again; white carpet; and I intend on keeping the carpet of my room clean.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 05:45:42 PM »
I would've expected this to be closed by now...

Anyways, my living room carpet was used in the movie Death on the Nile (I'm serious), and my second floor is covered in carpet. So is my basement.

Like NintendoExpert, my family also owns several Persian carpets.
"MY FAVORITE PART WAS WHEN RICK ASTLEY SAID HE'D NEVER LET ME DOWN" - Cosbydaf

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 05:56:54 PM »
I have carpeting around my entire house. Nothing but the kitchen has tile.

Throughout it's 30 long years of life, it has been hit hard with drinks, baby diapers, dog poo and the works. It's never been replaced and needless to say, it doesn't look new anymore! Still, I enjoy it way better than tile (tile is just kinda painful to lay on).
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 06:30:09 PM »
Hard floors fail. Carpets win except for being a pain to clean. Vacuuming is good but there needs to be a convenient, better way to actually clean carpets.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006, 07:24:41 PM »
This ugly brown carpet has floored my room since I was a little kid. It's hideous, old, disgusting, and smells suspicious. It used to cover the house (with the exception of the linoleum in the kitchen and bathroom, also grody and still here) until my parents came to their senses and replaced most of it with hardwood. Rooms where this has happened include the living room. But what coincidential (and not in the least ironic) timing, my dad just ripped out the carpet in the back of the laundry room which really didn't have much in it and replaced it with tiles. That room will now be a really small laundry room, but the extra space will be used to expand the kitchen. Back on the topic of carpeting, my room and that of my sister's should be replaced with hardwood likem the rest of the house as promised by my dad... This carpet really sucks. Actually, if I had carpeting in my room that was really soft and the right shade of green, it'd pwn hardwood any day. I'll tell that to my dad... Heh heh...
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2006, 08:23:29 PM »
Vacuuming is good but there needs to be a convenient, better way to actually clean carpets.

Well, if you mean convenient as in not time-consuming, I have a robot called Roomba that is circular, and when you set it up, it will vacuum your room for you. There is a sensor on the front of it, so when it bumps into something, such as a table leg or couch, it will trigger the moving sensor and it will back up slightly and turn, so it doesn't just keep going forward. Very handy, especially when you have things you need to get done.

There also is another way to clean carpets other than vacuuming, which is to call some cleaing company to come in and like put water or steam or whatever it is they do to it, which really gets it clean and pulls it up so it's nice and fluffy and new. I love it when we get that done, which is ~once every two years or so. But you all already knew that.

You know what's really cool? My parents' bathroom is all carpeted. ALL OF IT, including the area around the toilet, sink, bathtub, etc. I like it that way, but on the other hand, if you miss.... let's just say you'll need more than a mop to clean it. :P

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2006, 09:06:29 PM »
I mean an actual way to get carpets clean that can be done with the same ease as vacuuming.
That was a joke.

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2006, 09:47:01 PM »
Hm. Well, I've heard of vacuum-type devices that use water or steam to help soften or fluff the carpet, but I don't know how well they work.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2006, 11:23:12 PM »
Shampooing sucks. A lot. Why not use that one British guy's Swivel Sweeper as seen on TV? It'll clean cat hair, dog hair, your hair or his hair if he's visited recently. It supposedly works on any surface, too. Amazing. Yeah... TV isn't that great.
It's YOUR problem!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2006, 11:51:13 PM »
I'm talking more about what bobman was talking about. Except, with the convenience of a vacuum cleaner.
That was a joke.

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2006, 07:27:24 PM »
I have a basement floor, no carpeting.
I only watch [adult swim]

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2006, 10:02:45 AM »
This ugly brown carpet has floored my room since I was a little kid. It's hideous, old, disgusting, and smells suspicious. It used to cover the house (with the exception of the linoleum in the kitchen and bathroom, also grody and still here)...
Do you live in my house? Because that is exactly what my house's floors are like.

By the way, for a joke thread, this is doing surprisingly well.
every

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2006, 11:18:12 AM »
By the way, for a joke thread, this is doing surprisingly well.
Uh...

NOTE: This thread is not intended as satire AT ALL.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2006, 11:21:20 AM »
You mean you believed him?
That was a joke.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2006, 12:42:48 PM »
My dog likes to chew up our carpeting. Which is very annoying at times.
~I.S.~

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2006, 07:28:30 PM »
Periodically in my life I've had to help remove carpet. That, my friends, is the job from heck. There's all the glue and foam that you have to rip up, and glue/foam is not cool to work with at all.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2006, 11:47:08 AM »
I think the foam under my carpet is to blame for the disappearance of my pet turtle. When we found him, he was different. He smoked pot and rode a motorcycle to school and punched out the principal. Sigh.
every

AbercrombieBaseball

• FitchPitch
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2006, 12:18:37 PM »
Interesting that I find a topic like this. I came here to ask a Mario Kart question and I found this miscellaneous section with a carpet thread on it.

I'm finishing a basement right now and I'm wondering what kind of carpet to get. I've heard berber is good and cost-effective, but if anyone else here has basement carpet and has a better idea let me know.

It will work as long as:

-it isn't overly expensive
-is available in blue
-doesn't require special mantinence other than sweeping

Thanks for any input you guys might have.

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2006, 06:38:11 PM »
Carpets.
They are okay, I guess,
but you can't fight a good wood flooring.
All the carpet I have in my room is one of those street ones,
of where you play cars on.
Okay, not exactly excellant nor mature,
but it wasn't my idea.
Besides,
carptets?
Too much work to keep it clean.
Why use Special Vaccums of when you can just Swift It?
Swift It Good?
Most Wishy-Washy

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2006, 07:24:12 PM »
Carpets.
They are great.
They are better than cold, hard flooring.
My entire house (except my basement and bathrooms) have carpets.
The ones that pets like to go to the bathroom on.
Okay, not exactly sanitary,
but it dosn't matter because I don't have any pets.
Besides,
wood?
It swells up when you spill a drink on it.
You don't need a special vaccum. Just a normal one.
Normal is good?
"MY FAVORITE PART WAS WHEN RICK ASTLEY SAID HE'D NEVER LET ME DOWN" - Cosbydaf

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2006, 12:07:11 PM »
I'm trying to get my parents to get new carpet. The carpet in my Grandma's former room here is this comfy blue stuff that's incredibly easy to clean. Hopefully, they'll just cave in and get taht kind for the rest of the house.
every

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2006, 01:10:31 PM »
If you're desperate to keep a carpet clean, you can get a carpet cleaner, which is like a saop and water vacuum.  And they sell all sorts of spray stuff

I think I like carpeting better.  It's comforting.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2006, 12:54:47 PM »
Unfortunately it's doing damage to my rolling chair; one of the wheels falls off every so often.

That's happened with my video tape rack.
"If they make greeting cards to thank people for helping with evil plans, I owe you one!" ~Dimentio, Super Paper Mario

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2006, 08:08:54 AM »
Generally, your carpet damaging your stuff is abouut an 8.0 on the Not-Good-O-Meter.
every

A

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2011, 09:46:56 PM »
I don't like rugs. People with rugs have commitment issues.

Or they just can't afford actual carpeting in their room, like me.

I wish I had carpeting. It's so much more comfortable. Wood can be cold when it's cold.
"I was going to post and say "I have one of those!" because I recognized the hair immediately, but then the rest of the pic loaded and I nearly spit my drink out."
1-800-COLLECT: SAVE A BUCK OR TWO!!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2011, 09:55:13 PM »
Wood can be cold when it's cold.

no way
It's YOUR problem!

A

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2011, 10:21:28 PM »
I mean when it's cold outside you big dummy

"I was going to post and say "I have one of those!" because I recognized the hair immediately, but then the rest of the pic loaded and I nearly spit my drink out."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2011, 10:26:02 PM »
so you take walks in the woods in the wintertime eh

Faaaaascinating
It's YOUR problem!

A

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2011, 10:28:01 PM »
When else would I take them? In the summer? It's too [darn] hot in the summer.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2011, 10:52:45 PM »
Pffffffff of course not
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2011, 08:16:04 AM »
What's going on here?
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2011, 04:31:21 PM »

Shag is what's going on here.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2011, 04:49:10 PM »
It would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for us meddling kids.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2011, 06:15:17 PM »
I've got this awful gray berber carpet in my TV room. However, the living room's is a lush green!
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

A

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2011, 12:44:20 AM »
Is it bad that I read that as "bieber carpet"?

That shag is mad-ass sexy, Weeg.

Print